“Wonderful Mother's Day Weekend”

World Golf Village Renaissance St. Augustine Resort
Ranked #32 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Reviewed 11 May 2011

I drove four hours to this resort. When I arrived there was a person who checked us in located in the middle of the lobby. The check in was fast and pleasant. As elite members we were offered either a coupon for a drink at the bar or free WI-FI in our rooms. A nice touch. They advertised a special Mother's Day Brunch, the senior rate was $32. We immediately made reservations for the next day. I requested an upgrade and was accommodated. My room overlooked the pool and a lake and it had a balcony. Immediately we felt good.

The hotel is a atrium style, with a huge mobile that is many stories high, very interesting and impressive. It has water running over a rock formation that is tranquilizing. The next morning we looked over the rail while waiting for the elevator and saw what looked like a huge buffet from 7 floors up. When we reached the lobby and walked over to the restaurant. By the way, they extended the seating into the lobby to accommodate all those who wished to partake of this fare. The buffet not only tasted very good, but the presentation was outstanding. They had variously shaped cups and glasses which contained a variety of side lights. For example, they had cream cheese and lox in a small wine shaped glass with pieces of bagel on the sides, much the way lemons are served. The had a southwestern salad, a Caesar salad and several others all displayed in various shapes vessels. The had the obligatory omelet station, a pasta station and a carving station serving prime ribs. They also had lobster bisque, large cocktail shrimp, a variety of vegetables and all the traditional breakfast foods.
For the children they had chef's hats and aprons. They set up a low table for the children to customize pancakes, with a variety of toppings. Needless to say the desert bar also consisted a large variety of deserts that were prepared in various size and shapes of glasses. What a treat. The staff was pleasant although our waiter was kind of slow in taking away the dirty dishes. My wife's Mother's Day was a success from breakfast on. That evening we ate in the lounge. This was not nearly as successful a dining experience as we had in the AM. The service was extremely slow at a time when they were relatively empty. It took us about 2 1/2 hours to complete our meal. I ordered a Cobb salad without bacon, it came with bacon. I ordered a ham and turkey sandwich, this too came with bacon. I told the server who indicated that she knew that I ordered the salad without bacon but I did not indicate it that for the sandwich. I then informed her that the salad did indeed come with loads of bacon that I fished out of the salad, it was replaced after an extensive wait. My wife ordered a turkey Reuben sandwich, it came as a corned beef sandwich. This too was returned.
Overall, the hotel was extremely well maintained, the rooms were large, cheery and comfortable. I would love to return there again. This was a level 5 hotel which has recently been downgraded by Marriott to a level four. It seem like a level 5 to me.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stusil

Reviewed 29 April 2011

We just completed our annual Session of the Grand Chapter of Florida, Order of the Eastern Star at this wonderful resort. This was our second year at the Renaissance Resort for this event and once again our 1000 + members in attendence were extremely delighted. The hotel staff as well as the convention staff could not have been more helpful or courteous. Their cheerful attitude deserves an A+. We found the banquet food at the convention to be every bit as delicious as in the cafe' at the hotel. The atmosphere throughout our week long stay was upbeat and enjoyable. On behalf of our organization I thank you for another great job!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 April 2011

My husband and I stayed at this resort for a wedding that was held in Downtown St. Augustine and I was disappointed overall. The hotel reminded me of Embassy Suites as far as the interior lobby- all of the hallways had open balconies that looked over to the lobby, so it was extremely loud, especially at night. The rooms also had large gaps under the doors, so people talking in the lobby echoed right up into your room, so it was hard to sleep when people were in the lobby bar late at night. The rooms were clean and we had a rate of $119 a night and I thought it was a good value, but I know we had a special rate due to the wedding party rate. I would not pay more than that to stay there. My husband golfed and thought it was very expensive, but a nice course. I had planned on hanging out at the pool all day while he golfed and this was the biggest disappointment of the trip- the pool was SO small and not resort-like at all. It had maybe 20 chairs around it and there was no pool bar/restaurant, so to get a drink (even a water or coke), you had to get up and walk into the lobby bar, which was a big pain in the butt. It felt like I was at a holiday inn pool. The hotel was also a good 30 minutes from downtown St. Augustine where all of the restaurants, sites, and bars are located, so that is also an issue. They did have a shuttle that took you down there, but it only ran at certain times, so we ended up driving our own car b/c the times weren't convenient for us. Overall, if you are staying here to golf, you will not be disappointed, but otherwise, find a different hotel.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 March 2011

We originally booked this hotel for a 4 night stay, but things were so nice and the weather was so wonderful that we decided to extend our stay by one night. The hotel was very clean and comfortable. The pool is heated which was nice, but is starting to show some age and needs some updating. Other than that our stay was GREAT. We were given a very good rate that included a buffet breakfast, that had everything anyone could want.
The hotel is out of the way from any town or beach, and the community really has no buisnesses so expect to drive, unless you just want to play some golf. However for shoppers you are only one exit away from two outlet malls.
We have traveled alot and I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 February 2011

Decent hotel ... clean rooms, pretty lobby. Not much to do in resort if you are not a golfer. Pool is clean & nice, but nothing exceptional. There is no concierge lounge at this property to my knowledge. Did receive free breakfast coupons as a Gold member of Marriott Rewards. Would recommend hotel as a convenient stop off I-95 or to outlet mall shoppers or golfers. If interested in St. Augustine, it's more convenient & fun to stay in the city.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 February 2011

We had reason to be in St Augustine in February to prepare for the adoption of our new born daughter. We were able to negotiate a very favorable rate for the 10 days we had planned to stay. The hotel knew our reason for the stay and provided an in room microwave so we could sterilize our baby's bottles. When we arrived back with your beautiful daughter the hotel had provided a welcome treat of a cheese plate with a nice bottle of red wine, great caring touch from the hotel given we could not go very far on our first day back with our baby.

The hotel staff were most accommodating but at the same time really provided the privacy we needed to bond with our child. They would service the room when we asked and sometimes that was beyond normal servicing hours.

For a such a big hotel chain, the staff really provided the personal touch. The rate I negotiated was for an extended stay but when our paperwork complete we could go home early, the hotel honored the rate for only the 8 nights we were there.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 January 2011

Stayed here a weekend in late January as a weekend getaway to St. Augustine. Arrived Friday evening. Only one bellman on duty so had to wait a couple of minutes for luggage service. Check-in was fast and got a king bed room on the 7th floor on the west side overlooking the golf driving range and putting course. Room had small refrigerator and the standard coffee set-up. Wireless internet service was fast and reliable. Hotel did not appear to be very busy so we did not encounter the noise issues that others have mentioned.
Although located about 10 miles from historic area of St. Augustine, the location right off I-95 was convenient for us. Did not have a chance to do the WG Hall of Fame tour but got the information. Thought the package was a bit pricey at $20, but you can do the putting course and challenge hole a la carte and those features were quite reasonably priced.
Only meal eaten there was the Sunday morning breakfast buffet. Wide choice of food with the omelette chef available. Thought the price of $12 including juice, coffee, etc. was quite reasonable considering I am used to paying $16 - $18 at other Marriott properties.
Lobby area is quite luxurious with the waterway through the middle. Nice large exercise room available 24 hours a day and there is a sauna inside there as well. Big outdoor heated pool with a large whirlpool. Outside is a large children's playground. Beautiful grounds adjacent to the World Golf Hall of Fame with the lake. Ring of shops around the lake, but looks like the economic problems took their toll here as the only places of note were the Murray Brother's restaurant - CaddyShack - and the PGA Tour Stop retail store.
I can see where experience might be different during busy times, but we were fortunate to have our stay when occupancy was low and never had to wait for anything once we got checked in.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple