We had a bad Marriott experience from a reservation/Marriott Corporation standpoint. We attended a conference so we had to phone the hotel directly and was immediately connected to a 1-800 number to handle the reservation. We have a 13 year old son and 16 year old daughter so we always request a rollaway cot. When requested, I was told that rollaway are not allowed in this facility. I was very concerned with our situation. I went ahead and booked a double room. After investigating the area, found that the Villas were close by and were suites. About a week before leaving, I called the local hotel to investigate rooms closer and again transferred to the 1-800 number. I explained the situation to the operator who told us that with the Marriott Rewards Membership, we would automatically qualify for a free suite upgrade and as of then, many suites were still available. I had no idea suites were even offered. So, she said she noted the request and when sent a reservation reminder, we ourselves made note of the upgrade request. At this point, I decided not to pursue staying at the Villas. (wish I had, seemed very nice)
When we checked in, we were immediately greeted and said, we have good news that a suite is available for us. Then we were told it is a $50.00 a day charge. We were never told about this in fact was told that it would be automatic as a member. Needless to say, we were extremely upset. Even the assistant manager came to speak to us and again said they could not automatically upgrade us without the fee. The resort looked empty. We were then placed in a double room and were told yes, they can place rollaway cots in the room. It probably is a fire hazard as we were not able to get to the window. The guy who brought the cot, was just going to leave it as it was hard to fit in the small room. Upon entering the room, a call was placed to the 1-800 number and the operator did look up the reservation and said that we did qualify for an upgrade. When asked about a charge, he said, I do not think there is a charge, and then he looked further and found that it was small notations of being a charge. This was never mentioned when first offered to us nor was there a mention anytime of a $12.00 a day resort fee. (Still do not know what it covers)
The lady who checked us in gave us one free breakfast coupon and said we could come back each day and ask for more coupons. We were not going to do that. In fact, the less we saw of the front desk, the better.
The conceirge lady was helpful. The breakfast bar was not worth the price and juice was not included. The staff was overworked. We ordered room service one day and they forgot one order and charged for things that were not to be charged. It was a mess, but I did not complain about that.
The hotel is not near anything that is not golf related. We had to drive 10 minutes for other eateries. The spa is nice but took us 15 minutes to even get there with the slow speed limit and construction.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Explore everything that downtown St. Augustine, Florida has to offer! Renaissance World Golf Village Renaissance St. Augustine Resort offers a complimentary shuttle for individual guests to and from downtown St. Augustine (based on availability). our St. Augustine resort offers fresh, well appointed accommodations featuring 37 inch flat-panel televisions, sparkling new bathrooms and furnishings, high-speed wireless Internet access, spacious work areas, wet bars and refrigerators among many modern luxuries. Meet in the largest combination hotel and convention center between Orlando and Atlanta. Within 15 minutes of the resort enjoy 108 holes of championship golf, including the Slammer and Squire, located just steps from your guest room. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your World Golf Village Renaissance St. Augustine Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Renaissance World Golf Village Hotel Saint Augustine
- Renaissance Saint Augustine
- Saint Augustine Renaissance
- World Golf Village Renaissance St. Augustine Resort Florida