Exterior was from an old Days inn - once you look past that you're fine. The new owners purchased this property and are spending the money renovating the front half, and they are spending money in the RIGHT places - the rooms. Sure the back half looks under par, but the parking lot where you are supposed to be is well lit, close to the room (the main advantage of that horse shoe shape), and again, you're staying in the front, not the back half.
The rooms are gorgeous. They have put down all tile or laminate/hard wood (the reason they say they are pet friendly, nothing to mess up). There was no odor from smoking (fee if you do) or pets at all. We had a leather couch and dark wood desk. Tell me the last time you actually had WOOD slat blinds in your hotel room? Nice adequate flat screen tv mounted on the wall so it did not get in the way. Room space was okay, you're not running sprints down the length but not shuffling around furniture either. The bathroom is a little tight, good luck soaping up in the shower without once bumping your elbow - but no where near a deal breaker. Beds felt good, not worn out hotel mattresses. Pulled all the sheets/mattress cover back when we got there (habit of mine) and could not find anything except clean stain free linens.
The lobby/kitchen is nice, and a friendly staff. They had a cafeteria style serving line during the weekend, and the same line up but on a counter during the week. The food tasted good and everyone I spoke with was very polite and helpful.
Location is good. If you decide to take either shuttle they are right there, or its a few minute ride to downtown. I think its the location that is just a tad removed that will help this place be a great affordable place to stay that makes you feel like you are getting more than you are paying for.
You wont be disappointed, recommend staying here - unless you get the last room on a weekend I wanted to come up....
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Conveniently located at the northern entrance to historic Saint Augustine, Southern Oaks Inn is welcoming guests to the newly renovated and redesigned hotel. Spacious guest rooms offer comfortable queen or king beds and new furnishings. Relax by the pool, enjoy the complimentary, full hot breakfast in the spacious dining area, and visit our concierge to discover all there is to see and do in this beautiful city. Restaurants and shopping are close by, and the boarding station for the downtown trolley service is just across the street. The Inn is pet friendly, as well. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Agoda, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Southern Oaks Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Saint Augustine Rodeway Inn
- Southern Oaks Inn St. Augustine, Florida