“"Clean and affordable"”

Ranked #50 of 79 Hotels in St. Augustine
Tallahassee, Florida
“"Clean and affordable"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the St. Augustine Island Inn, it was clean and affordable. The staff was friendly and accommodating. I could tell this older hotel is cared for and was comfortable. In fact, we were so comfortable, we reserved an extra night with no problem. If you want a clean, comfortable, affordable room for a night or two, this a very good option, I will tell my friends about it and I will stay again.

Room Tip: The king/Jacuzzi room was very spacious!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank heather w

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Villa Rica, GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

Let me start by saying that, for me, a hotel should be a clean, comfortable place to shower and sleep; I'd rather spend my vacation money enjoying local food, activities, and nightlife than on an expensive hotel -- unless the hotel IS the vacation. While this hotel could use some updating (random furnishings and artwork), the price and location were just right. Some reviewers have complained about the inadequate continental breakfast, but again, I'd rather eat out, anyway. A free breakfast isn't worth complaining about, to me. Hotel staff were friendly, but not sycophants. The hotel is on the beach side of A1A, but it is not ON the beach. However, the walk down the boardwalk to the was a pleasant stroll, and for pity's sake, if you can't walk 10 minutes to get to the beach, what are you doing on the beach? :) We had a king suite with a Jacuzzi tub, which was relaxing after our 7-hour drive. The bed was quite comfortable, the linens were clean, the towels were fresh, and the room looked and smelled clean. No complaints!

Room Tip: Ask for a king suite with Jacuzzi; skip the continental breakfast and go to the Sea Oats Diner just...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LizLSB
Tallahassee, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2013

This hotel is a great value, and it is kept neat and clean. It was nice to stay close enough to the beach with out feeling like you were in a "tourist trap" location. Comfy bed, too :) The hotel staff we came into contact with were pleasant and friendly.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Quiksurfer05
Altamonte Springs, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

Although the location and price were not too bad for our visit, the customer service is the reason we will NEVER stay at this place again. We booked by phone after they matched the Hotel.com price listed. I thought "Great, they were helpful and accommodating". The reviews were good and bad but the price made us give it a shot. When I booked the room it was for 2 adults and 2 children (ages 2 and 3). At the last minute my 11 year old stepson came along which I didn't think would be a big deal as it's never been an issue at ANY other hotel we've stayed at. My husband checked us in on arrival while I waited in the car with our kids. The room was clean but outdated. Who really hasn't upgraded to flat screen TVs?? The beds were comfortable and we were close to the beach. The next morning we went to the beach and then came back to get ready to go to the historical district. As my husband stood at the sink by the front door we heard a knock and then some lady (I'm assuming the same from the posts below) used a key and walked right into our room without any answer. She started yelling at my husband that we have to pay and extra fee each night of our stay because we have 3 kids (ages 11, 3 and 2) and can only have 2. My husband followed her to the front desk where he promptly asked for the manager. He apologized and told my husband there would be no fee. During this whole conversation my husband said the lady from the front desk continued to argue and argue that we had to pay until the manager finally told her to drop it. I can't believe she has a job!!!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Rachel0323
shelleybell1, Director of Sales at St Augustine Island Inn, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
We are very sorry you had an unpleasant experience at our hotel. We strive to make every stay a pleasurable one. Technically the policy is that children under the age of 2 do not count towards the occupancy of the room. So your three children did actually make the room count 5 as they were all over the age of 2 and a charge could have been applied. But as our manager showed, hospitality is not always about sticking to the rules. Staff members are trained to enforce the rules. But in this case, they should have just referred you to the manager and allowed him to make the decision. We are sorry the situation was handled in the manner you experienced. We hope you enjoyed your stay in St. Augustine and will consider giving us another try should you come back this way.

Travellers are raving about these St. Augustine hotels

Thatcham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

Handy location being on main road into St Augustine and trolley bus stops right outside. Indian receptionist / owner friendly and helpful but English being his second language was a bit vague when we asked for recommendations re local dinner. Also lobby and main rooms, i.e. breakfast area, smelt vaguely of curry, not too bad in the evening but not what I wanted with my breakfast. Our room was basic, beds comfortable enough and if you stood on tip toes could actually see the sea!

Room Tip: Choose room on 2nd floor towards the back away from the road and with view of the pool
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank NikiB5382
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

I arrived at this hotel late Saturday night November 10th. The woman at the counter was extremely rude. I asked if they had any military discounted rooms She replied very nasty and said no. The room was $170 which I found to be completely over priced considering the hotel was in really poor condition. On my way out I mention how rude the lady was to my brother-in-law. My brother-in-law, my girlfriendnd and I were walking up stairs, (my brother in law escorted us to make sure we got to our room okay since it was dark and we are young women)when she came running out of the room and said no 3 people to go in the room and was insinuating that we were all going to be having sex together. Then she ripped the keys out of my hand and told me to leave. I have never been treated so horribly at any place of business in my life. This woman should be fired immediately! !! I would never stay at this hotel!!! I'd sleep on the streets first. hotel avoid I would stay in a tent on the street first

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank ccthompson1017
We are sorry you did not have a good experience at the St. Augustine Island Inn. You visited on a very busy weekend and the rates were reflective of the area. We were given the impression that you were having several extra people utilize the room and facilities - not just three. We were unable to accommodate you. We promptly refunded your money and asked that you depart. We are sorry if there was some confusion but we must always consider the safety and the experience of our other guests.
Valrico, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

We came here to stay a few days with my sister and brother in-law.
We enjoy are stay it was nice size & clean room . And very Peaceful. We love the baloncy between the room.
I would stay here again and tell people about it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple