“Quite acceptable for an overnight stay.”

Magnuson Hotel Historic St. Augustine
Ranked #62 of 79 Hotels in St. Augustine
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Quite acceptable for an overnight stay.”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

This property is nicely located close to the old town. It's a bit on the tired side, but only a bit. Overall we found it clean and functional.

Room was clean and in OK shape. Nice beds. Bathroom was clean and functional. Decor geting a bit dated but not unpleasant.

There is a railroad track right behind the property, but the trains didn't bother us. It looked like the windows had been upgraded to provide some soundproofing. In comparison, the road out front was quite busy and I would choose the train side over the road side - traffic is constant whereas trains are infrequent.

Breakfast buffet was better than many places in this price range - some hot items available, nice breakfast area. Good coffee.

I would not hesitate to stay here again.While not upscale, there was nothing wrong with the place and we had a restful night.

Room Tip: Don't let the railroad track turn you off - it's quieter in back than out front by the road...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Oviedo, Florida
Reviewed 23 March 2014

we stayed here for two nights to visit St Augustine. First the location is poor it is right on the railroad tracks, which didn't effect us (we were in the front, but it is also located on a very busy road and if your planning on walking to attractions their are no crosswalks , its listed in the historic district but its about a half mile away. The first night they had a party in the lobby right below our room where they played very load music till 10 p.m. The following day we went sight seeing and came back in the evening to find housekeeping had not came and replaced towels, trash, ect.so I called the front desk to see if it was there policy to have housekeeping come and the receptionist said it was not. I ask if someone could bring up clean towels and he said he had some if I'd like to come down and get them. the rooms were outdated, the bathroom was very small and to turn fan on you also had to turn on crazy hot heater(we're in florida) it would have been alright for around $80 a night but not for $200(2 double beds) their was also a pullout sofa that was not suitable to sleep on. upon check out I informed receptionist of our stay and she offered to add points to a travelers card I did not have and she said housekeeping should have came after our first night. positives: we did not see any bugs, decent breakfast.

Room Tip: If your on a budget get a nicer room on I-95 and pay $10 a day to park in historic district.
1 Thank mabel4484
Cairo, Georgia
Reviewed 22 March 2014

A friend and I stayed at the Quality Inn Historic in St. Augustine while exploring the Florida East Coast Railway. Check-in took way too long because there was only one person working the desk and there were multiple families ahead of me. When it was my turn to check in I asked for a room facing the tracks but was told my room had been assigned and could not be changed because the hotel was booked. At that time a lady behind me said I could have her room as she would not stay in a room that smelled badly. I declined and stayed with the room assigned and glad I did! The room was outdated and showing its age badly but was reasonably clean. Heater worked well and did not make a terrible noise like so many do. My friend and I had no problems with sleep quality in our room. Breakfast was a joke; very little variety and crowded conditions. I settled for cold cereal and orange juice which I took to the room. The orange juice was water with orange food coloring and could not be consumed. To counter a few negatives there was one big positive...the friendliness of the staff. Everyone I encountered during my stay were extremely nice and helpful. Would I recommend this hotel to someone else? Probably not. There have got to be better choices in St. Augustine but the Quality Inn did suffice for a quick stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side of the hotel face the Florida East Coast Railway which runs about 10-15 train...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Lake Worth, Florida
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I was in St. Augustine from 3/19 - 3/21 for a visit with my daughters to explore the history of St. Augustine. It is hard to find a good hotel that is kid friendly close to the center of town in St Augustine that can accommodate a large group. The Quality Inn Historic is that hotel. From the minute we arrived with our name on the Marque welcoming us, till we left everything was perfect. All staff is friendly and professional from the front desk to the cleaning staff. We had a nice clean, spacious pool side room in the front of the building. The complimentary breakfast was great, including the sweet gentlemen and women who assist by making waffles and spreading joy. I asked for a later check out time, which was granted without hesitation. Highly recommend this hotel for any trip to St. Augustine....Also included in our $107 night stay was a 3 day Red Train Sightseeing train pass and $20.00 in gift cards for Zaxby's Chicken.....love the Choice Hotel Chains, would stay here again in a heart beat.

Room Tip: I recommend a room in the front of the building, although the view in the back faces a beautiful mar...
1 Thank WeScott6
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 20 March 2014

We spent two nights in St Augustine at the Quality Inn. The manager, Fred, was the greatest 'host'! He personally made sure that everything was up to expectations, and on the Sunday morning, he was in the breakfast room, actually making the waffles and delivering them to tables, with a cheerful greeting for everyone. That was definitely 'above and beyond', along with the delicious Florida oranges available in the lobby. The hotel itself is a little dated, but scrupulously clean, and well appointed. The location suited us, because we like to walk...and yet, nothing we wanted was too far! As a bonus, the price was right. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Madrid
Reviewed 18 March 2014

For all of the people that want to stay in st augustine FL and dont want a expensive hotel in the middle of the historic district, this is a very good choice, it is 20 minutes walking from the historic center, the rooms are really clean, and the service is great, if you are lucky you may meet a waiter doing waffles in the morning who is a nice chatter and very friendly gentleman and at the end happens that he is the director of the hotel :-)

Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed 17 March 2014

This hotel was clean and simple. It had everything I needed for my weekend in St. Augustine. The staff in the lobby was extremely friendly. It was very close to all of the historic attractions of the town. We will stay here again on out next trip to St Augustine. Great price, great location :)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple