“Worth a try”

Southern Oaks Inn
Ranked #10 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Stay here! The staff was among the friendliest I have met in many years. Southern hospitality - terrific.

The rooms are sharp, the flooring looks good, the bedding is adequate and comfortable, not bad. Very impressed on walking into the room for the first time.

They are working hard on a short-staff to finish renovations and so forth, the hotel was recently acquired in 2013, from what I understand.

My only recommendations are: 1) to conceal the cabling from the wall-mounted television - this can be done with 1" faux paneling/housing from a construction store. Does not need to dangle like that. 2) Clarify at what time guests should expect maid service by brochure or at check-in. Time of arrival was inconsistent and I want to ensure I'm not in the room so that it can be properly cleaned. One day they arrived around noon, another day around 4 P.M. and so forth. A D.N.D. card should be printed which indicates request for service on the reverse.

Overall, we were quite happy and would more than likely return. This is a fine hotel, only 1 Mi. from the district and around the corner from a fort attraction.

Room Tip: Ask for a window when maid service will visit so you can plan your departure.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Estos_Nueces

Reviewed 12 January 2014

This is an older motel going through a major remodel. Our room was very clean and comfortable. Only 1 lamp, towels and toiletries were limited but just enough. Continental breakfast was also limited, but adequate. When we had a problem with noise outside of our room, the manager insisted we move to a nicer room. We found a gift and flowers in the room from the staff to apologize for our inconvenience - awesome!
The dog park/play area is fenced - much better than most other hotels. We would recommend this place if you can be tolerant of the ongoing construction. Find a coupon and get a great discount.

Room Tip: Avoid the area near the laundry room.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jeena20732
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Great Access, Fine Accommodations & Wonderful Staff. Kevin was very thoughtful about the the early timing of our arrival. Reservations were quick & easy. Very nice rooms. Close to everything but away from the hubbub. Will be back again to try that gorgeous pool! Thanks again to the Staff for a great Christmas stay!

Reviewed 2 January 2014

CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN I can't say enough about it! Everything was just perfect! The staff was friendly and helpful. There was some construction going on but they started late enough that I was not disturbed (I can't answer for the rest)

Room Tip: Ask first if there is any construction going on and what time they will start.

A lot of re-modeling going on, only reason I didn't rate them a 5
Entire Staff was very friendly and helpful
Room was spacious, comfortable and clean
We had a GREAT time and will return...maybe with our pup Skipper.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

Was looking for a conveniently located, pet-friendly hotel in St. Augustine during Christmas week, and that's what this hotel is all about. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Room was very clean. The hardwood floors don't lie. An older property that's being re-modeled. The building we were in was completed, so no construction noise. But, as parking is right outside your door, there was some noise from inconsiderate guests returning at 1 AM. Hotel is close to old downtown area, but not in walking distance. There are trollies that will take you there and back, and I can recommend the one across the street from the hotel. Half the price of the competition. Traffic downtown was miserable, so think twice before driving there if a holiday weekend. The only disappointments were the noisy parking lot, and the limited breakfast offered (free). Pasteries, cereal, juice & beverages. No cooked breakfast available, but the price was right.

Room Tip: The further back, the quieter it will be. First floor was very convenient with my small dog.
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I was told I would be given a room in the new building and that the new building was going to be made for people traveling without pets. I was not given a room in the new building. The housekeeping staff did not remove garbage the next morning (we were there three nights), and while I understand the need for conservation, my son had left a milk carton in the trash can. Yuck - we had been gone all day so that milk should have been removed. A simple check should have been a cue that, hey, there's milk in that trash can, and it needs to go bye-bye. But the sink hadn't even been wiped out, and I know because a hair that was there that morning was there when we returned.
I had picked this place because the price was reasonable for the holiday season, it had wood floors which cuts down on our allergies, and it was still fairly close to town. AND I was told I would be put in a room in the new building. The shams had dog hair on them, and the first morning, my eyes were swollen, so I kept putting them on the chair. The beds were okay, the tub was brand new (a plus).
We had to request extra towels as well as a blanket because it was cold during our visit.
Like I said, it was just okay, but there are other places I will consider next time. It wasn't awful, but since I'm not traveling with animals, I'll leave it for those who are.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family