“Informative to Say the Least”

Spanish Military Hospital Museum
Book In Advance
More Info
US$40.87*
and up
Discover St Augustine: Attractions Pass with...
Ranked #21 of 192 things to do in St. Augustine
More attraction details
Owner description: Travel Back in time to the Spanish Military Hospital, where the doctor is always in. Our fully guided tours take you back to the Colonial Spanish days of medicine. Learn why the Spanish were considered 400 years ahead of their time in medicine. See how surgeries were preformed in Colonial times with our surgical demonstrations. Watch how medicines were made using the plants and herbs grown in their gardens with our apothecary demonstration.
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

I went with my teenager on a Wednesday. The tour guide was quite informative giving a wide range of information.

There were no children in our little group so I don't necessarily know if he would have gone into such detail amputation wise. He did NOT amputate anything though which, given the way he was speaking, I really though he was going to do.

For our specific tour I wouldn't recommend children, but I was with a teenager so the information was the perfect sect.

All reviews
in 21 reviews
"amputation"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed 5 June 2014

I am by no expert but I have been to many of the area museums so I thought I heard a lot about St.Augustine and the different periods, but I found myself hearing all new information. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable. Dennis and Nick were extremely knowledgeable and so was Celestial in the gift shop! Please go if you are in or even around St. Augustine!

Reviewed 2 June 2014

I have been visiting St. Augustine since the late 1940's but I'd never visited the Spanish Military Hospital which we did as my wife is in the medical profession and wanted to visit this attraction. Our tour was conducted by a surgical nurse who really knew his anatomy, history, herbal medicines and colonial surgical procedures, his demonstartion of which were quite descriptive and graphic.

We were absolutely fascinated by our guides description of the training and length of time it took to become a surgeon in the Spanish military during the era 1784 to 1821 and to find the level of understanding and the practice of surgery in the Spanish military was about 400 years ahead of the British. It is an amazing story as to how that came to be.

John H./Laurel B.

1  Thank John H
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Very interesting museum that covers Spanish medicine in the late 1700's. The staff knows their stuff and while adults will enjoy it the kids will love it!

1  Thank karoga4
See more reviews
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

this was totally awesome. Our tour guide was amazing. We got to see how it was back then. And one of my daughter's class friends demonstrated that it was like to have a procedure. He got his head shaved, arm and leg amputated, tooth pulled out and much more. it was cool to see what it was like. in the medicine room,we learned stuff like what red and purple dye is made from. from bugs! You will learn how they used to it 'numb.' it was awesome. But go on tour, nothing makes sense if you don't have a tour guide to show you, and tell you about it

1  Thank kitty2awsome