I just spent $475 for a night at the Casa Monica when I could have had a better experience for less than $100 at Motel 6. To put this in perspective, I am a high-end road warrior who regularly calls the Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons home several nights each month. I also regularly direct many of my visiting clients to the Kesler property in Orlando, the Bohemian, and have found they do an outstanding job. The Casa Monica is no Bohemian! Specifics:
1. My wife and I arrived for her birthday celebration late-afternoon and looked forward to making our way to the hotel pool area where we had looked forward to relaxing and enjoying a cocktail around the pool during sunset. When we got to our room, we found a note on the bed informing us that the pool area would not be available to guests between 5 PM and 8 PM to accommodate a private party. Had the hotel notified us at the time we made the reservation, we would have opted for the Ritz Carlton on Amelia Island and returned to the Casa Monica at a later date. The option for a poolside sunset was then moved to the beach club which led us to the next problem.
2. We called for our car (valet only parking) and waited nearly 30 minutes. The reason we were given is that the arriving wedding party had overwhelmed the valet capacity. Now, with the afternoon escaping, we drove 15 minutes in Holiday traffic that didn't get us halfway to the beach club before turning back. The hotel's suggested option turned out not to be an option at all.
3.Upon leaving our room, we specifically called housekeeping for turn-down service and were assured it would e taken care of. When we returned to our room late at night, nothing had been done. That is unacceptable from a hotel of this level.
4. Exhausted, we headed to bed only to be awoken at around 2 am by the wedding-revelers in the hallway. We called the clerk who told us they would send someone up to take care of the problem. After 15 minutes, I arose and made my way out to address the issue myself. The people were polite and immediately moved into a room. Why did I have to do this and what happened to hotel security??
In summary, a purported four-star hotel failed to give proper notification of limited facility availability, didn't provide sufficient staff to handle valet service, failed to provide full housekeeping service and did not provide a quiet and peaceful environment when noticed that there was a problem.
A lot of work to do here!
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Travel Republic (UK), TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Casa Monica Resort & Spa, Autograph Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Monica, Autograph Collection Hotel Saint Augustine
- Casa Monica Saint Augustine
- Casa Monica St Augustine
- Hotel Casa Monica
- Casa Monica Hotel
- Casa Monica Resort & Spa, Autograph Collection St. Augustine, Florida