“Sadly lacking in customer service”

World Golf Village Renaissance St. Augustine Resort
Ranked #33 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Reviewed 13 June 2011

We arrived on the Wednesday evening of Memorial Day weekend after coming from the Orlando airport. Since my husband had not eaten since noon and it was already about 7:30pm when we arrived, I attempted to place a room service order (he is diabetic and must eat fairly often). I ordered an entree for each of us, 2 glasses of ice water (not bottled water) and 2 identical desserts at approximately 8PM. I was advised that it would be there in about 45 minutes. The food arrived an hour later and was not correct (had bottled water and only 1 dessert). We then waited for another half hour for the correct items to be brought and a bill which had incorrect prices. The phones took forever for someone to answer when calling the front desk, or for the shuttle cart to come get us to come from other venues in the complex. It was not due to being busy as we arrived when not many people were there yet. Even speaking to a manager didn't get the problems resolved as we were presented with an incorrect final bill for our stay and had to spend time at the front desk getting that straightened out. The room was very nice. Seemed to be many new employees , not staffed or trained properly, inadequate response to the customers, no information regarding the obtaining of the free internet for Gold members. We had stayed in December 2010 and had an enjoyable experience with a nice room that was very quiet then but have decided to not return after this treatment in May. Room in May was nicer but very noisy once the weekend approached and more people arrived.
In summary, room very nice, maid service inconsistent, food poor, room service was terrible, desk /front staff were nice, needs better customer service overall.

2  Thank gleem

Reviewed 30 May 2011

We stayed over the memorial weekend and found the hotel to be just average, and nothing special...rooms were just ok... and could use an update. Hotel was loud at time as late night events were breaking up. The hotel shuttle was frustrating while that was one of the reasons for staying at the resort...Saturday night we were told the last shuttle was full... hey is that my issue or hotels? Thankfully the bellmen Steve and Tom got us into town to ensure we were able to meet our party at the restaurant. The gift shop was lacking a lot...I did't see much in the way of golf tokens to bring back...or anything for that sort of thing...I wish there was some information - marketing materials int he room about what movies were at the IMAX or what times you can play that golf shot by the lake...saw nothing .... next time we are going to stay at the Hilton right in town...Oh Yeah -- NO SPA!!! OMG that is a major bummer -- could have used a mesage after the golf! along with a manifure and pedicure....BIG BUMMER!!!!

Reviewed 26 May 2011

We shared a room with another couple. We arrived much later than they did - close to midnight. Sometimes, when you are checked in by the overnight crew, the experience is rather bland. Not here. The night auditor and the bellman that were on that late were very hospitable and acted as if they were expecting us. Every employee we encountered, from bartenders to front desk and bellman to proshop were very accommodating. The hotel is perfectly situated at the World Golf Village. Dining, golfing, shopping and drinking can all be done without getting in the car.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank GamecockFan1990
Reviewed 26 May 2011

My husband and I stayed here while traveling on business. The hotel is in Golf World Village and has great views of the golf course from the rooms. There is a nice walking path around the lake and a putting course. This is a typical Renaissance hotel, but the location is what makes it special. For more dining choices, you are better off driving to St.Augustine. We did eat at Bill Murray's next to the hotel. It was good moderate priced food and convenient to the hotel.

Room Tip: Check out Expedia for the best rates.
Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank JMJ024
Reviewed 11 May 2011

I drove four hours to this resort. When I arrived there was a person who checked us in located in the middle of the lobby. The check in was fast and pleasant. As elite members we were offered either a coupon for a drink at the bar or free WI-FI in our rooms. A nice touch. They advertised a special Mother's Day Brunch, the senior rate was $32. We immediately made reservations for the next day. I requested an upgrade and was accommodated. My room overlooked the pool and a lake and it had a balcony. Immediately we felt good.

The hotel is a atrium style, with a huge mobile that is many stories high, very interesting and impressive. It has water running over a rock formation that is tranquilizing. The next morning we looked over the rail while waiting for the elevator and saw what looked like a huge buffet from 7 floors up. When we reached the lobby and walked over to the restaurant. By the way, they extended the seating into the lobby to accommodate all those who wished to partake of this fare. The buffet not only tasted very good, but the presentation was outstanding. They had variously shaped cups and glasses which contained a variety of side lights. For example, they had cream cheese and lox in a small wine shaped glass with pieces of bagel on the sides, much the way lemons are served. The had a southwestern salad, a Caesar salad and several others all displayed in various shapes vessels. The had the obligatory omelet station, a pasta station and a carving station serving prime ribs. They also had lobster bisque, large cocktail shrimp, a variety of vegetables and all the traditional breakfast foods.
For the children they had chef's hats and aprons. They set up a low table for the children to customize pancakes, with a variety of toppings. Needless to say the desert bar also consisted a large variety of deserts that were prepared in various size and shapes of glasses. What a treat. The staff was pleasant although our waiter was kind of slow in taking away the dirty dishes. My wife's Mother's Day was a success from breakfast on. That evening we ate in the lounge. This was not nearly as successful a dining experience as we had in the AM. The service was extremely slow at a time when they were relatively empty. It took us about 2 1/2 hours to complete our meal. I ordered a Cobb salad without bacon, it came with bacon. I ordered a ham and turkey sandwich, this too came with bacon. I told the server who indicated that she knew that I ordered the salad without bacon but I did not indicate it that for the sandwich. I then informed her that the salad did indeed come with loads of bacon that I fished out of the salad, it was replaced after an extensive wait. My wife ordered a turkey Reuben sandwich, it came as a corned beef sandwich. This too was returned.
Overall, the hotel was extremely well maintained, the rooms were large, cheery and comfortable. I would love to return there again. This was a level 5 hotel which has recently been downgraded by Marriott to a level four. It seem like a level 5 to me.

1  Thank stusil
Reviewed 29 April 2011

We just completed our annual Session of the Grand Chapter of Florida, Order of the Eastern Star at this wonderful resort. This was our second year at the Renaissance Resort for this event and once again our 1000 + members in attendence were extremely delighted. The hotel staff as well as the convention staff could not have been more helpful or courteous. Their cheerful attitude deserves an A+. We found the banquet food at the convention to be every bit as delicious as in the cafe' at the hotel. The atmosphere throughout our week long stay was upbeat and enjoyable. On behalf of our organization I thank you for another great job!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 April 2011

My husband and I stayed at this resort for a wedding that was held in Downtown St. Augustine and I was disappointed overall. The hotel reminded me of Embassy Suites as far as the interior lobby- all of the hallways had open balconies that looked over to the lobby, so it was extremely loud, especially at night. The rooms also had large gaps under the doors, so people talking in the lobby echoed right up into your room, so it was hard to sleep when people were in the lobby bar late at night. The rooms were clean and we had a rate of $119 a night and I thought it was a good value, but I know we had a special rate due to the wedding party rate. I would not pay more than that to stay there. My husband golfed and thought it was very expensive, but a nice course. I had planned on hanging out at the pool all day while he golfed and this was the biggest disappointment of the trip- the pool was SO small and not resort-like at all. It had maybe 20 chairs around it and there was no pool bar/restaurant, so to get a drink (even a water or coke), you had to get up and walk into the lobby bar, which was a big pain in the butt. It felt like I was at a holiday inn pool. The hotel was also a good 30 minutes from downtown St. Augustine where all of the restaurants, sites, and bars are located, so that is also an issue. They did have a shuttle that took you down there, but it only ran at certain times, so we ended up driving our own car b/c the times weren't convenient for us. Overall, if you are staying here to golf, you will not be disappointed, but otherwise, find a different hotel.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple