“GREAT AND CONVENIENT PLACE TO STAY”

Howard Johnson Inn - Historic ST. Augustine FL
Ranked #61 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Reviewed 21 July 2014

A very claean room and well conditioned. Pleasant communications with Staff. Ufortunately we were not able to get a receipt for our stay or even how much was going to be charged to our room; because we did not make the reservation, but I paid for it with my credit card and would like to have known either before or after my stay.

Walter C. Bowman
Bowman Architects & Engineers
(321) 205-9700

Room Tip: On the South away from main street.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank WalterBowman

Reviewed 19 July 2014

We stayed in a family suite for two nights. The exterior was old, but well kept. I paid more than I normally would for a motel this dated. But we needed a suite, and I wanted a place convenient for the train stops. The space provided was adequate, there was an older, musty smell to the room. The location is good. However, the king bed felt like sleeping on the floor. I didn't check for bed bugs, not sure if I would know what I was seeing--I'm new to the bed bug monitoring--but I wish I had at least checked. When we got home, my husband said, "I think I have bed bug bites!" He has a patch of bites on the back of his shoulder area. I've seen a lot of mosquito bites but never in a patch like this.

Room Tip: Check for bed bugs.
2  Thank CCM0822
Reviewed 18 July 2014

After reading some of the previous reviews regarding the cleanliness and age of the motel, I was somewhat concerned as to what would await our arrival. The room was spotless, the bed linens crisp and clean and the bed itself very comfortable. Yes, the bathroom is small, but for the price it was more than adequate. The breakfast is somewhat limited but sufficed until we could find time for later meals. All in all I was very pleased and recommend the HOJO! We will stay here on our next visit to St. Augustine

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank medmagee
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My wife, grandson and I checked into the Hojo Historic Inn on Monday and planned on staying through Friday morning. We asked at check in if we could reserve the same room for Fri / Sat / Sun (in case we wanted to stay longer) and we're told that it would be no problem. On Friday, we had to change rooms despite what we were told. In the original room, we had a leaking, non-working refrigerator. We told the front desk and nothing was done so we left a towel down to soak up the water. We moved into a new room, a handicapped room, on Friday (we were told we had to move rooms because ours was booked but no one checked into that room during the weekend). A cat ran into the room and hid under a bed. Our grandson is extremely allergic to cats. I called the front desk and the clerk came over. He had to call another man, who I think lived there and owned the cat, to catch the cat. While using the wall mounted hairdryer in the bathroom, a fuse blew out. I notified the front desk at 9:45 a.m. that the fuse blew and we had no t.v., microwave or electric outlets. We returned to the room at 10:30 p.m. and still no power. I called the office and again he came over, stated that there was nothing he could do because his maintainance man lives far away. He said the only thing he could do was change our room, again. I told him that we reported the problem hours ago and would not be changing our room at that time of night on our last night. We checked out in the morning, still with no t.v.or power, and despite all the problems, still paid full price. With the problems and incompetence we faced, we will not stay here again and would not recommend this motel to anyone.
Oh yeah, there were several guys who placed a charcoal grill in bed of a pickup truck and grilled in the parking lot every night.
We suffered the inconvenience of moving rooms during our stay, cats hiding in the room, leaking refrigerators, fuses blowing out .....

Reviewed 14 July 2014

My only complaint was with the WiFi, but there was a storm that recently passed and that may have contributed to the problem! The front desk staff and manager really tried to help.... but it was just not happening.

Easy walk to downtown area.

Good value breakfast included in the room price.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

The staff was courteous, friendly, and informative..the rooms were very clean. The only thing I would suggest is to add more cable channels like Lifetime and AMC. This was our second stay at Howard Johnson's anf and we will definitely stay here again. We love St. Augustine

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We were extremely pleased with housekeeping. The room was cleaned each day we stayed extremely well. The front desk staff was pleasant & professional and the breakfast and other amenities were well kept. (except for some ants on the counter at the breakfast and they cleaned it immediately). I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone (especially with a family). The area in which the hotel is ideal for getting around town and to see the other sites. Thanks for an enjoyable stay.