“Jack's review”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Hudson, New York
“Jack's review”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Clean and pleasant. Friendly and helpful staff. Nice dog walk. I would have rated it higher except for the next door neighbor who had his TV on all night, so left at 4:30 AM. A nice pool but didn't use it. Near lot's of areas I wanted to see.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank John S
sabhadmin, Owner at Southern Oaks Inn, responded to this review, 5 October 2013
Dear Jack:

Thank you for the kinds words about the Southern Oaks Inn and St Augustine. I hope you come again to stay with us. Please note that we have staff available 24 hours a day to assist you. We would have gladly and politely asked your neighbor to turn down the volume on the TV.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
North Bay Village, Florida
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We recently stayed here after reading the wonderful reviews on Tripadvisor. I have to say they were all right! The staff really go all out to make you feel welcome and to help make your stay special and easy. We stayed here while on a really difficult move, and their friendliness and helpfulness was very much appreciated. The rooms aren't fancy, but they are comfortable and clean and I would pick this place over a fancier place anytime. Pets are welcome and they even have a dog run! I so wish we could have stayed an extra day, because they also have activities in the afternoon (we got there too late). My daughters were very disappointed we didn't get to participate, but what a great thing to do for guests! A scavenger hunt and crafts. Will definitely come back.

Room Tip: They will provide adjoining rooms with intraroom doors.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank gina s
sabhadmin, Owner at Southern Oaks Inn, responded to this review, 5 October 2013
Dear Gina:

WOW. Your compliments make me very proud of the Southern Oaks Inn. Thank you.
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I needed to book a hotel room for the Gentlemen of the Road concert September 13-14, 2013 with in walking distance. Most of the hotels in the area were already booked or charging FIVE TIMES the regular rate for the dates of the concert. I always stay at a Holiday Inn Express no matter what city I am in but there was not one close enough. I was pleasantly surprised with how well put together this hotel was being that it was not a major chain! The rooms were well decorated and CLEAN! The flooring in the rooms made such a difference! It was the only hotel that I have been to with a dog park! The reviews I read before booking put me at ease. We checked in after 10p and were met at the door and kindly told what room we could find the service desk person if we needed anything. I ran into the housekeeping staff on several occasions and chatted for a bit, They were a pair a great ladies, very helpful! I noted just a few things that could have helped. 1) there was only one lock on the door. Being that all rooms are accessible from the outside
there should be at least a security bar inside or an additional lock that cannot be opened with a key card. 2) There was only one curtain and NO sheer. If you wanted to open the curtains anyone walking by could see in the room. We left the curtains closed the entire time but if a sheer curtain had been there we would've used some natural light. 3) The water kept going from hot to cold when showering and the hot and cold knobs were installed on the wrong sides. 4) There was no ice machine. This was not a big deal as the housekeeping staff pre made bags of ice.

These four things did not effect my stay or impression on the hotel at all. They are just small things I am suggesting for the comfort of future guests. All in all I enjoyed my stay there and would recommend Southern Oaks Inn!

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank jujugajewski12410
Summerville, South Carolina
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We checked in to the Southern Oaks after our booked hotel was filthy and bug infested. They put us in a newly remodeled room and recommended a wonderful place to eat. They walked us to our room and made sure we got in okay. The breakfast worker was diligent about filling and cleaning the area. It is apparent that they are concerned with cleanliness. The bagels and Danish were wrapped individually in plastic wrap. The remodeling process is ongoing but the cleanliness and customer service is worth being flexible.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Christy B
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 16 August 2013

My wife and I were on our way to Orlando and decided to stop in St. Augustine for one evening. We were pleasantly surprised to meet the staff of the Southern Oaks Inn while at the welcome centre. We had a wonderful stay in this newly renovated gem of a motel just minutes drive from the beach an a short walk to the old main street. We found the rooms to be beautiful and super clean. Hardwood flooring really adds a touch of comfort to the rooms. The pool was crystal clear and very clean, we enjoyed a light complimentary breakfast, and found every member of the staff bending over backwards to make our stay a memorable experience.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank EdOl2013
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Me and my husband stayed 3 nights here after a last minute change of plans that found us in St. Augustine. The gentleman at the front desk was very welcoming when we arrived and was accommodating with my pet allergy (it is a pet friendly hotel). The room was definitely clean and I loved the wood flooring instead of traditional carpet. High quality mattress. The walls were a little bare, but I'm sure they will decorate more in time. It was clear they were still finishing up some of the renovations and getting the hang of things. We did have a few minor problems, but the the staff did everything they could to resolve them and were generally very helpful & enthusiastic. They are clearly trying hard to develop a very good product with this property and I am sure they will get there. The location was just fine for us - just a 5 min drive to historic downtown.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank FS1007
Reviewed 15 August 2013

My daughter and grandkids and I came down from Jacksonville for weekend stay. Everyone we encountered was so friendly and helpful. Our room was like brand new, the bed was so comfortable...got a great nights sleep. We'll definitley return!

• Stayed August 2013