“Clean, Great Value, Helpful Staff”
Review of Southern Oaks Inn

Southern Oaks Inn
Ranked #11 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 21 October 2013

It's always a gamble finding reasonably priced accommodation and this was one bet that paid off.It was very close to old town and very reasonably priced fro St Augustine.
My husband and I don't need luxury as we prefer to spend our time out sightseeing so this was perfect - very clean, very safe, helpful staff.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Southern Oaks Inn

Reviewed 17 October 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay there at southern oaks inn the staff there was very courteous answered all my questions. I had forgot to grab my cell phone out of the shuttle car when I arrived there,so the staff there took the time to locate the driver to bring back the phone I then had to leave for my meeting but when I returned the phone was on my desk in the room they went above and beyond great services. the rooms very clean, the internet was very fast and the new beds are very comfortable.
the grounds are nice and clean even with the remodeling. I have to say they also brought in the best bagels and the coffee was hot and fresh.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank RICHARD E
Reviewed 17 October 2013

We were concerned because this hotel is pet friendly and we were not traveling with a pet. We found our room very clean and comfortable. Located near the Trolleys which is convenient for touring the city. Also it doesn't cost an arm & a leg.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Maureen S
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Rooms recently renovated with comfortable beds and spotless bathroom, hardwood floors and new TV. Staff was welcoming and helpful with everything. Location was a good balance between downtown districts and north beaches. Would definitely recommend over the "bargain" hotels in the area, don't waste your time when this is on the same block.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Elizabeth D
Reviewed 13 October 2013

This property is undergoing a major renovation. The public spaces have been tastefully tiled and furnished, and the completed guest rooms have new tile and hard wood laminate floors, fresh coats of paint, and new a/c units. The bathroom was also newly tiled. The bed was new, and was by far the most comfortable hotel mattress that I have slept upon in many years! Although a bit spartan (there was no seating to watch tv, just one rather uncomfortable kitchen-like chair at a table, and no art on the walls, so it seemed like a work in progress), the room was extra clean. I wish the owners had sprung for a few extras like removing the popcorn ceiling, replacing the bathroom door and bathroom door frame molding (ours did not stay shut and there were signs of old wood rot), putting in a new sink (the faucet had been updated) with something more modern, and updating the old towel shelving in the sink area. However, I can overlook those things for cleanliness and that awesome bed! The staff was friendly, upbeat, and accommodating. Outdoors, the pool was sparkling clean and the grounds, while not lavishly landscaped, are nicely kept. It is a dog-friendly property, and we heard a dog bark only once. There were activities to keep kids occupied during the continental breakfast. While we don't have young children anymore, this is a nice touch that sets this hotel apart from others. The location just north of the historic district is a nice walk on San Marcos. We did not feel unsafe, even at night. We will be staying at Southern Oaks Inn on our next visit to St. Augustine and will enjoy seeing the success of this property as the owners bring it back to life.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 2nd floor towards the back of the property. The road noise from US 1 could di...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sw33t_tart
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

Passing through St Augustine and we decided to stay a night and get back on the road in the morning. We found this hotel on my hotels.com app and we went in to inquire. Rates were cheaper at the desk so we booked a room for the night. The woman at the desk was very nice, the lobby was spacious and nice. They allow pets without a weight limit which is nice to hear since I have two big dogs I would like to travel with.

The woman gave us our room number and just said to go around bak to park and get to the rooms. We went around back and every room looked deserted and inside you can see they were still doing construction on the rooms. We got out anyway and started walking to the room that had our number on it until we realized we must be in the wrong place. It was so dark. We got everything back in the car and drove to another back part of the lot. We finally found it. The room was clean and pretty nice. The wood floor was nice, the beds were comfortable and it had a fridge, microwave, tv, ironing board, iron and hair dryer.

Rooms were noisy though. When a/c went off I could hear everything outside, downstairs and next door. Also the comforters weren't thick enough to keep us warm so we used two for the night.

Breakfast was ok - bagels, danishes, cereal and yogurt. Fine for me but might disappoint those who like eggs or waffles.

One thing strange about the rooms would be silly, and has no impact on what I think of the hotel, it's just something I noticed. Why did they place the tv on the wall? It had the wires hanging down the wall to the floor which looked sloppy. Just place the tv on the table and leave it like that.

Seems like they had a nice little gated dog area and a pool. Everyone seemed friendly. It also seems like they're in the middle of renovating it. I think with a little more it can be a really good place. For the price it was okay for me. I would go back.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Renee N
Reviewed 7 October 2013

The room was great, just big enough (who stays in their room anyway in St. Augustine).
New floors and beds and nice TV, very clean.The staff was super nice, helped with everything we needed or asked. It was a great trip and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
3  Thank kristin424
sabhadmin, Owner at Southern Oaks Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Dear Kristin424:

Thank you for staying at the Southern Oaks Inn. I am very happy that you had such a good experience staying with us. I hope we see again soon.