“Nice Place to Stay if You Love Golf”

World Golf Village Renaissance St. Augustine Resort
Ranked #31 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Albany, NY
“Nice Place to Stay if You Love Golf”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We were staying in St. Augustine and, due to the Easter vacation, rooms were booked in town so we decided to stay at the Renaissance, even though we don't play golf at all. This hotel has it all - nice views, right on the golf course, large rooms with beautiful bathrooms, delicious buffet for breakfast and the price is comparable so we couldn't complain about that either. Only downside was the bedding smelled sour and, when we told the service staff, they really didn't understand what we were talking about. But, aside from that, this place is wonderful if you're thinking of staying in the St. Augustine area (they even have a shuttle to downtown St. Augustine) and/or you love to play golf.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Harden P, Dir of Quality and Style at World Golf Village Renaissance St. Augustine Resort, responded to this review, 26 April 2014
Dear valued guest,

We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay overall with us. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. We have shared your comments with our houseekeeping team in order to reiterate the importance of maintaining our standards. We do look forward to seeing you again in the future. If we can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to reach out to us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
Ormond Beach, Florida
Reviewed 4 April 2014

We love to stay near St. Augustine but staying in the town can be ridiculously expensive and often noisy. What drew us to this Renaissance property were two things: GOLF and a new service that transports guests into downtown St. Augustine! The bellmen and concierge were absolutely wonderful, dropping us four off in downtown and coming back to retrieve us hours later after we had enjoyed our tapas and sangrias in town at the fabulous Columbia Restaurant. We females enjoyed an amazing breakfast buffet with a live chef the next morning followed by an afternoon at the nearby outlet mall (one exit south on I95). Our male counterparts went out to aggressively chase the little white ball around the beautiful north Florida landscape. A very nice stay was had by all! Reasonably priced if you time your stay correctly and the staff were professional and friendly.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Florida
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

This is a beautiful property located literally steps away from the World Golf Hall of Fame. The room was fairly standard, but fine. We were given an "upgrade" to the 9th floor and had a beautiful view but no balcony. Internet access was a complete joke. The "queen" beds were really doubles. The grounds are gorgeous. Food options are fine. We enjoyed our stay but the lack of real internet access was unacceptable and the response to our issue with it was literally no response at all. This is a nice place to stay all in all but I would ask for a king room of you're staying with your spouse and don't plan on using the internet unless you're in the lobby.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dmiller1974
miami
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Six of us were here for a business meeting in the hotel. And all six of us were very pleased with this hotel and the resort property. Everything was top notch. The staff, from the front desk to the biz center, were super-friendly and helpful (we are from Miami where unfortunately that can be rare).
The rooms were spacious and seemed newly renovated. Nice comfortable bed and linens. Good a/c altho some in our party wished it were quieter--I like the white noise. Had a refrig in the room which was very convenient. Several of us had rooms facing the lake with expansive views from our 6th floor balconies.
I appreciated the nice sized gym. There were several treadmills, ellipticals and stationary bikes. And a surprising amount of machines and weights for a hotel gym. Had a great workout at 8am before my meeting.
Loved having a Starbucks right in the hotel lobby! We visited multiple times for quick bites and coffee during our 2 days at the hotel.
There's a pretty garden center atrium which the glass elevators look out onto.
I never have high expectations at hotel restaurants but this one was terrific. What a nice surprise after a long day of work. Villagio Italian Cafe pleased everyone in our group. Standouts were the Chicken Milanese, Chicken Saltimbocca ( moist and tender ) and the flavorful gnocchi with short rib ragout. Nice fresh bread/veggie/salad sides too. Too full and too late for desserts but they looked tempting.
After our morning meeting, we checked out the World Golf Hall of Fame. Several in our party are golf enthusiasts and they loved the museum. It's 5 star and entertaining even for a non-golfer. The golfers could have spent hours there but we had a plane to catch. Surprisingly there's also an IMAX there.
With two award winning courses, this resort is golf lover heaven. But the non-golfers all agreed this would be a top hotel to stay at while visiting the sites at St Augustine and the beaches there or Ponte Vedra. It's 15 minutes to either.
We came for work but we'll all be back for fun.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor facing the lake--gorgeous views from the balcony.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank joeperz
new jersey
Reviewed 2 April 2014

A very fine property located south of Jacksonville on I-95 and about 15 minutes from historic St. Augustine. The food was very good. If golf is your thing, this is the place. On the property there is a Golf Museum and an Imax Theater as well.

Room Tip: Try for a room off the interior quadrangle as noise from guests socializing in the large open lobby...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 31 March 2014

The good:
My room was beautiful, I was in a corner room on the 8th floor with a large balcony overlooking the grounds.
The a/c works well, almost to a fault. When I checked in, the a/c was set at 64 degrees, it was freezing. I turned it up, but the room stayed cold. I ended up turning the heat on to get the chill out of the air. (Remember, I am a Floridian)
The Aveda products in the bathroom were a nice touch.
The bathroom was spacious and very pretty.
Beautiful lobby with a little store that has a Starbucks inside. It had some neat little reasonable priced gifts.
Self-parking available, but valet was also reasonable at $10 for an overnight stay.
Refrigerators in every room.
I didn't bring my kids, but it looks like there are a lot of great activities for kids, playground, arcade, def a kid friendly place.
Elevators were very quick.

The bad (or not-so great)
This hotel is right off the exit, which is good, but it is still a long drive to get to the hotel through their property.
The check in was a little strange, there are a bunch of small round "desks" but nothing that says "check-in" so I stood there for a while waiting for someone to acknowledge me.
It is about a 15 -20 minute drive to downtown, which isn't too bad unless you need to take a cab.
I was unable to find any open restaurants during the early afternoon hours.
I was given free internet, but it was so bad I just switched over and used my hotspot.
The maid was knocking on my door at 8 am.
The vending machine was not working on my floor.
The pool is very small.
Now my big grip, I wasn't able to sleep in because my black-out curtains had holes in them. Large holes. You would think at a resort like this that they would keep up on their decor.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dshatch15
PA
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

The lobby and property are gorgeous and maintained overall. We were here for a conference and reserved a king room. When we checked in, the told us they were sold out of kings (how does that happen with a reservation and elite status?!) and they gave us a room on the 4th floor with two doubles. My husband is a big guy and he did not sleep well at all on a small bed. Also our sink and shower were both draining slow from arrival. We told housekeeping, but they either did not fix it or did not fix it well. The shower curtain is nasty with black and pink mold/mildew. The bathroom doesn't have an exhaust fan but it is nicely set up. They have Aveda toiletries, which is a big plus in my book!! They did not have the rosemary mint lotion, but glad they have the sensitive one though. Our room had a newer tv, but the cable service is awful. Definitely not hd, and I could not read the words on sportscenter. Also, the key card to the room was very finicky. It took five times on average to unlock the room. The pool has nice chairs and towel service (but you have to hunt for the towels). The bar is really nice and the restaurant has good food at reasonable prices for a nicer hotel. The buffet breakfast was also not too expensive for a nicer hotel but the eggs and the sausage were terrible. Great selection of fresh fruit and the house granola is excellent. I'm a croissant snob, and was pleasantly surprised that they were half decent. Also the USA today is not delivered to your door, but it is at least in the lobby. The gift shop has starbucks and if you have kids, there is a little playground and a game room. There is also a nice walk around the pond outside for some fresh air and golf sightseeing.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business