“Nice Stay”

Ranked #32 of 79 Hotels in St. Augustine
Stamps, United States
“Nice Stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

The room and pool facilities were nice. I was disappointed that the hotel laundry was out of order, but the nighttime clerk informed me that I could do my laundry next door. The staff was very helpful and the the breakfast was wonderful.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Tom L, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Historical Inn, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you for your response. I appreciate you mentioning the team member helping you at the front desk. I will be sure they know. Our goal to make your stay a pleasurable one and we are glad it was.

Best Western Historical Inn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Old style 1970s era motor court. Has been redone but not really up to snuff for the amount charged. I had hoped that being in the 'Historic district' that I could walk to the Castillo de San Marcos, but it was too far in the July Florida heat. (There are 2 additional Best Westerns closer to the action)
When he arrived, I checked in and was told our room # was on the second of two floors. I was given two 'credit card' keys. Take note that there are no elevators to the second floor, only outdoor steps. All room doors open to the outside, no hallways. The key worked first time, so I put it in my pocket.We were unpacking, when we heard rustling at our door as if someone trying to get in. I finally opened the door to find another family trying to enter our room. Their key wouldn't work. I sent them back to the office, then pulled my key from my pocket and the sleeve had a different number on it (not the number the clerk had told me). Thank goodness, we were still in the room. If we had not been there, I'm sure that the clerk would not have realized her mistake and rekeyed the room for the second family and they would have had access to all our belongings in the room.
There was also a big hole in the wall separating the bedroom from the bathroom. When I called to report it, I was told that they thought it was a 'dent' in the wallpaper. Well, it was a hole with broken wallboard and access to the space between the walls.
Always my key question: Would I stay here again? probably not, too many things to overlook.

Room Tip: If you stay here, use one of the hop on hop off 'trams' that services St. Augustine. They...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Tom L, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Historical Inn, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
On behalf of Best Western Historical Inn I appreciate your taking the time to write this review and want to extend an apology for the inconvenience you experienced. Your input is important to me and the staff here at Best Western. We are constantly looking at ways to improve our hotel to enhance our guest experience

Again, thank you for you stay with us.

Mammoth Cave, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

This was a great place to stay that was close to town without paying the in-town prices. It was a straight shot to walk downtown on San Marco, so it was doable. If you don't want to walk, there's a trolley stop nearby too. The only things that would have made this an excellent rating for me was that there were no outlets near the bed for me to plug my phone into, and the cradle and receiver on the in room phone needed some attention. Otherwise, the room was clean, the Sunday hot breakfast was awesome, and it was a good location for the price. I also marked down the service bc the first desk person I talked to upon arriving and seeing if our room was ready early wasn't very personable.

1 Thank shirlie f
Tom L, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Historical Inn, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
I appreciate your taking the time to write this review. Your input is important to me and the team here at Best Western Historical Inn. We are constantly looking at ways to improve our hotel to enhance our guest experience

Westminster, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Our first floor room looked just like the picture on-line. Clean, modern, and updated. Reality was that it smelled very musty! On-line amenities included laundry facilities - reality-- a washer & dryer (looking worn & dirty) in a covered outside area.
The room had recently been updated including the AC. There were no directions on how to control the room temperature but since the unit was located underneath the window and had the same features as most typical units, we assumed by adjusting the appropriate buttons we could correct the room temperature. Our first night was frigid even though we had turned the temperature setting up and the fan setting down. The next morning the very helpful housekeeper told us that the control unit was on the wall by the bathroom. Problem solved.
Our second evening in St. Augustine had numerous storms and torrential downpours. Opening our door we observed the enormous amount of water and that the room next to ours had water at their doorstep. Could this perhaps be the reason our room smelled musty? It made me wonder if the second floor may not have this musty odor issue.
The continental breakfast was standard. The staff was friendly and helpful.

1 Thank kcompoundsouth
On behalf of Best Western Historical Inn, I appreciate your taking the time to write this review. Your input is important to me and the staff here at Best Western. We are constantly looking at ways to improve our hotel to enhance our guest experience

Margate, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

OK, so we were staying at the Cozy Inn (see my review on that motel) when we spied the Hampton Inns Hotel next door. We really wanted a larger room with two beds and Cozy Inn didn't have one available, so we went next door, entered the lobby and checked in. After we checked in, we got a pleasant surprise in that the room cost only $95.00 instead of the $129.00 we saw on Hotels.com, so we went to our room and that's when we realized we had checked into the Best Western by mistake! They are right next to each other and we weren't paying attention. The room was musty, though nice, so we asked David if we could have another room and mentioned the possibility of a refund. He said no problem, but firs he wanted to show us a few more rooms, which he did and we found one that was really nice. He even went and got us a foot rest from another room for our sofa! David was great! The hotel was nice, clean, and about a twenty minute walk from the Historic Center. I definitely recommend this place. Oh, and breakfast was included. Nice, but simple.

2 Thank BobbyDesab
Tom L, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Historical Inn, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Thank you very much for your response. It is nice to hear you had a nice stay with us. It is our goal to make your stay a pleasurable one and we are glad it was. i will make sure David and the rest of the team; your response.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

this is a great place to stay,i want to thank the staff from the general manger and all the mangers and staff down.we stood in the suite,very nice.i want thank the staff for treating us great.i stood in a best western in savannah gerorga there no comparison,st.augustine best western historcal no how to run a hotel and make the guest happy.we took the trolly,which picked us up in front of the hotel.excellent thank you.

Room Tip: it sits on the edge of the historcal distract,but you have no need to drive,with the trolly,prices f...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Sharon F
Tom L, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Historical Inn, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Thank you for your response. It is nice to hear you had a nice stay with us. It is our goal to make your stay a pleasurable one and we are glad it was.

Historical Inn
West Columbia, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

Hard Rock Hotel is excellent in every way. Pricey but you get what you pay for. Best Western in St. Augustine just off 95 has good rates and rooms have just been updated. Best Western in Historical District is a bit pricey for room itself.

1 Thank Sandra O
I appreciate your taking the time to write this review. Your input is important to me and the team here at Best Western. We are constantly looking at ways to improve our hotel to enhance our guest experience

Historical Inn