“Location and Service”

Ranked #23 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Orlando, Florida
“Location and Service”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Prior to making my final selection to stay in St Augustine I did some research and settled on the Best Western for 2 reasons:

1. It had the best review/rate combination
2. The worst reviews come from people expecting too much or from circumstances beyond the hotel's control

Realize that this is a tourist hotel and not a luxury resort and go from there, but the staff do their best with what they are provided.

I requested a room with a pool view based on the reviews here on TripAdvisor, but came to the conclusion upon my arrival that it doesn't matter what side your room is on as long as you park on the pool side. Sherri at the front desk was absolutely phenomenal and was able to accommodate my request. She was enthusiastic and knowledgeable of the surrounding areas and attractions. I placed a small special request at the time of booking and was thoroughly surprised as they exceeded my expectations. (Thank you!)

The room was clean and up-to-date The bathroom is small, but adequate - as an older property I didn't expect a modern sized bathroom. Perhaps the only suggestion I would have is that during the next renovation is to merge the sink area with the bathroom to make it slightly less claustrophobic.

The breakfast area is relatively small, but it seemed relatively quiet in the mornings. During the busy season I would definitely recommend requesting the option room service since I can see how it would be cramped.

The location is most convenient to the fort and Ripley's, but well within a 15 minute walk of the other end of the historic district and Flagler College.

Room Tip: Request 2nd floor, side doesn't matter. Park pool side. Hotel is located past the corner, not...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bluetruth
Bob K, General Manager at Best Western Spanish Quarters Inn, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank you for your detailed review of our hotel. I would also like to thank you for your special request. We strive to honor all guest requests when possible, and if there is a reason we cannot fulfill a request, we try to contact the guest prior to arrival.

Thank you for mentioning Sheri. She is a very valuable member of our team. Sheri loves people, and wants everybody that stays with us to enjoy the full St. Augustine experience. Thanks again for your review, and we look forward to seeing you next time.

Bob Kenyon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
South Florida, Florida
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

The front desk staff were friendly and provided some coupons for local restaurants. The room was clean, although it was a little tight, we were comfortable. The pool was clean but there was a dead baby bird under a lounge chair. The location is great; just a short walk to the Castillo and the old town shoppes. Bottom line when looking at a value hotel like this one, it was clean, the AC worked, and the staff were friendly. We would stay there again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Eric_Watters
Thanks for your kind words. Our mission is to provide a clean comfortable room with friendly guest service to every guest. I am glad to see you found this to be the case for your visit. Hope to see you next time on your visit to our beautiful city.

Laurel Hill, Florida
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I had done a lot of research before making reservations with the Spanish Quarter Best Western. We needed/wanted to be close to the action, LOL. We were so pleased with the value, convenience of location, cleanliness and professionalism ..... with this being said we will be staying there again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Bob K, General Manager at Best Western Spanish Quarters Inn, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Thank you for the kind words. I am so glad all your research paid off and you were able to find a "go to" hotel for your visits to St Augustine. Make sure you plan a visit between Thanksgiving and Christmas to see the Nights of Lights where the city glows with holiday magic. Thanks again for your review.

Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I chose this motel for it convenient location and was not disappointed. The rooms were small as was the parking lot. Did not need to pay for the trolly as could walk every where on a two day visit....

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Darel M
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. Yes, parking is a little tight, but we do have one parking spot available per room so all our guests are taken care of. Thank you for rating us 5 stars for cleanliness, service, and location. I hope you will stay with us again on your next visit to our beautiful city.

Fort Pierce, Florida
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at the Best Western. Yes, the rooms are small as noted by other reviewers, but it was always clean and the beds were so comfortable. With so many places to visit in St. Augustine, we did not spend a great deal of time in our room. You can't be in a more convenient location to the heart of St. Augustine - so much to see! After a long day of touring through the city, it was so nice to sit and relax by the pool.
The staff was great! I can't say enough about Sheri at the front desk. She was always so pleasant and helpful.
We will definitely stay here on our next visit to St. Augustine.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Deandeedee228
Thank you for your recent review of our property. I am delighted to see you had a great time at our hotel, and in the old city. You are correct, the location is perfect for seeing all the sights and sounds St. Augustine has to offer. Thank you for mentioning Sheri, she is an invaluable part of our team who loves taking care of our guests. Thanks again for your review.

cleveland
Reviewed 3 May 2014

After reading recent reviews about this motel (let's face it -- it is a motel, not a hotel), we gave it a chance for a two-night stay because our credit card rewards paid for it. This was a mistake. Upon check in, the friendly clerk advised that all rooms had been renovated. We had one on the second floor. This is my view of what their version of renovated means -- new carpeting that was a factory misprint or second (it was dark green with orangish dots the size of quarters) and newer furniture that may have been salvaged from another hotel and crammed into a room it is too small for (for example, I could not wheel my luggage between the bed and tv stand. Meanwhile, the bathrooms -- and others have mentioned this -- are a disaster. The wallpaper was 1980s, the flooring (a mix of cracked tile and faux marble) was 1970s and the grout...yikes, I don't know. It was surface clean, but it didn't feel clean AT ALL. Maybe the owner ran out of money during renovations. I don't know. But this bathroom was the worst thing I've seen in 30 years of travel (at least in the U.S.). Additionally, you must step into the bathroom and sort of wedge yourself between the door and tub (or step into the tub) to shut the door. We're talking micro bathroom.
Additionally, garbage was overflowing from a garbage can in the parking lot at the bottom of the stairs (guests had to walk by this). And one day, without notice, water was shut off for several hours. When we returned to the room, the water was a dark rust color. I called the desk to find out if it was safe or what was going on...and the clerk didn't know.

Look, if I was driving through the country and pulled over at a roadside motel for $49 a night...and got this room, I'd be happy. It was clean. Bed was comfortable.
But I think we paid $169 a night. It's not a good value. Spend another $50 a night and book elsewhere. That's my advice.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank amagar
Bob K, General Manager at Best Western Spanish Quarters Inn, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Thank you for your recent review of our property. I would like to apologize that your stay with us didn't meet your expectations, and the renovations were not to your liking. I value all feedback, and will take corrective measures where possible.

Thanks again for your valuable input.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Although I have rated this average this is a good hotel close to downtown. Basically it's a small motel type complex but the rooms are clean and a good size, the staff are very helpful and the parking was easy. It was a 5 minute walk to downtown and the sights.

All hotels in St. Augustine are expensive but this is reasonable an the only drawback is that you van hear the neighbours.

Good value for money

Room Tip: Get a room away from the road
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your recent review of our property. I am glad you found our rooms to be clean and spacious. I hope you will consider us again on your next visit to the old city.

Regards,