“Laterra experience” 3 of 5 bubbles

Laterra Resort & Spa
New york
“Laterra experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2007

My husband and I stayed at Laterra the beginning of February.
It is located in World Golf Village and is about 20 minutes from downtown St. Augustine and the beaches.
It has a beautiful pool and very nice landscaping. The rooms are spacious and very clean and the beds very comfortable.
There is also a SPA on premises that looks very nice, though I did not get the chance to try it out.
The only problem that I saw is that this is not a low end place to stay and the fact that there is no housekeeping is odd.
I knew this before making the reservation, but I would have easily rated Laterra above average if it had not been for this issue.
It seems to me that a place such as this would take this issue into consideration and hire a cleaning service. It would be to everyone's advantage.

• Liked — style and landscaping
  • Disliked — no housekeeping
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled on business
3 Thank Brunello5

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Clearwater
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2006

I gave up my St. Francis Inn in St. Augustine to try something different and never more will I do that. I went over the Thanksgiving week (Weds-Sun), booked a 1 bedroom suite, and felt I spent my vacation driving back and forth to town.

Pros: spacious, full size kitchen, dining room with table and six chairs, washer and dryer, comfortable bathroom with two sinks and private commode area. Quiet eventhough we were next to the staircase. Full service spa next to the lobby - had no time to try it, but it looked very nice. If you like to golf, the World Golf Village is 5 minutes away. Also shopping center with a grocery store, excellent chinese restaurant (more like a take out place with a few tables, but don't let that discourage you - food is great and very reasonable - called the King Wok. Animal clinic in the center just in case you bring pets. Nice balcony outside of the condo. Resort also has a gym, nice pool and grounds, within gated community with an actual guard at the gate.

Cons: housekeeping is supposed to be there every other day, we never saw anyone come in the 5 days we were there and we were down to the last towel and toilet paper roll. Kitchen has dishes, pots and utensils, but only one dishwasher soapbar, no dish washing soap, no paper towels, no sponge. Just two packets of coffee so after that you're on your own. Shower curtain didn't close quite well so we ended up with a pool of water spilling out, had to put towels (scarce as they were) to hold it back. Only one bar of bathing soap - thank goodness we always bring our own. Went looking for the iron and found it in a closet which was filled with dirty towels (at least 15 or more) from who knows when. Main bedroom didn't have a dresser so there was no place to put your clothing other than under the nightstand's open space, keep it in your suitcase or hang it. No TV in the bedroom, only one TV in the living area where the sofa bed is, so whoever gets to the remote first wins. Dining table wobbly. One of the bulbs was out in the kitchen over the counter. (Why is that always the case...?)

I did report the housekeeping situation when I checked out and the front counter person was very apologetic and said he would look into it. I tried to get towels, etc., the night before we were leaving upon realizing housekeeping wasn't there, however, the front counter had closed at 8:30 p.m. eventhough they were supposed to be open until 10:00 p.m.

OVERALL: Great for small and large families because they have a 2 bedroom condo also. Just check for extra TV's. Price is a good value especially considering that it was during the holidays. However, I'll stay in town because I don't like to spend my time driving to enjoy St. Augustine - if I want to dine out or see the sights I just have to walk out the door.

• Liked — Quiet.
  • Disliked — Housekeeping
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay elsewhere unless you like to golf.
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank santurce

Travellers are raving about these St. Augustine hotels

Cromwell, CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2006

Great place to stay if you’re playing golf in the area and you want more than just a hotel room. Three of us (wife & father) stay in a one bedroom condo unit which comes with a full kitchen, dining area and living room. It's across from the King & Bear golf course located in a gated community. My father slept in the sleeper sofa which was very comfortable as well as the bed in the bedroom. Everything is new and very well kept. Bought in snacks, drinks and breakfast stuff which reduced the number of times we had to eat out. We usually went into St. Augustine for dinner most nights (recommend A1A & the Raintree restaurants). Wife really enjoyed the spa services. Highly recommend especially if you're staying for in the area for awhile.

• Stayed October 2006, travelled with family
2 Thank Sarnows
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2006

My husband and I planned a fairly last minute trip to St. Augustine during Memorial weekend and explored options within St. Augustine itself but the prices were really high. We decided to take a chance on staying at Laterra, despite there not being any reviews on it in sight since it's only about a year old! We were very happy with our stay there and highly recommend it. We stayed for three nights in a condo-efficiency style room, as they call it, and were pleased with its spaciousness and great view of the pool and courtyard area. We had a sitting area and kitchenette in the room with a mini-fridge and microwave. There were even utensils and plates in the cubbards. The hotel's pool and hot tub were nice and refreshing, and the grounds were very well-kept. From the pool area, we could see some of the other larger rooms and they looked beautiful, complete with full living room, large TV and full kitchen. The resort also have a great exercise room with good machines and even exercise classes are offered. The spa looked great, as well, but we didn't have time to take advantage of it. There's also easy access to PGA golf course nearby that we've heard are nice, but we're not golfers! It's also important to note that there is not a restaurant on site.
Because the resort is actually more of a rental-type facility, there isn't any daily housekeeping offered, which we found out about after we booked and were sent our confirmation email. This wasn't a big deal for us but it's probably good to know ahead of time. Also, we arrived to check in fairly late (around 10 p.m.) and their front desk closes early so they left our key and map of the facility at the guard gate. The next morning, we "officially" checked in and the front desk receptionists were very friendly and nice, recommending local restaurants and sites. Staying at the hotel allows for daily access for $25 with the resort's partner, a beach resort at St. Augustine Beach. It looked very nice and seemed to have lots of activities for families but we were unable to take advantage of this due to lack of time.
Laterra is located within a residential area of the World Golf Village complex of golf resorts and hotels and drive time into downtown St. Augustine was only about 15 minutes. Although we were concerned about finding parking in St. Augustine, we didn't have any problem finding parking, mostly along the side of the Lightner Museum.
Despite the hotel not being in the thick of things right in the center of St. Augustine, we really enjoyed our stay and recommend it as an alternate to the higher priced downtown St. Augustine hotels, many of which aren't as modern and spacious as Laterra. It's also a great place to just relax and get away from it all!

• Stayed May 2006
St. George Inn
#4 of 79 in St. Augustine
Hampton Inn & Suites Jacksonville - Bartram Park
Holiday Inn Express Jacksonville South I-295

Been to Laterra Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!