“Cute Inn Nice service but Bed Bugs”

Peace and Plenty Inn
Ranked #16 of 31 St. Augustine B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 June 2014

My Wife and I stayed at This Inn this past June 2-5 on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and I wanted to share our thoughts about the stay with you, both good and bad.
First and foremost we had a wonderful time, this was our first time going to St Augustine and our first time ever using a Bed and Breakfast type Inn and we found both experiences fantastic. The city is wonderful, so much so my wife and I plan on making several other trips to the area to decide if this may be our retirement location. The Inn was priced very well considering we are normally Marriott Resort folks when we stay on vacation in different places. The Inn is very charming and the staff very pleasant. The Inn advertises that they were featured on HGTV (which they were, but not because of the renovations) which lead us to believe this would be a fabulously restored old home, in truth it really is not, the trim wood is all mis-matched, there are holes in the room walls that they cover up with drapes and the photos on the site must be years old as the place is getting a bit run down, however we did have a few issues, one in particular that should be addressed...

1) Bed Bugs - after the first night I noticed some sort of red marks on my wife's legs only two or three but each night/next morning there were a few more and then I had a couple on my shoulders, I had a feeling of what they were but I wanted to be sure before I contacted The Inn about them. We had them checked by a dermatologist and she confirmed that they are Bed Bug Bites. Now when I was going to school I worked for my Fathers Pest Control Company, so I know bed bugs are not scourge that they are made out to be. They are not an issue due to cleanliness, but simply an insect that gets into bedding and feeds on human blood. The fact that we only have a few dozen bites over three nights mean that your bedding is not too infested. (I sent this information to the Inn Keep and had no response, do to the fact that some people can be allergic to the bite I had to call the department of health to resolve the issue)

2) The shower - the 24" x 24" shower was amazingly small. it was actually too small for me to fit my 250 lbs frame into. When I attempted to use the shower I could only stand in it corner to corner, the shower head was at my shoulder height, and I was unable to get the top half of my body wet. It actually seemed funny at the time, but seeing that the Serenity Suite is The top room I would have thought a proper sized shower would have been in the highest end room they had. I ended up using the bath tube for the remainder of the my stay. My wife who is tall and slim also found the shower so small and uncomfortable to use that she too uses the tube instead. While conversing with some of the other guest it seems this was the only room that had this tiny Winnebago sized shower. If I had known I would have chosen and will chose a different room next time as we are shower people not tube people.

3) The windows and shutters - now this is just opinion but you the Inn has beautiful views of the city, the trees and the court yard from the windows all of which are blocked by the shutters. From the outside of the home the shutter look nice, but from the inside looking out they look as if scrape wood was used to back the shutters and makes for an unpleasant view from the windows. The glass panes are original and should be displayed, not covered up.

4) The Grounds - My wife and I had planned on getting a message, as offered on the Inn's web site but when we arrived we did not find the garden to be private enough or kept up enough to do so, it was disappointing.

5) Parking - parking in the city is at a premium and assigned parking spots per room would be a good idea, we had one night when we arrived back at the Inn after dinner and drinks at about 10:30 pm and had no place to park. A large Pickup truck was in the lot using two spaces and left us parked at the end of the block for the night, worried if our car would be their in the morning or towed by the city. We did call the Yong Lady who was running the Inn during our stay and her first suggestion was that we knock on all the rooms until we found the owner of the truck and ask them to move it, next suggestion was to park at the meters at the end of the block and she would assure that the meter was taken care of in the morning, not being familiar with the area we took this advice but still worried if the vehicle would be towed or ticketed.

6) Service - Lastly the fact that no one was at the Inn at night to deal with issues like the parking was different and disconcerting at times. I had pictured that the Inn keep would live in the Inn? It may have just been the notion that I had in my mind but it seemed odd that the home is left the guests at night to fend for themselves. The staff leaves the Inn at about 6pm after they put out cakes and wine.

7) The food/ breakfast was very good and the service was excellent, the cakes in the evening are store bought/supermarket cakes of average quality.

The Inn has the potential of being fantastic top quality Inn but needs to be brought up to that standard and worked on a bit. The Location is fantastic and their are several other Inns on the same street

Room Tip: The front top bedroom has a balcony that would be very nice to stay at
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
peaceandplentyinn, Owner at Peace and Plenty Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

1.The Inspector for The Florida Department of Hotels and Restaurants advised that there is no evidence of bed bugs and the Peace and Plenty Inn received a perfect rating. The person who placed the complaint was directly contacted by the inspector so there would be no confusion.

2.The Shower in the Serenity suite #2 measures 24"x 28" and has a hand held shower head for easy access. Each suite is different at the Peace and Plenty Inn. Some feature two person walk in showers. The photos and descriptions of the rooms are accurate and very helpful when choosing an accommodation

3. Hurricane shutters are in keeping with the Tropical Key West Architecture of the Inn and also can be closed quickly for storm protection.

4.Grounds: We have a weekly professional gardener who takes tremendous pride in his work. Many guests choose to enjoy the walled garden and fountain when having a private massage. Drapes are closed on the pergola area at that time. Massages are also available in guest's suites.

5.Parking: There is one parking place available for each suite. Although there was a parking place available for this particular guest, he did not feel able to use it. Consequently, the innkeeper recommended that he use the metered street parking in front of the Inn. The Innkeeper told him she would pay the charges for the guest. At no time was it recommended that the guest knock on other guest's doors.

6.Service: The Innkeeper is available 24 hours a day. The Innkeeper/owner lives on the property.

Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

We have just spent a night at this b&b and can not recommend it enough. We are visiting florida from scotland and staying in a 1400 room hotel in orlando and wanted to experience more than just the theme parks. I could not have chosen a more contrasting place to stay, so quirky and unique, bianca was extremely friendly and informative and the breakfast was simply delicious, better than any we've had in orlando.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Our first B&B stay was a delightful experience. The staff made us feel if we were BFF's from the moment of arrival - offering to pick up "anything forgotten" on their trip to the grocery store. Breakfast each day was simply delicious! The complimentary drinks and cake each afternoon added a cozy, warm touch to a comfortable and relaxing stay. The location allows you to park your car and walk or trolley to most attraction areas.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Fun and relaxing overall a great value.We booked the Happiness spa suite , and we were absolutely delighted with the room and the property as a whole. The garden is lovely, breakfast fantastic, and for the price of the room , I couldn't believe the amenities and perks offered. Really a lovely surprise. The only down side is the a/c is installed in the bathroom and keeps it chilly and the room a little warmer because the way the a/c unit is positioned.You need to stroll down the street and check out the ice plant restaurant and bar, as well as St Augustine Distillery.

Room Tip: Suite 7 was great
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We had stayed at this B&B a few months ago and enjoyed our time so much we wanted to return. We booked a 1-night getaway - something very rare for us as parents.

Unfortunately, a medical emergency came up at the last minute with our son who has special needs. I called the day before our scheduled check-in to explain the situation and see if we could cancel and have a portion of the night's stay applied to a future reservation. The manager said no such thing could be done because we didn't give 24 hours notice. (The website does state this but it could probably be more clear and say that this means at least 2 days before your scheduled arrival as more than 24 hours before the 3:00 PM check-in is obviously not acceptable.)

I tried to argue our case by stating that this was something beyond our control and we would love to apply part of the cost to a future stay. That didn't matter. I tried to argue that there were two other rooms still available that could be booked so we were not really taking away revenue because they would have had a full hotel for the night. That didn't matter.

Word to the wise: if there is ANY chance you might have to cancel your reservation the day before your scheduled arrival - including if you have children with special needs like ourselves - you may want to look elsewhere before booking here.

Very dissapointed.

4  Thank Joel W
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We booked the Tranquility Suite at the last minute, and we were absolutely delighted with the room and the property as a whole. The garden is lovely, breakfast fantastic, and for the price of the room ($109), I couldn't believe the amenities and perks offered. Really a lovely surprise.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 May 2014

The house is just beautiful. Our room was spacious and private. Location was perfect. Glenna met us at the front door and made us feel like we were visiting a favorite aunt. Our stay was a great experience, Hope to make it back for a visit soon.