“Exceptional Stay”

Ranked #30 of 78 Hotels in St. Augustine
Miami
“Exceptional Stay”
Reviewed 16 November 2008

My company hosted our regional meeting at the Renaissance Resort at the World Golf Village in St Augustine. We all had an exceptional time! The resort has a lot to offer, hotel is in great condition. The staff went over and beyond to make us welcome and their service was outstanding! This team knows what it takes make every guest happy and they are willing to take that extra step to do so. If anyone needs more information, please feel free to contact me via e-mail at gmacias@helmsbriscoe.com

• Liked — spacious, clean guestrooms, very comfortable bed, great food at hotel restaurant
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
Palo Alto CA
Reviewed 30 September 2008

Was lead to believe that the hotel was 11 miles from historic Saint Augustine, though it was actually more than 20 miles. There was an audible humming sound in several of the rooms. It took us three tries to find a room we could stand to be in. The room doors don't go all the way to the floor, so the noise from the hotel bar is clearly audible until after closing. The concierge was not available at 10:00 a.m. Staff seemed to resent reasonable requests and was not particularly accommodating. There was water on the floor from a leaking toilet, but the maid never seemed to notice it. Room was okay, but definitely not at Marriott's highest standard.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PaloAltoIrish
leesburg, fl
Reviewed 29 August 2008

this hotel is beautiful, brand new! the staff is very accomidating & pleasant, the rooms are great & the beds are awesome...we were there while tropical storm fay was coming through & everyone was so nice...there are great restaurants nearby & downtown st augustine is about 20 minutes away...the laterra spa is awesome!!!

• Liked — new and clean
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
west palm beach
Reviewed 10 August 2008

We stayed at the RR.atWGV for a long weekend. In Auguest, it is too tough to predict the weather, so we didn't want to stay near the beach, and we weren't willing to sacrifice quality for location, so we decided to stay here basedon other people reviews.

We were looking for a romantic getaway, and we found it. First, let's review the hotel itself. The hotel is about 12 miles north aand west from st.augustine. Up one exit and over about 7 miles to be more precise. The hotel is in a newly constructed area of golfer's haven. 2 amazing jack nicklaus courses are nearby, the world golf hall of fame (you have to pay to go in), a HUGE gold store, bill murray's caddyshack restaurant (typical burgers and wings type place), and the hotel/resort/convention center. The hotel is more of a convention like hotel both in the set up, ammenities, and people there. VERY few kids, but lots of people with name tags.

The staff is amazing, they are very accessible and do help with any request. The restaurant on site was REALLY good. SOO good in fact, that we gave up reservations at cordova 95 (the real expensive place to be hotel based restaurant in town). Food was very high quality, good service, and not to expensive. We split awesome appetizer, had a filet and shrimp (we split because we wanted dessert) and got a dessert all for like 44 dollars but very high quality food, like a fancy restaurant. The room service was great, the bar food was great, thebreakfast was great, and the price of the hotel off season, was fantastic. We got a room for 116 a night, king bed, nice.

The room was big, big bathroom, new shower, new decorations, awesome linens. The only drawbacks are, the design of the hotel is the type where all the rooms open into a center area where when people walk in the noise carries right up, not my favorite hotel design. and the bed itself was average, WAY not as good as the linens or the rest of the hotel, I think they should pitch in a couple more bucks and get some nicer beds.

the concierge was helpful, the GM was heloful (uday), the staff in the restaurant was great. Within walking distance is golf, imax, golf shop, golf museum, and nature trails. thereis a grocery store right nearby too.

downtown st augustine is where the action is. sight seeing, st.george street (kind of like key west without the pukeing college kids, homeless, and bikers), more sighseeing, the harbor (intracoastal). We drove to town and took the trolly around for like 28 bucks each good for 3 days, not really worth th emoney, but informative and cool.

Overall, if you are not planning on driving around, the you must stay at like the hilton or one of the many bandb near st george street or you'll be disappointed. If you have a car, staying at the rennaisance is a no brainer. You are close anough to do what you want, go to the outlets, hang out at a much nicer hotel, get in some golf, some imax, etc, without being smack in the middle of it all. The beach area for the hotel is very nice. The beach on anastasia island, not so nice, an I would not recommend staying anywhere near there, or anywhere on like route 1 for that matter out of town. st. augustine is fun, plenty of stuff to do, but don't think we'll go back, but if we do, the rennaisance is definetely a no brainer decision. WONDERFUL HOTEL!! great value.

• Liked — best of both worlds
  • Disliked — bed comfort was so so
  • Stayed August 2008
1 Thank bman577
Hudson, Florida
Reviewed 25 July 2008

Our recent trip to St. Augustine's World Gof Village was secretly planned as a surprise birthday gift to my husband (an avid golfer) for his 73rd birthday. He had no idea where we were going until we arrived. This hotel exceeded my expectations completely! The hotel has a beautiful open atrium from the lobby all the way up to the top 9th floor! There are four glass enclosed elevators with a view over the indoor fountains, waterfalls and river located in the middle of the atrium. Many large circles (mixed colors and metallic) hang from the ceiling and reflect sunlight over the entire atrium area.

Our room was large, squeeky clean, and very tastefully decorated. Nice robes hung in the closet, and the lemongrass soaps and shampoos in the bathroom was a nice spa touch. Most rooms had balconies with 2 chairs and a table, but our room did not. Anyway, It was a little too hot and humid to sit outdoors in Florida in July, so we did not even miss the balcony. There was a refrigerator, a marble countertop with a mini sink, and coffee service in the room, which was very convenient. I was glad to find that the room was really quiet at night, unlike some of the previous reviews which I read on this website. Perhaps that was because we were on the 9th floor and a few steps down a corridor.

I used the exercise room and was impressed by the modern equipment (private tv and earphones on each treadmill, a large sauna, etc.) There was even a basket with fresh fruit on top of the water cooler!

We got the senior citizen discount on the Marriott website which was only $101/night plus tax. What a wonderful hotel for such a low price!

This World Golf Village is a large complex with 4 golf courses, the World Golf Hall of Fame, Imax theatre, huge pro golf shops, restaurants, large day spa, etc. You wouldn't run out of things to see and do there, expecially if you are a golfer. St. Augustine is about 20 minutes from the complex, but if you are going on a weekend, you need to make two separate weekend trips to give each one justice.

On the down side, parking is limited. There is always valet parking available, but free parking seems to be a problem. There are additional spaces available to park, but you have to walk a distance to the hotel from where they are located, mostly over by the shopping area. Also, the concierge was there on Friday when we arrived, but on Saturday and Sunday there was a sign on her desk instructing people to go to the main desk for assistance. You would think that Saturday and Sunday would be her busiest days.....

In summary, I would recommend the Marriott Renaissance Resort to anyone, golfer or non-golfer. The world class spa would be enough for me to return (without my golfing husband) either alone or with a girl friend for spa treatments. I don't think you can go wrong with this hotel.

P.S. OK, I just re-read my review and it sounds like a hotel employee wrote it, but honestly I have no connections with Marriott, I just liked this hotel and did my best to give you as much detail as possible! :)

• Liked — Gorgeous upscale immaculate accomodations
  • Disliked — Parking accessiblilty
1 Thank KyJen
Lynn Haven, Florida
Reviewed 25 July 2008

We live in Panama City, FL and whenever we feel it's time to get away just to destress, we get on Rte 10 and drive over to the World Golf Village. We stayed at the Renaissance and completely relaxed. The renovations are just lovely. In reading other reviews, some people complained about noise. We heard no noise at all when we were in our room. The check-in and out is very fast and efficient and the concierge helped us a lot because we were meeting some family members at a restaurant about 1/2 hour away and we were not sure how to get there. She got us right to the door. I do agree with the reviewer who talked about the steakhouse in the World Golf Village. We ate there one other time and will not eat there again. Eat at the buffet or at Caddy Shack. The final thing is that when we got home I realized I had left my cellphone charger in the room. I emailed them and they are sending it to me. Very nice!

• Liked — Customer Service
  • Disliked — Dinner Buffet
1 Thank annierod
Orlando, FL
Reviewed 21 July 2008

My husband and I live in Orlando and just wanted to 'get-away' for the weekend. St. Augustine is about an hour and a half away so not too much time was spent traveling just for a weekend getaway. James loves to play golf so I booked it to celebrate his birthday weekend. The resort has recently been re-furbished and it has a nice elegant, yet contemporary feel.

The mattresses were super comfy and the sheets even nicer! You know how you can't wait to get home to get in your won bed? Well, not this one! I didn't want to leave the bed!

The property is also very nice. We didn't get to go to the Golf Hall of Fame, but I know there's an IMAX theatre there which shows current movies. The one that was showing on Saturday night was the new Batman movie, "Dark Night". We didn't see it, but heard it was sold out.

The whirlpool/jacuzzi that was there was very small and occupied by kids when we tried to go, so we didn't get a chance to go.

Breakfast in the hotel: we had the breakfast buffet. They had an omellette station there along with all the buffet must-haves: scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, corned-beef hash, fruit, yogurt, milk. And the service was polite and friendly.

On Saturday night we had dinner at Augustino's. An Italian Steakhouse that was on the resort's property. This is highly NOT RECOMMENDED. Before we started our meal we overheard the table behind us complain to the waitress that it was "the worst Italian meal that they had ever had." We were trying to be inconspicuous in listening and got a little scared about the food about to be served to us. The blue crabcakes that James got were good, but the lobster bisque I got was awful. It was so sweet! I know what lobster bisque is supposed to taste like and that is NOT it. I had ask for it to be taken away (and good thing the waitress did the right thing and removed that item off of the bill!). For the main course, James had the Shrimp Augustini (the *special*). The sauce that it was in was supposed to be lemony, but it tasted really bad. Another couple joined us (friends of ours) joined us also and my friend got a pasta dish and had chicken added to it. The chicken looked like dried up pieces of mushrooms! They were flat and crispy. She didn't have the heart to complain about it so never ate it - and got charged the extra $4 to have the chicken added. It just wasn't fresh and looked like it was overcooked, overseasoned and overblackened.

I recommended the golf cart driver who drove us back to the resort (because it was raining) not to ever recommend that restuaurant to guests. And if I could say to the hotel: "Stop advertising it on the in-room hotel channel!"

GOLF: James reported that the courses were nice, but his game got cut short due to [normal] Florida summer thunderstorms. He only got to the 5th hole.

SPA: The La Terra spa is where I went with my friend while the guys played golf. VERRRY nice! I've been to many spas and had never gotten a body scrub before. Very interesting! And I'd do it again. I got the La Florida. My skin is smooth and soft! My friend got a fascial and she sait was great! And the nicest spa she's ever been to.

• Liked — The mattress and sheets!
  • Disliked — The fact that they advertised for the restaurant, Augustinos Italian Steakhouse.