“DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of The Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St. Augustine
The Lodge
“DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

My family and I rented this place as a get away from everyday life. Unfortunately, from the moment we stepped into this terrible smelling lodge I have had to call maintenance. The mold and mildew smell was overwhelming. The windows are nailed shut so there was no hopes of airing the place out. The air conditioning was broken in the filthy dirty kitchen. The kitchen fan had so much dirt on it we never wanted to turn it on over the food. The floor boards are rotted out both inside and outside so at any moment you risk falling thru the floor. The ladder to the top bunk in the closet sized room was broken and rusty nails were sticking out. The doors in the home do not stay shut because nothing in this home is square. There is a decade worth of dirt on everything from pictures to souvenirs. The tv hutch leans to the left and had been glued back together. The main bathroom toilet seat was held together by masking tape. The a/c return had so much dirt, dust and grime on it maintenance had to clean it in hopes of getting the central air to work properly. Two of the bed frames broke during our stay so we had to sleep on mattresses on the filthy dirty floor. The only positive to this was I was able to remove the moldy bed skirt. When the bedding was removed in one of the rooms there was a dried out palmetto bug between the sheet and mattress. There are multiple dead palmetto bugs, ants, spiders and other critters inhabiting this property. The neglect is inexcusable and this place should not be rented until all the issues with safety and hygiene have been fixed. I have left multiple messages for the customer service department at the property management company but have not received a response. This rental properly
was over $2,000 and is in the worst condition of any place I have ever visited. Please do not waste your money on this home no matter what the rental rate is. It will ruin your vacation. There are many other well maintained homes/condos for rent in the St. Augustine area.

• Stayed June 2014
6 Thank Flbeachgo

Couples
Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Palm Harbor, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2012

I stayed at The Lodge in Summer Haven (St. Augustine) for a week in October 2011 for a cost exceeding $2,000 and was really angry. First impressions are important, and I drove up to the remains of a splintered wooden gate and the mailbox post toppled over at 45 degrees. I drove into the property and was greeted by a dead tree lying across the yard. Approaching the front door, I noted miscellaneous trash in the shrubbery in plain view. Inside, all the wall hangings and the mounted deer head were absolutely covered with years of dust balls.The fireplace screen was so dust-encrusted I couldn't see through it. What a great setting for a horror movie! There were many charming things about the place, but the dead lovebugs in every corner, the general state of disrepair, the dangerous broken-down dock out back, and the layers of dust could not be ignored. The management company responded to my post-trip review saying that everything would be addressed, and yet later reviewers of this property had many of the same complaints. P.S. The rat was there when I was, but wasn't dead yet. My dogs went crazy over something in the wall nearest the moldy smelling bunk room, so I knew there was a critter in there. Shiver me timbers...don't stay at The Lodge!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Curlyque99
Raleigh, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2011

There is a difference between quaint and decrepit and this house is a health and safety hazard in desperate need of repairs. We recently rented the Hutt and the Lodge for Thanksgiving and it was awful. Upon entering The Lodge we couldn’t get past the smell. One of the rooms was not habitable because of the strong smell of rat urine. Other reviewers mention rats and they’re still there- we found a dead rat outside our door. The rest of the house just smells horribly of mildew. We have people with asthma and allergies that could not stay in The Lodge.

The Lodge is in a state of disrepair. It’s ridiculous how many little things are broken- hooks, latches, knobs, hinges. When you try to latch the bathroom door the latch would just come off in your hand. One of the kitchen drawers has no back so everything you put in it falls out the back. The oven was not working and it was Thanksgiving. We spoke with the owner who said it wasn’t working when he was there and he had put in a work request. It wasn’t fixed the entire time we were there even though we also requested that it be repaired. We had to cook in the Hutt next door and carry food over. Many of the windows are not covered or only ½ covered by blinds which is makes it hard to sleep in the morning. The windows are also nailed shut which prevents any chance of airing out the house or emergency egress.

The house is really really dirty. The family has a lot of keepsakes around which would be quaint if they weren’t covered in decades of dust. We opened the blinds in the bathroom and the dust came off in a huge thick cloud. All of the old stuff just adds to the smell problem.

The location is amazing although the waterway in the back has been filled in with sand. We wish we had known this before we brought a boat. You can still walk along the beach and the area is very beautiful.

We didn’t request a change of location because it was Thanksgiving and we had a lot of people who traveled a long way to be together and we didn’t want to be split up or have to move all the food and stuff that we brought. The management company did offer a $200 refund after we got home and called but I never accepted because it was more important to me to have the company's assurances that the health and fire hazards would be fixed. Instead, the head of the agency refused to discuss these issues or personally respond to my phone calls. Instead he had a secretary make the offer to make my complaints go away. This house is a major health and safety hazard and instead of offering partial refunds and 10% off coupons they should do something about fixing this house before someone gets hurt.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
Pearl of the Sea Luxury Bed and Breakfast
Hibiscus Oceanfront Resort
Hibiscus Oceanfront Resort
#11 of 33 in St. Augustine

Been to The Lodge? Share your experiences!