“Nothing fancy...good location!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Comfort Suites Downtown

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Comfort Suites Downtown
Ranked #44 of 79 Hotels in St. Augustine
Gainesville, FL
“Nothing fancy...good location!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2012

I have stayed at this hotel several times. It is a clean refurbished hotel on the edge of the historic district on San Marco Ave. It is a short walk/bike ride to shopping area and restaurants.

We have stayed in both the standard room with 2 Queen beds, as well as, the King bed with whirlpool in the room. The beds are comfortable. Whirlpool tub was clean and relaxing after walking around all day! There is a small refrigerator with freeer, a microwave and coffee maker in each room.

There is a free breakfast each morning. It is a typical hotel breakfast with a mix of hot and cold items. Again, there was nothing special but it was nice to have to grab a quick breakfast.

The swimming pool was small but adequate. There has never been more than a few people in the pool when we've stayed. The pool is clean. There are a few lounge chairs, as well as, table with chairs and umbrella.

On our most recent stay, there was a problem with the room keys. Each day when we returned to the room, our keys would not open the door until we took them to the front desk to be reset. When I questioned the front desk staff about the problem, they indicated they were aware of the problem and were working to resolve the issue. It would have been more professional if they had handled the problem more proactively rather than waiting for guests to get to the room and then have to return to the front desk.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank jdcrose
Courtyard32258, Manager at Comfort Suites Downtown, responded to this review, 6 September 2016
Thank you for staying with us at Comfort Suites.
We are currently changing our management team and we are making an effort to respond to all reviews.

We hope you had a great time and we look forward to seeing you stay with us in the future

Comfort Suites Management.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Arlington, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights on our road trip. We were excited by its location and that it had decent breakfast. The price is fairly cheaper then other hotels/inns around the area but at the same time that expression still holds true you get what you pay for. The down sides to staying here are as follows, the hotel looks like its falling apart and is very thrown together (missing paint, cracked mirrors, rust in tub, cracked walls). There is a serious gap in between the ceiling and wall that same wall also must clearly be lacking insulation because you WILL here your neighboring room guests as if they are in your room (if your planning on having a good night sleep your taking a chance of having the late night group in the room next to you in which sleeping is out of the question). I don't find the front desk warm and fuzzy but that's neither here nor there. To say the least I loved the convenient location and breakfast being included but for me I will most certainly pass up staying here again or recommending it to anyone I know.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Kara P

Travellers are raving about these St. Augustine hotels

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2012

I have booked this hotel before. Out of most of the hotels in the area, this is one of the newer ones. It is in the quieter area of San Marco and in walking distance to George St, the Fort and all the great eateries in the area. The room are roomy enough and the bathrooms are decent size. Anyone who knows me knows I prefer Choice hotels an this one doesn't disappoint very often. Pool is a bit small, but with all the sightseeing, pool is sizable enough to take a quick dunk in and cool off the kids. No restaurant on site, but that is ok. You can put all your left overs in the fridge for any late night munchies and snack on all chocolate from the sweet shops

Room Tip: One of the few hotels that have an elevator and free breakfast in the A.M.
1 Thank pmularz841
Thank you for the 5 Star review.

Charleston, West Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

Stayed here one night passing through St. Augustine. The price was good. The room was spacious and clean. The girl at the front desk was very helpful and friendly. Check in with no reservation was a breeze. Made a couple recommendations for dinner and she did not steer us wrong. Walked to the fort in the morning before we left. Would stay here again.

Middlebury, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

I stayed at this place 6 years ago and had a really great experience. Upon my return in 2012 I came to expect the great rooms, excellent location and overall pleasant atmosphere. While I did experience these things once again, what I did not expect was the cold, blunt and overall rude service from the employees at this hotel. When I checked in (at 5:00 pm on a Sunday) the young man working the front desk uttered about two words before handing me my keys and shuffling off to the room behind the front desk. No big deal man, I'm on vacation. When I checked out the next day, the older gentleman at the front desk was equally as rude (after being rude to someone on the phone). Some simple customer service training would benefit this place.

• 1 of 5 bubbles

Glenview, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

This Comfort Suites was clean, and the rooms were quite spacious; a great value!

I found the lobby, while a little outdated, to be cozy, clean, and welcoming with a large flat screen, numerous maps and brochures, and comfy couches where we sat and talked with other travelers while watching local news. The location is downtown-as the name states-within walking distance to many shops and restaurants. My bathroom had a few too many hairs on the floor for my taste, so housekeeping is not up to par.

The best restaurant in town, le pavillon, is directly across San Marco Avenue.

The desk clerk who checked us in on May 28th was preoccupied and very unwelcoming, he responded to my questions with curt one-word answers and never even looked up at me or welcomed me. Completely unacceptable behavior in the hospitality industry. The $5 parking fee per night is ridiculous and I wasn't told about this when I booked the rooms over the phone.

The breakfast was definitely lacking, with over-ripe bananas and nasty old soft apples, no yogurt, dirty tables, and a really crabby and unhelpful attendant.

Its a shame they dont train their employees to be hospitable. I would stay here again if everything else was booked, but have come to expect pleasant, helpful informative staff at all of the hotel brands I frequent, and this Comfort Suites fell far short in this area.

Room Tip: We had rooms on the 4th floor, so were not disturbed by any noise at all.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Beasey2

Ventura, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2012

I was very satisfied with our weekend stay at this property- and a little surprised by the negative reviews. We had a large room with a balcony. The lobby is a bit dark, but our room was not. The room was very clean and did not seem old or worn to me. I thought the location was great- it is a little on the outskirts of the historis district, but that's why the price is so low. Parking was easy and convenient and the area felt very safe to walk about in even during the evening. It was only a few minute walk to get to the historic district and attractions. I would definately return to this hotel- especially after having paid the high rates of more central "fancier" hotels in St Augustine.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family