“"Family Outing"”

Ranked #46 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Alachua, Florida
“"Family Outing"”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

The hotel room was large and the beds very comfortable. Free coffee and juice available in lobby all the time. Computer and printer available to patrons in the lobby. Great wifi connection. Good customer service. A very nice breakfast with a large variety of food hot and cold as well as a breakfast area to eat. The pool and the pool area was clean and well maintained. We really enjoyed our stay. Lots of amenities so don't worry if you forget something!

Room Tip: Keep in mind, there are no elevators and there are three floors.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Newmarket, Canada
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Travelling to south Florida, stopped in St Augustine for the night at Best Western Hotel. Clean property, well maintained and close to the outlet centres on both sides of the highway. Lots of food outlets as well.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 11 April 2014

While in St. Augustine on an exploratory trip for a possible move and a visit with family, we arranged, sight unseen but based on Trip Advisor reviews, a five night stay at this hotel. Big mistake! Checking in the girl at reception (Dora?) was somewhat cordial, yet not really welcoming. We asked to see a room and the room offered had a musty, wet dog type smell, so we asked the maid who was cleaning (she was very nice and helpful) if there were other rooms and we were shown two additional rooms--one smelled better but had a more worn appearance and the other had the same type smell as the first, but a bit less overwhelming. We opted for the less worn room. Again a mistake! Since we were out and about during the day, the room was not a big deal, but at night the smell got stronger and stronger and the impact on us was like a reaction to mold--headache, swollen face, stopped up nose. But with no other option we stayed for two nights, fighting through the moldy/musty smell and the water that smelled of sulfur. After the third night, my wife could take no more and was becoming quite ill. We sought out other options for lodging via the internet, but since the room that did not smell yet had the worn appearance was now vacant, I went to the front desk and asked Dora? if we could move to the other room. She was not happy, stating that "Well, you can try it but you have already looked at how many rooms? This is an old hotel and there is nothing we can do about things." Not real encouraging! We moved all our things to the other room at about 11AM. I went to the pool and found that there were only three cheap plastic chairs and they were all cracked and broken and dangerous to sit on, so I went back to take a shower. The water had the same smell of sulfur. Finally, while dressing, a big cockroach crawled across my foot (check out the picture!) and that was the final straw! We packed quickly and then went to the front desk to checkout, taking the dead bug with us! My wife told the desk people that we were through with mold and roaches and that we were leaving. Not one comment or apology or anything from Dora? or the man there with her. They only asked it we wanted a copy of our bill--charged in full for the nights that we had stayed!
We have stayed at numerous Best Western hotels and are Rewards Card members for many years and have written reviews extolling the virtues of the Best Western Hotels both in the U.S. and Europe (Spain in particular!) but I wonder if the Best Western logo means quality anymore?
If so, then this franchise should be investigated.

2 Thank juanwilly

Travellers are raving about these St. Augustine hotels

Spartanburg, South Carolina
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Let me first start off by saying I am a hotel snob.... I stayed here for one night while traveling further south. It is your typical Best Western. The staff was pleasant enough at check in. This is directly off the highway and very easy to find, close to some outlet malls and only about 10 minutes from the historic downtown area. It was clean and very reasonably priced. It was fine for a one night stay. Just know you are getting what you paid for and don't expect to be wowed for $60.That being said overall no complaints.

Utica, New York
Reviewed 7 April 2014

This hotel was booked through Southwest Vacations and the pictures on-line were absolutely nothing like the room. It was awful. There was filth and grease on the kitchen appliances... I couldn't stand to be in this suite for 5 minutes, let alone 4 days. Luckily after a long day's journey I was able to find another, more suitable, accommodation (the Wyndham)... thank God! I'm working on getting my refund and can honestly say I will never stay at a Best Western again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Southwest Ranches, Florida
Reviewed 7 April 2014

The room was pleasantly decorated and the bed was very comfortable. I would stay here again. The dogs were welcome and there was plenty of place to exercise them. The location is close enough to get into St. Augustine. It is also pretty close to the Elkton fair grounds. We came for the dog shows and it is only 15 minutes form the site.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Clarkston, Michigan
Reviewed 3 April 2014

This hotel is in good proximity to historic St Augustine. Additionally, it's right down the street from a great outlet mall. The staff at the hotel, from the front desk to the caretaker of the breakfast area, were all very nice and accommodating. The room was plenty big enough, the bedding was very nice and it was spotless.Best of all, the rates are very reasonable! I would go back!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple