“BEWARE OF MANAGER (Asian lady)”
Review of Oceanview Lodge

Oceanview Lodge
Ranked #42 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Gainesville, Florida
“BEWARE OF MANAGER (Asian lady)”
Reviewed 5 July 2010

So, this was a last minute trip for my husband and I. I won't go into details but more or less, if you go to this hotel, the housekeepers are great, the rooms are clean, but the Manger of the hotel, She's the only lady you see when you check in. BEWARE of her wrath! We made a simple mistake, and over and over again to me and my husband called me a liar! Listen, I'm not perfect but I am not a liar! The owner of the place (her brother in law "Earl". Very nice man)!
Like other rates on this hotel, there is a HUGE vacant/ broken-down restaurant between you and the beach. If you want to see the beach you have to have a room on the 3rd floor. And they don't allow pets on the 3rd floor. They only have TWO rooms in the WHOLE hotel that allow pets, on the FIRST floor! More or less, if the manager wasn't there, the HUGE vacant/broken-down restaurant wasn't there, And you could see the beach from more than ONE floor! It would be a great place! Man I wish OCEAN BLUE 1 (right next door) didn't close! That place was great!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jordanlasseter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 16 March 2010

Stayed at Ocean Blue 2 over Christmas break with our teenage son. Clean standard room, nothing fancy, but was $75.00 a night and beach was great. Motel off the beaten path, no a tourist area. Beach is dog friendly and St. Augustine is fantastic and well worth the trip is you like visiting historical sites.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
orlando
Reviewed 16 February 2009

I booked my reservation thru hotelclub.net (another place to avoid)
when i arrived they didnt acknowledge my reservation because of new ownership...so here i am stuck.
I asked if they could at least give me one of the open rooms at the rate i reserved on line.
Their response: Sure..no problem, we can give you the same room at the double the price.

Let my mistake be your lesson. Stick with reputable hotels.

• Stayed February 2009
1 Thank slowdive123
OH
Reviewed 2 December 2008

Stay at any hotel other than this one.

We reserved adjoining rooms a month prior to driving down to St Augustine's Vilano Beach. We arrived late in the evening after a long drive (with a sick kid) and were told there were new owners of the hotel and they gave their friends our rooms/reservation. Before going any further, I have to give a lot of credit to the woman who actually runs the place. She was more than courteous, apologetic, and kind to us, but I could not have been more enraged by the fact that they chose to ignore the reservation. She was even nice enough to comp us a room because it was so late and we had nowhere else to go. I will leave things there with respect to the rules of these reviews.

My advice to anyone considering this "hotel" is to go thirty yards away, spend a little more money, and enjoy the Hampton. It's cleaner, nicer, and the hotel actually honors reservations.

• Liked — The manager was very, very nice.
  • Disliked — The new owners are apparently not familiar with the term reservation
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank bglodde
Port Orange, Florida
Reviewed 7 July 2008

Again I'm back to review another memorial day weekend stay. While one admits this IS a motel the rooms are clean, you are steps from the beach and if you request the 3rd floor you get an ocean view. We always enjoy our stays here. Construction in the area is still ongoing but from what we saw it looks like it will be nice when done.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
Jacksonville
Reviewed 27 May 2008

We spent one night at the The Ocean Blue II before going to Daytona Beach for two nights and wished we had stayed at Ocean Blue II the entire three nights. Ocean Blue II is a small, three story, no frills hotel on the ocean. There is a building between the hotel and beach, which will block the view if you are on the first floor. The views from 2nd and 3rd floors are great. Our jacuzzi room was clean and spacious, with a small refrigerator and microwave. There is a small pool, but no other amenities. The beach is beautiful, uncrowded and clean. The town is making some municipal improvements, so there is construction going on during the day, but the results should be fabulous. There is not much nearby, but the hotel is a short drive from St. Augustine (5 miles) for restaurants and entertainment. This is a great place for rest, relaxation, and hanging out at the beach. If you are looking for luxury, and/or nightlife, go elsewhere. We went to Daytona Beach, spent twice the price for a room, had to deal with large crowds and noise, and wished we were back at Ocean Blue II. Also, check in with Donna was great - very professional and helpful.

• Liked — beach
  • Disliked — construction
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
florida
Reviewed 25 May 2008

We needed a dog friendly hotel, and this one is. It is also inexpensive. However, there were 2 large (over an inch long) dead bugs in my parents room upon arrival, and there was a live one in my room that my sister had to kill. The rooms are decorated adequately but the doors and appliances are really rusty, and the linens do not look clean. I am sitting on a bed with a brown stain on the comforter.

There is sporadic wifi, which is nice, and it is not really ocean view but I am not picky about that - I am not here to look out my hotel windows. However, the insect issue did concern me very much and I feel guilty for getting my family to book this hotel. Do not come here, even with your dog - research some more options first.

• Liked — price, dog-friendly
  • Disliked — insects everywhere, not clean
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family