World Golf Village Renaissance St. Augustine Resort
Ranked #31 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Stayed at the Renaissance WGV for 3 nights on a business trip It is conveniently located off I 95. It was only about a 15 minute ride into St. Augustine where we did some sight seeing. The hotel is beautiful and the staff was very friendly and helpful.

Because of the conference we were attending, we didn’t eat at any of the restaurants in the hotel but did have breakfast set up each morning and I thought everything was very high quality.

My room had a balcony with a table and 2 chairs where I was able to sit outside and read a book. It was very peaceful but not all rooms have a balcony so you would have to inquire about the price for a balcony room. There was plenty of free self parking or a valet service. There is a Starbucks on-site in lobby. Rooms have a mini-fridge so you can bring some of you own food/drink to have in the room.

The Golf Hall of Fame is right next to the RWGV but I didn’t go for a tour. There is a restaurant and bar called Caddyshack next to the hotel parking lot. Good place for drinks and bar type food. The service was great and we felt the wait staff was honest about recommending (or not recommending) certain items on the menu.

1  Thank Deb W
There are newer reviews for World Golf Village Renaissance St. Augustine Resort

Reviewed 21 November 2013

This is the second time I stayed at this resort. The first time was a one-night vacation coming back from Orlando with the family. This was a quick one-night stay during a business trip.

This is a resort with a nice looking golf course and shops surrounding the very elegant hotel. The room is clean, comfortable and mine had a balcony with a beautiful view. Staff is terrific,

While they offer a shuttle to historic St. Augustine, I just ate at Murray Brothers Caddyshack restaurant just outside the hotel. Good, bar type American food with an obvious golf theme.

Only complaint is no breakfast for Gold members since it is a resort property.

Highly recommended.

1  Thank PeterFNYNC
Ashleigh B, Guest Services Manager at World Golf Village Renaissance St. Augustine Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking to tell to tell us about your stay. Even though it was a short stay I am so happy that you were pleased with your service and accommodations. Hopefully next time you can bring the family and spend a few days exploring downtown St. Augustine. I look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

We just spent Veterans' Day weekend at this hotel. It was convenient to the World Golf Hall of Fame(a 2 minute walk) and close driving distance to St. Augustine. All the staff were friendly and accommodating. First room did not have a balcony and we were immediately given another room upon request. Grounds by the IMAX theater and Hall of Fame were very nice, although the "village" didn't really exist. The large golf shop advertised in the brochure was completely empty and other than one office, the buildings surrounding the lake looked abandoned and a little sad. A few things I didn't like about the room - bathroom had no place to hang towels except for a hook on the back of the door - where to put a face cloth and hand towel?? Bathroom lighting was somewhat dim, making it difficult to apply makeup and there didn't appear to be a fan in the bathroom, so the mirror fogged up when showering. Another issue we had was the noise from the bar Sunday night during a football game. Rooms surround a beautiful atrium, but the noise carries from the bar area into the room. This went on until at least midnight which made sleeping a bit difficult. I would have liked to see some more amenities - maybe bikes. It's a great spot for golfers and my husband is already thinking about a "boys" weekend in the future.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Windygnf
Reviewed 12 November 2013

My wife and I had the opportunity to get away for a night sans kids. This hotel was perfect for a quick night out, the room was comfortable, the grounds were well maintained, the hotel lobby was spacious, and the restaurant was fantastic. We ate at the Italian restaurant in the lobby and it was a really nice meal, good service and good food. In the morning I woke up bit early, so I went to the lobby, got a cup of coffee, and found a comfortable chair to read my magazines. Overall was a great stay, we'd stay here again and recommend to our friends. The only negative I would say is it 10 to 20 minute drive to St. Augustine or Jacksonville. So if you plan on going out, you might want something closer to area restaurants. The room was at a good price, so we didn't mind not being close proximity to other attractions, etc.

• Stayed: November 2013
Ashleigh B, Guest Services Manager at World Golf Village Renaissance St. Augustine Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2013

Dear Valued Guest,
I am so glad that you had a wonderful night away, just the two of you. The resort does offer a complimentary shuttle to Downtown St. Augustine that allows you to experience all the city has to offer. Our location offers the best of both worlds as you get the peacefulness of the resort and the convenience of Downtown St. Augustine. We look forward to having you as our guest again.

Reviewed 8 November 2013

This resort caters to business and leisure in a perfect golf resort setting. The rooms are comfortable, quiet, and richly appointed. Upon arrival, I received an upgrade and my room was immediately converted to feather free. Ask for a view of the pool and Golf World Hall of Fame. My room balcony was uncovered and the furniture was still clean and comfortable. I would definitely stay here again anytime.

Likes: stunning lobby atrium, quiet, clean and very comfortable, friendly and accomodating staff members that you would expect from a Renassaince property. Great breakfast buffet, wonderfully prepared omlettes. The Fitness Room was up to date, well mainteinaed equipment, circuit, free weights, weight balls, stair, bike, and treadmills all with multi-media monitors (Precor - nice !!)

Peeves: The room showed minor wear and tear (swivel hook on rear of bathroom door was loose to the point of fear of falling off, and the shower soap holder was partially dislodged and needed adjusting - these items were reported to staff; the iron and board were very dated). Breakfast resturant staff were effective, but lacked efficiency in my opinion the 2 weekday mornings in our party of 3. (happy to give details if requested)

Room Tip: Overlooking pool and resort
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Ashleigh B, Guest Services Manager at World Golf Village Renaissance St. Augustine Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

I am so happy that we were able to exceed your expectations. We have a wonderful resort and I have am pleased that you were able to take advantage of our many amenities. Look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

The hotel is set in an impressive golf resort just off I 95. The hotel itself seemed fairly new and architecturally uninspiring. However, the reception area is modern and vibrant, with many brightly covered sofas and loungers and several water features.
My husband and I arrived at 12.30pm and the room was not ready. We decided to take a wander around the resort. Unfortunately, most of the shops have closed down and the golf apparel store was in the midst of a closing down clearance. Despite this, the lakes and surroundings are beautiful.
Following the call from reception, we returned to our beautiful room - a suite upgrade - with a dual aspect balcony. We had a very spacious separate living/kitchen area with TV, microwave, refrigerator and sink. The bed was huge and super comfortable. The bathroom has a separate toilet and a large shower ( no tub), Aveda toiletries and fluffy towels.
After freshening up, we had a delicious light lunch on the bar terrace before taking the complimentary shuttle into downtown St Augustine.
Bookings for the shuttle are made with the concierge. We booked to return on the 9pm shuttle and were asked to ring at 8pm to confirm, which we did. I am not sure all our fellow guests had done the same. 2 shuttles arrived at the designated pick up site at 9pm but there was not enough space for everyone. Luckily, we managed to get on the first trip. Some guests had to wait for the shuttle to return. I guess this must have been over half an hour.
We ordered room service in the evening and the food was reasonably priced, arrived promptly and was hot and tasty. The fries especially were very good.
This is a great hotel in an excellent location, which would be perfect for a golf break or to see the sights of St Augustine. I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I am so happy that you were able to take the time to explore the resort grounds and discover downtown St. Augustine. I hope to have you as our guest again.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

My husband reserved two nights of stay at the Renaissance World Golf Village Resort and Convention Center, in St. Augustine, Florida, because he was participating in an AT&T Pioneers Charity Golf Tournament at the St. John Golf & Country Club. We made a family trip of it as St. Augustine is a fabulous locale. Thankfully, he inquired about a more affordable rate than the reservationist offered. 'Florida Resident' brought a daily room rate of $129 down to $109, which still is a lot for us.

Watching the Travel Channel has given us new knowledge when traveling. Specifically, 'Hotel Impossible' and its host, Anthony Melchiorri, provide standard, best practices that guests can expect when purchasing lodging. Using this knowledge gives the consumer an expectation that hotels with rooms valued at over $100 per night should be clean, include outstanding amenities and have courteous employees.

Once you exit I-95, the hotel is not as close as it seems. I found staff members to be attentive and courteous as soon as we arrived. The doorman, Mike, greeted us with a big smile. His warm welcome gave me assurance that management was focused on customer service. He said based on availability, the hotel provides a complimentary shuttle to and from historic St. Augustine, about 1/2 hour away.

The trio of check-in docks were amid an open floor plan - minus a front desk which left me a little unsettled. Staff was slightly short-handed at the time of our arrival. We had a minimal wait and the associate briefed us as to the location of the lounge/bar, pool area, restaurant, Resort shop, fitness center, game nook and billiard table/ping pong room. Also, directly off site and within walking distance, is the famous Murray Bros.’ Caddy Shack restaurant. My son snatched the last cookie on the plate as we headed to the elevators.

While the Ren WGV is part of an outstanding franchise, this location could use improvement. For the purpose of this review, I checked the hotel website; I had no idea this is a Marriott property. Nowhere was there any brand identification either in signage, on site at the hotel or in the rooms. I found this a bit odd. The website boasted the luxury of a recently completed $10-million transformation, which was evident in the oversized, cascading optical art and flowing waterfalls in the cavernous atrium as well as the well-appointed public areas: hallways, fitness center/sauna and landscaping but was slightly lacking in the room itself. Beyond the average amenities of flat-screen cable tv, high-speed internet (extra daily fee), iron and ironing board, hair dryer, in-room coffee service, wet bar and refrigerator, the elegance must have worn off after the grand reopening. I have worked at hotels that offered guests in-room bathrobes and mints as little ‘extras’.

The room was freezing! We managed to turn the thermostat up, then, turned the fan off. It took until the next day for it to feel comfortable. There was a wall outlet that was not functioning, the spa-styled bathroom’s metal lighting fixtures were pitting, the frosted glass soap dish had a sizeable, chipped corner and the black bag that held the hair dryer was covered in dust! I alerted housekeeping. Aside from these, the room was very clean.

Breakfast at Vilaggio was a lesson in awareness. The menu had two selections for a buffet: $14.95 for mostly juice, fruit, breads and the like, or $16.95 for a chance to find the chef who was not at the made-to-order omelet station. This price included meats but the bacon tray was empty. Unfortunately, for me, the cream of wheat formed into a white gel-like paste and the lukewarm biscuit disintegrated in my hand. We sat at a table with a poolside view, but the windows were dirty. The cords of the window blinds were about a yard too long and they sat balled up on the bottom of the ledge. I mulled over what to do as my hubby and son departed and I was left to pay the bill. The waitress disappeared. After 5 minutes, I approached the manager. I complimented the workers to him and told him the lovely view would look nicer if the windows were clean. I also pointed out the cords and he took the words out of my mouth…”unsightly.” He sort of apologized and I decided to eat breakfast somewhere else the next day.

I wondered what the room rate would have been had my husband booked online. It’s pricey! From the hotel website I selected “guest room, 1 King or 2 Double” and prices ranged from a base of $149.99 to $314.99. Requesting 2 double beds to accommodate our teenager, no wifi or other ‘extras’, the page redirected to a lengthy Guest Information form. Not wishing to spend more time, I did a quick check of their ‘Special Rates & Awards’. There, it would not allow multiple selections: Senior Discount would not combine with AAA or a Corporate code. Since my husband is both a ‘senior’ and with the AT&T group, I gave up the search and decided to be happy with the $109/night that he paid. This actually did include the corporate group package price and a Florida Resident credit that is nowhere to be found on the website!

It pays to go the extra mile or two in this economy. When reserving on the phone, inquire about every discount imaginable for the best value. Don’t trust the website to accommodate your needs: As I learned, sometimes machines are not designed for multiple discounts, and they’re certainly not consumer-friendly.

Room Tip: Primary numbered rooms (501, 601, etc.) are corners with private access. Family tip: select a King o...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family