“Absolutely Awful...”

Ranked #16 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Orlando, Florida
“Absolutely Awful...”
Reviewed 4 June 2009

My recent experience at the Casa Monica Hotel was a total nightmare. I would not have believed the awful service if I did not see it for myself. My fiancé and I stayed at the Casa Monica on Saturday, May 30, 2009. This was our first overnight stay at the Casa Monica. We frequently dine at 95 Cordova, but usually stay at B&B’s for the weekend. We made the terrible mistake of choosing Casa Monica for our stay.
We were given Room 411. At 2:00am, pouring water from the ceiling abruptly awakened us. Apparently, the jacuzzi in the room above sprung a huge leak. After several unsuccessful attempts to call the front desk, we frantically got dressed and ran down to get help. A huge puddle had already formed at the foot of our bed. The representative was apologetic and handed me another room key. We were not offered any type of compensation. Upon entering our 2nd room, I was horrified to discover we had been downgraded. Our new room was the size of a closet. I honestly wanted to cry. How could this hotel have been awarded a 4 star diamond rating by AAA?
I could not believe my eyes when the bill was slipped under our door. We were charged FULL price. At 9:00am, we went down to the front desk to explain in detail our ordeal that night. The front desk representative offered to take $65 off the room rate. What a disgrace. We were completely insulted. I stated that this was not acceptable and asked to speak to a manager. The representative then offered to charge us $40 for the night. I found this still utterly ridiculous, but at that point we just wanted to get the hell out of the hotel. To add insult to injury, we spent $250 at 95 Cordova the night before. We will never return to the Casa Monica. The room and service were equivalent to a motel 6.

7 Thank Cappy305

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Polish first
Orlando
Reviewed 30 May 2009

I had watched a T.V. travel program some time ago where the Casa Monica Hotel was one of the featured hotels for Florida travel. The hotel looked so beautiful. St. Augustine was soon to be one of our destinations.
I booked our hotel room thru Travel Zoo because of the good value and the additional resort fees waived.
My boyfriend and I had arrived on our Motorcycles with our luggage in tow. I waited patiently to check in as there was 1 woman attending to check-ins. I had asked for bellman service. The front desk clerk radio'd to the bellman to let him know our motorcycles were in front and needed help with the luggage, the bellman's radio'd reply was telling us to bring our luggage in to the lobby. I thought, great start! - so much for service. I told her we might as well bring the luggage up to our room. Her reply with a forced smile was- Alright then ...and off I went.
The room was clean but small and our bed was quite comfortable.
Started the evening in the beautiful bar/lounge that advertised Happy Hour / Hors D'oeuvres 4pm - 7pm. Hors D'oeuvres (cheese) were not brought out till 5:10pm. Also, advertised was the Wine Tasting that was supposed to start at 5pm We had left at 5:30pm and the Wine event had not yet begun. We had anticipated using the Jacuzzi, unfortunately it was under repairs and not available on our first night stay. Parking was an issue as you have 2 choices. Either pay for 2hr. timed parking meters or the Casa Monica valet at $20.00 per night. The price for valet wasn't an issue until the Hotel wanted to charge us $20.00 per motorcycle per night.
A nice looking Hotel, but not recommended if you are looking for a vacation hotel or knowledgeable staff.

3 Thank MotoTrav
washington, DC
Reviewed 16 May 2009

I have always loved to stay at Casa Monica, but this time, I was so disappointed. First of all, there are now extra hidden fees. An extra $30 in fees for business center use and unlimited access to the in-house gym, etc. Second, we were promised a complimentary bottle of champagne but were given a much less-expensive bottle of merlot. When we asked for champagne instead, we received the standard answer, "sorry," and had to make demands before they finally relented. We paid close to $600 dollars for a two-night stay, but we felt very nickeled-and-dimed. The quality has gone down unfortunately. It is still a beautiful and special place, but we were celebrating our anniversary and flew from Washington DC for the weekend. It was not what we expected from Casa Monica.

3 Thank joemug
Newnan, Georgia
Reviewed 13 May 2009

I stayed at the Casa Monica with my mother for only one night while passing through town. It was not a planned trip, so we just wandered in from downtown St. Augustine and fell in love instantly. The lobby is gorgeous with amber lighting and Spanish style decor. Our room was very nice and clean and overlooked the pool, which we did not go to, but looked nice and relaxing. We had dinner in the hotel at the 95 Cordova, and can honestly say it was one of the best meals I have ever had. After dinner we went to the lounge which had an awesome martini menu and a really good little jazz band playing. We had a great time at the Santa Monica. I can not stress enough how beautiful this hotel is and I am looking forward to returning again with my husband.

• Stayed October 2008
1 Thank FLGA2027
Bialystok, Poland
Reviewed 22 April 2009

This is a very nice hotel, comfortable rooms etc etc. However, we were shocked when they began painting the pool deck on Easter Sunday afternoon - closed off half of the inner yard around the pool. They continued the paint job on Easter Monday closing off the other part !!!!!

Great check-in by a lady from Sydney. Good Wi-Fi + Boose. Great pastry !

Stayed ther just one night - Sunday

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 18 April 2009

My husband (boyfriend at the time)booked a weekend in a deluxe room for the two us. The hotel is really beautiful, small but very charming. It has a old-world glam feel to it. The room was very comfortably appointed, and the bed was quite cozy. We had dinner at 95 Cordova our first evening there, my husband proposed to me just prior to going down for dinner. I can't honestly remember what I ate or even what it tasted like because I was so excited but he tells me his food was excellent. I do recall that the restaurant was very chic and sexy as far as decor. We valeted the car and I do believe that is a must. The location of the hotel is perfect! I honestly believe it is by far the most plush hotel in all of St.Augustine (there really are not any 5 star establishments there).
I have to agree with a post previous to mine about check-out. We checked out on a Sunday and it took forever! The manner in which it is conducted was not efficient at all. But I just thought that was due to a wedding party checking out at the same time as us but possibly this is an issue with the hotel? We also got room service breakfast on Sunday morning and it was quite tasty, I believe we had omelets and mimosas. Either way it was a great weekend, very relaxing and romantic. The pool area is very charming as well.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
texas
Reviewed 16 April 2009

We go to St. Augustine every year for Spring Break. This year was the first time we stayed at the Casa Monica. We loved it!!! The hotel and staff were great. We have decided we will stay here every year. And the 95 Cordova restaurant is a must!!! The steaks were the best I have ever eaten (and I live in Texas and eat a lot of beef). Try the tomato and goat cheese stack salad--out of this world.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family