“Handy location”

Ranked #49 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Thatcham, United Kingdom
“Handy location”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

Handy location being on main road into St Augustine and trolley bus stops right outside. Indian receptionist / owner friendly and helpful but English being his second language was a bit vague when we asked for recommendations re local dinner. Also lobby and main rooms, i.e. breakfast area, smelt vaguely of curry, not too bad in the evening but not what I wanted with my breakfast. Our room was basic, beds comfortable enough and if you stood on tip toes could actually see the sea!

Room Tip: Choose room on 2nd floor towards the back away from the road and with view of the pool
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank NikiB5382

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

I arrived at this hotel late Saturday night November 10th. The woman at the counter was extremely rude. I asked if they had any military discounted rooms She replied very nasty and said no. The room was $170 which I found to be completely over priced considering the hotel was in really poor condition. On my way out I mention how rude the lady was to my brother-in-law. My brother-in-law, my girlfriendnd and I were walking up stairs, (my brother in law escorted us to make sure we got to our room okay since it was dark and we are young women)when she came running out of the room and said no 3 people to go in the room and was insinuating that we were all going to be having sex together. Then she ripped the keys out of my hand and told me to leave. I have never been treated so horribly at any place of business in my life. This woman should be fired immediately! !! I would never stay at this hotel!!! I'd sleep on the streets first. hotel avoid I would stay in a tent on the street first

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank ccthompson1017
shelleybell1, Director of Sales at St Augustine Island Inn, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
We are sorry you did not have a good experience at the St. Augustine Island Inn. You visited on a very busy weekend and the rates were reflective of the area. We were given the impression that you were having several extra people utilize the room and facilities - not just three. We were unable to accommodate you. We promptly refunded your money and asked that you depart. We are sorry if there was some confusion but we must always consider the safety and the experience of our other guests.
Valrico, Florida, United States
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We came here to stay a few days with my sister and brother in-law.
We enjoy are stay it was nice size & clean room . And very Peaceful. We love the baloncy between the room.
I would stay here again and tell people about it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Orlando
Reviewed 14 October 2013

The title about says it. I booked this hotel online and when I arrived I was told that they were sold out of my room type and that I needed to call Hotels.com to cancel and get a refund. I asked for any other room and they told me they were completely sold out except for suites which would cost more. I very politely asked about being upgraded and paying the difference in rate, which ended in the manager slamming his hand down on the desk and raising his voice. I then witnessed another employee yelling at guests (an elderly woman, her son and his wife) in the hallway. I've never seen anyone treat customers this badly. As she was yelling at these guests I changed my mind and walked out. I found a much better deal with down the street for a lower rate.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank wlowe
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 11 October 2013

We chose this hotel because everywhere else was full during the Mumford & Sons concert. Honestly we expected a low rate motel room because we payed really cheap, but when we opened the room it was extremely nice. The staff was incredibly nice, we asked for extra items and they had no problem with handing it to us within 2 minutes, I stayed at a holiday inn once and they took forever. This motel was really close to the beach and in a very quiet area which we loved. My wife and I will surely come back to stay if we ever come to St. Augustine ever again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Parker S
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Booked a hotel block for my wedding and they were a nightmare. 6 guests stayed there and all of them had something to say about the way they were treated. The staff is obnoxious and brought two of my friends to tears by overcharging them (or trying to overcharge one of them) and not explaining the situation to them in a civil, professional manner. Not to mention the same woman bad mouthing my guests to the other guests!! Unreal! Save your money and stay elsewhere. There are a ton of cleaner, more friendly places in St. Augustine.

Room Tip: Save your money and stay elsewhere. There are a ton of cleaner, more friendly places in St. Augustin...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Gillette13
shelleybell1, Director of Sales at St Augustine Island Inn, responded to this review, 27 September 2013
We are very sorry you felt that attendees of your wedding were not happy. We did try our best in a difficult situation to please everyone. Your wedding was the weekend of the very large music festival event in St. Augustine. All hotels in the area were near capacity and were at very high rates for the weekend. When you had a hotel cancel your wedding block because they could make more money from festival guests, we offered to honor a lower rate to try to help your guests out. We did not over charge anyone. We abided by the very clear stipulations for your reduced group rate - ie cut off dates, minimums and valid payments. When your guests did not abide by those stipulations, they were charged higher rates. At any hotel, a guest must supply a valid credit card for guarantee. When their card was denied, we tried not once but three times to contact them and left messages asking them to please contact the hotel with a valid card or their reservation would be cancelled. When they did not return any of the calls, we did cancel the booking. Then they showed up as a walk in and tried to book a room. Well the rate was obviously higher then as it was a full month after the cut off date. Other guests tried to check in as early as 9:00am. Our published check in time is 3 pm. We understood your guests needed to prepare for the wedding, so we allowed guests to check in early at 1 pm at no extra charge. But if they wanted to arrive in the morning and use the facility for the entire day, there was a surcharge of $50. This is normal hotel policy. Other members of your group wanted to allow extra guests to use the hotel facilities. Our hotel rates are based on single or double occupancy. When extra guests were brought in, there was a surcharge per person. Again this is normal hotel policy. During this special event, some hotels in the area were even using wristbands to identify their paying guests and to keep out any extras. While we did not go that far, it was still totally understandable why we would abide by our policies during the event. None of the hotel rules were out of line or even out of the ordinary. Your wedding guests still paid far less than we could have charged for their rooms or what they would have paid elsewhere.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 August 2013

This hotel should be SHUT DOWN by the board of health! Extremely dirty. There was blood on the pillow cases! The towels were filthy and when we got in the room the toilet hadn't been flushed. The AC was extremely loud and I felt even dirtier after taking a shower. The whole place smelt like curry. They make you pay upfront for your stay which meant a torcheress time for me. It looks like a place right out of a murder investigation! Not even close to the beach. NEVER STAY HERE!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: RUN while you can and spend your money somewhere else even if it means spending a little extra!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank SaraStrom
shelleybell1, Director of Sales at St Augustine Island Inn, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
We are very sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us. But we are also very confused by your review. Our rooms are very clean and many of our reviews stress that as one of our strengths. We have new mattresses on our beds so they are extremely comfortable. If you had a stain on your linens, we are very sorry. Hotel linens are difficult to maintain and for obvious reasons are washed and dried at high temperatures. This insures that they ARE clean but this sometimes results in burn marks or imperfections. We constantly replace them as needed. If you had let us know, we would have been happy to replace them. Our hotel is in a safe location and is by all means a safe place to stay. We provide many extra values in our low rates. All our rooms have microwaves and refrigerators. The entire hotel has free Wifi. We have free covered parking. And we are a short 15 minute walk to the beach through a pretty boardwalk park. We are a great value and accommodation in St. Augustine Beach.