“Price, Cleaniless, & Location”
Review of The Cozy Inn

The Cozy Inn
Ranked #3 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Was very curious to stay here for 4 nights due to the # 1 rating for a facility so reasonably priced.
The price $ 79 for 2 nights and $ 99 for other 2 nights (weekend) was very resonable for such a clean, well-maintained facility that is a mile from downtown St. Augustine. The small, compact size of the room was starting to get to us on the 3rd day.
Only suggestion would to mark the room number of the parking space assigned for each room due to the tight parking area. Not accustomed to assigned parking for motels, but can understand it due to the small parking area.

Neil B, Owner at The Cozy Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2014

We are very happy that you chose to stay with us! We all work so hard to be sure we are a clean establishment, well maintained and try to stay economical for all types of travelers. We have all types of accommodations and do our best to match our guests with the type of room that they need and want. I am very happy that this worked for you and that you were happy with your stay. We are taking your suggestion about numbering the parking spaces and certainly considering it. Being in the historic city, we are definitely working to find additional parking for our guests. In fact, we have just purchased property (a lot) adjacent to the hotel for guests who need additional parking. Please keep that in mind when you come back to visit! We very much appreciate your kind feedback and positive suggestion and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 18 February 2014

This is a great place to stay in St Augustine. The word says it all, very cozy! Close to all attractions, downtown historic district, beaches and more. The staff is great, place is clean, parking very convenient. We will definetly be back to stay in this place.

1  Thank Maddie R
Neil B, Owner at The Cozy Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2014

THANK YOU SO MUCH! What a great heading, "Great Cozy Place to stay"! We really appreciate your thoughts and comments. So happy that you liked the staff and our location. We are all looking forward to your next visit! Again - thank you so very much for sharing your thoughts!

Reviewed 12 February 2014

Stayed at the Cozy Inn for 2 nights and enjoyed our visit. Only drawback is the rooms are quite small, as the name suggests, as is the bathroom and small sitting area but we managed. The rooms are very clean, very economical and the staff is extremely friendly. You are within walking distance of a couple of restaurants and not far from the center of town.
Good, clean place to stay but you would not want to spend a long stay here just due to the compactness. Other than that, they are great.

Room Tip: All of the rooms in this area are small, almost cabin-like units adjacent to the office.
1  Thank Eye-on-ocean
Neil B, Owner at The Cozy Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and to share you experience! Recognizing that we are "very clean, very economical and that our staff was extremely friendly" is just what we like to hear! From your description it sounds like you stayed with us in our small motel rooms. They truly are "Cozy" aren't they? We would love to show you our suites and townhouses which sound perfect for you if you wanted to stay longer in this historic city. We would love to see you again! Take care and we hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 29 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights to do a little sight seeing in st augustine. We stayed in one of the motel rooms in the original building. It was very small but comfortable. Exceptionally clean. Staff were friendly and check in was quick. No problems at all with the wifi and we heard no road noise despite being on a busy street. They were working on the water lines while we were there and had no water for a few hours. Not a problem as we were gone most of the day but we were pleasantly surprised to find a nice bottle of wine on our table to make up for the inconvenience. Nice touch! I agree with the comments about distance to the historical district - its a pretty long walk so be prepared to drive. Parking by the fort was never a problem though.

All in all, its a little old fasioned in a good way and a nice change from all of the chain hotels.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank cbr2
Neil B, Owner at The Cozy Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Clean and Comfortable and Cozy! That's our motto! We are all so happy that you found us to be all three! And we always appreciate feedback on your check in and experience with our Staff. We are blessed to have such a good team. We are pleased that the wifi was strong and that you experienced the peace and quiet we offer outside of the bustle of downtown. And lastly - thank you for being understanding of our work to replace the pipes - it was time and our guests were so wonderfully understanding and flexible! Everything is done and works great! Thank you again for your great comments and we hope you stop by again when you are in town!

Reviewed 27 January 2014

I planned a birthday road trip with my husband and our dog to travel from Tampa to St. Augustine, then to travel on to Savannah and then back to St. Augustine. I booked the anniversary suite for both stays but when we got back from Savannah we were informed that another room had developed a water pipe leak and they had to move someone into the Honeymoon/Anniversary suite. So I have the opportunity to review both rooms.

The Honeymoon/Anniversary Suite was very spacious, clean and comfortably furnished. I have to say however that my back ached the next day so I checked out the mattress. Yes, it's a bit saggy. So when I heard they switched us to a town home on our return stay, I didn't complain. The town homes are just as spacious, clean and comfortably furnished as the Suite. The only thing missing was the big bath tub that you get with the Suite. In fact, there are no bath tubs in the town homes - just a small shower stall that's not much bigger than a ship's shower. The bed in the town home was perfect and if I stayed there again, I would save money and just get one of the the town homes. There is an unfortunate element that doesn't make these town home rooms perfect. That is the A/C/Heat unit. It is situated right next to the bed, and the vents, which don't move, blows the air right across the bed. I ended up pulling the curtains over the unit but worried that it might scorch, or worse, set fire to the curtains, so I just ended up turning it off and letting the downstairs unit heat the upstairs. That worked fine but I don't think this system would work very well in the summer when you retrying to cool off an area where heat rises to the top floor.

The hotel is about 3/4 of a mile from the historic downtown area and I may opt to stay a bit closer next time I visit St. Augustine. It's not a bad walk from the hotel and if you're really not wanting to or able to walk, there is plenty of parking in the down town area.

I'll say one other thing about this hotel property that further explains the rating I gave it. Normally, I would give this property a rating of excellent in spite of the slightly sagging mattress and the A/C unit. But I'm going to dock it a rating for the experience I had when checking in. I walked into the front office to check in and was greeted by a snarling, growling dog. I did my best Cesar Milan of ignoring this dog and the whole time I was filling out forms and getting info from the desk clerks, this dog had his nose to my shoes sniffing. It was unnerving and needless to say, extremely unprofessional for any business.

Room Tip: In the winter, I would choose the town home over the Suite. In the summer, get the Suite. See my r...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank SummerTraveler34678
Neil B, Owner at The Cozy Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

I have to begin by thanking you for such detailed feedback. We take all feedback very seriously and act upon suggestions and comments as appropriate. We are happy that you enjoyed the Honeymoon Suite and the Townhouse and thank you for your flexibility as we dealt with our old piping and replaced it with new. All is working wonderfully - we are happy to say. We took your feedback on the mattress in the Honeymoon Suite seriously. We have a soft Cuddlebed Padding on it and it's possible that's not needed. Given that it's the Honeymoon Suite :) we will also check carefully and if it needs to be replaced - we will do that immediately. We have just replaced three mattresses as we update our rooms - and will be glad to replace this one too if needed. We will also check on the AC/Heating Unit. We try to make sure we have two units in the suites and townhouses so that the AC or Heat can be adjusted as needed for the comfort of our guests. This is the first feedback that I can remember that we have received regarding the ac units and I will check on any possible necessary improvements.
I'm sorry you had less than a positive experience upon check in. This is the first comment of this type also - and we will speak with our Managers. Ruffus has always been a gentle animal and our guests seem to try and pet him so he is probably accustomed to saying a big "hello!". I noticed that you mentioned that you had a dog with you also. I have had a dog too - and sometimes dogs react differently to the sight or smell of another dog - and some reactions can happen - but regardless - Ruffus stays behind a doggie gate and should not make our guests feel uncomfortable. I apologize as it appears it affected you enough to impact your opinion of our Inn and it is our goal to make sure our guests feel comfortable and safe. Again - thank you for your feedback and we will work always to continually improve.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

We really enjoyed this place. We stayed in the suite and enjoyed the spaciousness and the designated off-street parking space, but it was a little far from downtown for walking to and from restaurants and the major attractions. You have to pay to park anywhere downtown in St. Augustine, so having a hotel close to the main attractions would be much more convenient. As to the place, it was clean and neat and the people manning the place were very nice. Next time I would prefer to be closer to town in a smaller place.

Room Tip: Great if you like a lot of room and and big bath tub
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TMWalters504

Hello there and thank you for comments. From your description it appears that you stayed in our Executive/Honeymoon Suite as this is the suite that offers the full kitchen, living room, bedroom and large Roman Tub. We are proud to say that this suite is "tops" for those who want something very different, romantic and or spacious. We also offer other suites and townhomes as well as standard rooms at all types of prices based on our guests wants and needs. Perhaps you will give us another try in a different accommodation - we would appreciate that. We are happy you enjoyed your designated parking, the spaciousness of the suite, the cleanliness and the friendliness of our Managers and Staff. That type of recognition is what makes us #1 - and believe me - it's not easy to get that type of rating! We do try so hard. Also - if you try us again - please ask about the trolley - they will pick you up at the Inn and along with not having to worry about parking - it's a great way to tour and learn more about our wonderful city! Oh - and we now have Pedi-cabs! That can be fun too! We truly hope you will come back and see us again!

Reviewed 17 January 2014

I originally had a reservation for Thursday, January 2, 2014 for the Cozy Inn. I was supposed to go to a wedding in Jacksonville the next day, so I thought a day trip in St. Augustine would be fun. Due to car trouble, I was unable to drive up that day and could not stay at the hotel. The hotel does have a cancellation policy and I was afraid I would be charged for something that was entirely out of my control. I called the night before from the mechanic's shop and the manager was awesome. She was very nice and helpful. She said that the inn had been very busy and that there was a good possibility that someone would rent the room. If someone did, I would not be charged. Even if someone did not, she would only charge me $25, which was way better than paying for a room I could not stay in. I was very pleased with her understanding and willingness to help.

Currently planning another trip to St. Augustine and I know where i'll be staying :)

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Natoya A

Wow- I have to think that this is a first - a review from someone who didn't stay with us!! But when I read your wonderful comments, I realize that this review said so much about our Inn, our Staff and our motto that we will take care and care for our guests in all ways possible. We are a small family owned property and when a room is reserved we are most probably sending other potential guests away. But in all cases we do our best to re-rent the room and save our guests the expense. We can't always do that - but do our best to minimize any negative impact to our guests. In your case - you were also dealing with a disappointment (and mechanics!) so we are so happy that you agree you were treated with the respect and compassion we all hope for. Please come see us though - we look forward to meeting you in person! Thank you so much for your kind words.