“Just Ok...”

Best Western Spanish Quarters Inn
Ranked #24 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Reviewed 20 June 2014

The price you pay for this hotel isn't worth it. The rooms are mediocre and the bathrooms are too small for a family. Changing while getting out of the shower was a task. Sooo small. The beds were kind of hard but it was decent. We didn't have a refrigerator and the room seemed run down. The WIFI was a joke; it hardly worked. The pool was nasty every time we got in. My husband had to skim the bugs out of the pool and another guest did it the second day. The only good thing was its location. It's about 1/2 a block from Ripley's and about two blocks from St George St. Great location just not a great hotel for the price. You have to pay to park as well.

1  Thank Lea M
Bob K, General Manager at Best Western Spanish Quarters Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I would like to apologize for the issues you encountered during your visit with us. My staff and I strive to make each guest experience a great one, not a "just o.k." one. I would like to invite you back again and give us another chance to provide you with a superior customer experience.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

The breakfast was good and staff very friendly. Location was right on the edge of many places we wanted to visit. Would stay there again. I have recommended this hotel to my daughter who is traveling to St. Augustine later this year.

2  Thank Denyse N
Bob K, General Manager at Best Western Spanish Quarters Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Thanks for taking time to write a review of our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed our expanded continental breakfast. It's great fuel at the beginning of the day for a full day of St. Augustine sightseeing. Thank you for your recommendation to your daughter. I hope she enjoys her visit to St. Augustine as much as you did.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Stayed here for the Weezer concert. Great location, great staff. Internet signal was a bit weak, but no big deal since we spent the day shopping and taking in the many sights St. Augustine has to offer. You get a discount at Sakura (sushi restaurant) with your key card form Best Western, use it you will not be disappointed. Will stay again.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Bob K, General Manager at Best Western Spanish Quarters Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. Hope you had a great time at the show. I talked to a few guests that said it was awesome. I hope you get to visit us again real soon. Thanks again.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

The hotel was great and the staff were really nice. Great location and nice clear room. The only issue we had are the toilets are tiny even for a short person like me. Other then that the hotel was perfect for our trip.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Bob K, General Manager at Best Western Spanish Quarters Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Thank you for your kind words!!! I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and enjoyed a nice clean room with friendly service. Please come back soon for another visit to our beautiful city.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

If you're familiar with St. Augustine then you know what the parking can be like (awful!). This hotel is within walking distance of most of the old town, the fort, the tours, etc. The only problems we had were with the shower curtain (wouldn't stay closed - water all over the floor - and the parking. If you're retired come and stay, but make it during the week.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Algis S
Bob K, General Manager at Best Western Spanish Quarters Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our property. I would like to apologize for the issue with the shower curtain. I hope your stay was enjoyable and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

The hotel location was excellent for touring old town St. Augustine, FL. Staff was friendly and helpful. Parking was limited and a fee was charged. The Pool is located next to the dumpster where birds were hanging about. Birds feathers were in the pool so I felt uncomfortable swimming in it. Room was too small for amount of furniture in it. Bathroom title and wall area was in disrepair.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Bob K, General Manager at Best Western Spanish Quarters Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Thank you for writing a review of our property. I am glad you found our location(across from Ripley's) to be excellent. We think so too!!! I hope you will stay with us again on your next visit to the old city.

Bob Kenyon

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Prior to making my final selection to stay in St Augustine I did some research and settled on the Best Western for 2 reasons:

1. It had the best review/rate combination
2. The worst reviews come from people expecting too much or from circumstances beyond the hotel's control

Realize that this is a tourist hotel and not a luxury resort and go from there, but the staff do their best with what they are provided.

I requested a room with a pool view based on the reviews here on TripAdvisor, but came to the conclusion upon my arrival that it doesn't matter what side your room is on as long as you park on the pool side. Sherri at the front desk was absolutely phenomenal and was able to accommodate my request. She was enthusiastic and knowledgeable of the surrounding areas and attractions. I placed a small special request at the time of booking and was thoroughly surprised as they exceeded my expectations. (Thank you!)

The room was clean and up-to-date The bathroom is small, but adequate - as an older property I didn't expect a modern sized bathroom. Perhaps the only suggestion I would have is that during the next renovation is to merge the sink area with the bathroom to make it slightly less claustrophobic.

The breakfast area is relatively small, but it seemed relatively quiet in the mornings. During the busy season I would definitely recommend requesting the option room service since I can see how it would be cramped.

The location is most convenient to the fort and Ripley's, but well within a 15 minute walk of the other end of the historic district and Flagler College.

Room Tip: Request 2nd floor, side doesn't matter. Park pool side. Hotel is located past the corner, not...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bluetruth
Bob K, General Manager at Best Western Spanish Quarters Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Thank you for your detailed review of our hotel. I would also like to thank you for your special request. We strive to honor all guest requests when possible, and if there is a reason we cannot fulfill a request, we try to contact the guest prior to arrival.

Thank you for mentioning Sheri. She is a very valuable member of our team. Sheri loves people, and wants everybody that stays with us to enjoy the full St. Augustine experience. Thanks again for your review, and we look forward to seeing you next time.

Bob Kenyon