“Nice spot in northern Florida”

World Golf Village Renaissance St. Augustine Resort
Ranked #30 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Chicago, Illinois
“Nice spot in northern Florida”
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I had heard of this facility, but had not that the chance to visit until recently. While the grounds are spacious and well-maintained, the vacant storefronts near the hotel tower seem to hint that its glory days are passed. The rooms are nice, but pedestrian. The staff makes the experience here worth the visit. Unlike some of the other reviewers, we could not be happier with the staff. Friendly and attentive from the front desk to lobby bar. We had a snafu with a cab we ordered, told the front desk and a staffer drove us the 30 minutes into St. Augustine.
Although the restaurant is well above average for a resort property, your wallet will be better served by walking a bit to the Legends Grille at the golf course to eat breakfast.
The soaring lobby is quite inviting and the water features and two computers for guest use are a very nice touch.

Room Tip: In warmer months, ask for a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Stayed there over the weekend for a buddies' golf trip, love the hotel, the breakfast buffet, the view (if you get a room facing East or North). Second annual trip for this group and we will probably go back to the same place next year.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view! Last year, my view was of the Convention Center roof. This year, it wa...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Ashleigh B, Guest Services Manager at World Golf Village Renaissance St. Augustine Resort, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I am so pleased that we have become your annual golfing destination. I look forward to seeing you and your golf buddies next year.

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 13 February 2014

While I must admit that the grounds are very nice, the staff truly left much to be desired. I stayed there just last night for business. The original plan was to stay for just the one night, but when I saw the hotel, I had considered rearranging my work schedule to stay another night. Thank God I did not change my plans.

The room was fine; the bed was, although I was told it was a king bed, seemed mighty small. I was put in a room right outside the elevator, so I expected and received the noisy guests waiting for and exiting the elevator; no surprise there.

What started my disgust was the housekeeping staff knocking on my door at 7:30 in the morning. When I replied that I was still in the room, they waited a bit and then knocked again at 8:15. The housekeeping cart was parked outside of my room and honestly, I had never heard people make more noise or speak so loudly in a hotel. I was so annoyed by this entire experience, being in my room and attempting to get some work done, that I called the front desk and inquired to what time check-out was and then asked if one could ask the housekeeping staff to keep it down a bit, not just for myself, but for all of the other guests I imagined they were bothering. Not five minutes later, loudly and clearly just outside of my room, I hear a woman's voice, presumably a housekeeper, stating that 'the guy in this room here complained we are being too loud and need to keep it down', which was met with a couple of laughs. I was incredulous! I would not have imagined the front desk would have actually pointed out which room was complaining, but given the housekeeping staff a general, 'hey, please keep it down'. Apparently professionalism on anyone's part was too much to ask for.

The final straw was when I was checking out. There were two women working the front desk, Melissa and Sara. I asked for my receipt and started to leave. I turned around and asked them if a manager was on available, I would like to speak to them. Sara at this point left the desk area and Melissa asked if everything was alright. After telling her my annoyance with the early knocks on my door, the loud noises made by the housekeeping staff and then being called out after making a complaint to the front desk, Melissa offered the standard, 'oh, I'm sorry to hear that'. Then she just stood looking at me. After a moment, she asked if I'd like to see a manager. I pointed out that I had already requested speaking to a manager and was not sure why she hadn't accommodated my request. She again just stood there. I asked her had I walked up and asked where the restaurant was, would she have told me where it was or would she have asked me if I was hungry? She said she would have told me where the restaurant was. Well then why is it when I asked for a manager, did she not get one for me, instead asking me what the problem was and even after I told her, she still failed to get me a manager. At that point, I could clearly see she, as everyone else I had dealt with at this hotel was terribly unprofessional and there was no use in complaining.

Never would I stay or recommend this hotel - EVER!

5 Thank edwardNsandra
Granger Indiana
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I recently stayed at the hotel on a 4 day business trip. The hotel is located inside the World Golf Village and is beautifully landscaped. There is a lake in front of the hotel with a paver walk way (or jogging) path. The hotel is very open and inviting. When you enter the lobby area you cant help but enjoy the water features and very open social areas. I stayed in a common 2 bed room on the 7th floor. The room was very clean and updated. The bathroom was tiled and granite as you would assume from a high end hotel. There is a bath tub with bowed out drap. I think a walk in shower would have been better but even at 6'2" I had plenty of room and the shower head was powerful and had good spray. The hotel boasts a well equipped gym with plenty of cardio eq. and free weights. The outside pool was large enough and there is a small (6-8) person hot tub. The pool complements a very large outside sitting area with tables and chairs. I ate in the restaurant and ordered room service and in every case the food was fresh and well prepaired. There is a nice bar in the lobby and the cost of drinks is what you would expect.
Wine $9-$13 and top shelf cocktails $11.00 and up. The beds were very comfortable and the rooms come with a wet bar in the room which it nice
The surrounding village around the lake was a little confusing. I'm not really sure if this is part of the hotel or not? There are many buildings and shops, but all but one is out of business??? The only shop left is Bill Murrays "CaddyShack" bar and grill.
I would point out that despite the hotels efforts, (small outside play area) this is NOT a hotel for children. This is designed for folks that want to enjoy the Golf Hall of Fame or courses around. Even the pool is NOT set up for kids.
If you plan on leaving the complex, you are going to have to drive. You cannot walk to anything from the complex. A taxi from JAX is going to run you about $80.00 and plan on at least 50 minutes drive. We hired a car service and it ran us $140.00 plus tip. As an adult I would go back and enjoy this hotel for business or a fun golf outing, but probably not much else. Its to far from Jacksonville Beach's to
enjoy that area. To conclude the hotel is great for what it is designed for.

Canton, Ohio
Reviewed 5 February 2014

An attractive, modern hotel with a soaring lobby area, but not exceptional in any way. We were greeted by one overworked valet parker/bellman. Check in was perfunctory with no real information offered. Our room, while it offered a beautiful view over the golf course had several annoying features: you must get on your hands and knees to access the room safe; similarly the credenza/dresser shelfs are extremely low. The toilet flush lever "kicks back" with such force, you could injure your fingers and the flush is so loud you will undoubtedly wake your partner. While the shower has good pressure, the water is extremely hard and has a slight odor. There is a wet bar, refrigerator and coffee maker, but only cardboard cups are provided for the coffee maker. There is only one robe in the room. A second will be provided if you ask, but you don't know that until you ask. The phone has all the usual call buttons for hotel services but none of them work and no extensioin directory is provided. All of these details take it out of the "first class" hotel category.

So--why should you stay there? If you're visiting the World Golf Hall of Fame as we were, the location is perfect. An easy stroll.

Consider booking a room which includes breakfast. The buffet is excellent and you will end up eating there anyway as no other breakfast options are convenient to the hotel except for a Starbucks in the lobby. The hotel restaurant is OK for dinner and the prices are reasonable.

Room Tip: Ask for a golf course view
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nayler
Ashleigh B, Guest Services Manager at World Golf Village Renaissance St. Augustine Resort, responded to this review, 8 February 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share the details of your stay and assure you that I have discussed your experience with our engineering department. We will do our best to see that these types of events do not take away from the experience of our guests in the future. I appreciate your feedback as it allows me to make necessary changes to improve all aspects of the resort experience.

Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 2 February 2014

As loyal Marriott customers, we stayed here on a free 1 night stay for our wedding anniversary and enjoyed it! Upon arrival, they put us in a double bed room and we requested a change to a king bed with balcony. No problem, bellman came up and gave us new keys immediately! Staff was warm, friendly and helpful. Publix, CVS, Walgreens, etc. about 1.5 mile away and although free shuttle to St. Augustine was available, we drove there due to our dinner reservation conflicted with last shuttle departure. Ordered room service breakfast and it arrived, hot and incredibly filling for 2 although all American breakfast was meant for 1 person, it was more than enough for us. Balcony overlooking pool was really nice - overall, very nice stay, hot tub was inviting, clean, and sooo quiet! Hotel was not crowded at all, which suited us just fine. Location is minutes away to outlets and historic St. Augustine, ate at Tasting Room, our fave restaurant and coffee at Café Hidalgo, habit of ours. Love their specialty coffees!

Room Tip: Try to get a balcony room overlooking pool and part of golf course if you can
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Oviedo, Florida
Reviewed 2 February 2014

My girlfriend and I went to a wedding this weekend in St. Augustine. The bride recommended this hotel as I was looking for something a bit nicer than where the rest of the wedding was staying. Coincidentally I had enough points to book two rooms for two nights. I rarely get to use them so I was happy.

We checked in and Mike at valet warmly greeted us. Stephanie checked us in. She informed me that it looked like I didn't have enough points for what I booked but she was very classy and said we will call the points folks and go ahead and said go ahead and relax and we will sort it out later. How nice not to continue this conversation in front of my friend and let me just start to enjoy the weekend.

Mike made a nice dinner recommendation and even made the reservation and called for cab service (so we could have some wine!). How great was that?

On Saturday we wondered downstairs for lunch. They had my favorite food for the buffet - Mexican! It was only $13 too. Good deal.

Both evenings we ended up at the bar and had a couple of drinks made by Darnell. Great bartender. Good drinks. A nice way to end the evening.

I checked in on Saturday night with Eric at the front desk about the situation with my points and he said everything was all taken care of. He had also removed my internet charge which was a very nice touch because I only used it for a bit.

I also thought it was nice when we were leaving on Saturday to go to the wedding that the valet guy offered two bottles of water. Another really nice touch. I LOVE my water so I can always appreciate a nice cold bottle.

We only had a couple of hiccups. I checked my reservation when I got home and I booked it correctly. I am not sure what the issue was at check in but it was handled well. My only suggestion would be a significant enhancement of the room service menu. Very basic.

I travel to a lot of nice hotels around the world for work and didn't expect a five star experience at a Renaissance in St. Augustine. It was the overall experience. The little touches. The great great and warm service from everyone...especially valet. Great team. Special thanks as well to Stephanie and Eric at the front desk.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I am happy that you were able to discover our resort and all that we have to offer. I am also pleased that you were greeted warmly by Mike, Stephanie, Darnell and Eric. They are all wonderful ambassadors who bring the Renaissance service to life. We hope to see you the next time you are in St. Augustine.