“Surprisingly fun..”

and up
Discover St Augustine: Attractions Pass with Hop-On Hop-Off
Ranked #28 of 190 things to do in St. Augustine
More attraction details
Owner description: Travel Back in time to the Spanish Military Hospital, where the doctor is always in. Our fully guided tours take you back to the Colonial Spanish days of medicine. Learn why the Spanish were considered 400 years ahead of their time in medicine. See how surgeries were preformed in Colonial times with our surgical demonstrations. Watch how medicines were made using the plants and herbs grown in their gardens with our apothecary demonstration.
Reviewed 25 June 2014

The tour guide was very knowledgeable and everything was authentic to the old time period. You got to experience what life was like in a hospital before modern medicine.

All reviews
in 33 reviews
"survival"
in 33 reviews

Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

Presently surprise on this museum. Very interesting. This is a guided tour that last about an hour. My 20 year old kids and teenagers enjoyed the tour also. Very good way to kill an hour.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I only went here because my cousin wanted to go and when we walked in it was really a small place. It is very old from the early 1700's. Our docent brought it alive for us! She was very knowledgable explaining the surgeries and uses for herbs to cure illnesses. I asked her if she had a medical background & she said no. She just learned on the job. It was a pleasant surprise. I'm glad that we went.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

This was by far the most interesting attraction we visited during our stay. We had our own private tour because no one else was in the building when we arrived, but that did not deter our host from giving us a detailed tour with lots of historic facts. I learned a great deal of how medicine was conducted back in the 1700's (glad I didn't live back then) and all the research the Spanish did in the field of medicine. They were light-years ahead of any country in this area. When I return to St Augustine I plan on going back as there was so much history it was hard to absorb in just one visit.
I highly recommend this exhibit.