“Just ok....”

Ascend Collection Castillo Real
Reviewed 15 April 2014

It was about 8pm when we arrived after driving from Key West. Long day went for dinner and came back to room. Thought we would try the dry sauna but it didn't work so we reported it to front desk, it was fixed the next night. Steam room smelled pretty musty so we didn't try that. We were so tired we just crashed. I was awoken very early and numerous times by elevator beeping and every word or sound made in the room that had an adjoining door to ours I could hear it like they were in our room! I finally gave up on sleeping and got up to take a shower and noticed a dirty plastic utensil had been left under the bathroom sink. I reported all this the next morning the hotel was full so there was nothing that could be done. The room was good sized and décor was average but if you are a light sleeper make sure not to have an adjoining room or be near an elevator. Was a short drive to all the sites and beach was right there.

1  Thank mimi1971
Rachel D, General Manager at Ascend Collection Castillo Real, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

mimi1971,

I am so sorry that your stay was "just ok". We always strive to exceed our guests expectations and we obviously failed for you. We do hope that you will give us another chance to win you over in the future. We can definitely try to get you a room away from the elevator and/or in a quieter location within the hotel and also one without a connecting door. Thank you for your feedback so that we can improve ourselves for the future.

There are newer reviews for Ascend Collection Castillo Real

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Nice hotel. Not a chain which I like. Rooms very spacious. Love having the fridge and microwave, and laundry facilities. Too bad breakfast only starts at 8 a.m. which is too late for me. I stay here every time I'm in St. Augustine.

Room Tip: I like the 4th floor as you can get cell reception there. Lower rooms don't always get receptio...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Inglishprincess
Rachel D, General Manager at Ascend Collection Castillo Real, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2014

Inglishprincess,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We appreciate your repeat business and are so happy that you stay with us each time you are in town. We look forward to the next time we can welcome you.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

Room was spacious, nicely decorated and clean. Bed was comfortable. Not directly on the beach but only steps away. Short drive to the downtown area and historic district. You can purchase breakfast. It was just ok... Limited choices. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: I would not pay extra for an ocean view. Condo between hotel and beach. View will be obstructed.
Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Rachel D, General Manager at Ascend Collection Castillo Real, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Picabo228,
We are glad to hear that we met your expectations and that you would stay with us again. I am sorry to hear that the breakfast was just "ok". Usually our restaurant is wonderful. Thank you for your business.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

Lovely hotel - polite staff - location is fantastic - right next to the beach - so lovely to walk there of an evening and in the early morning when no one around. Took up the option of breakfast in the restuarant - which set us up for the day -accomodated need for vegetarian alternatives.

lizzie3010,
Thank you for your kind words. We are glad to know that our location worked well for you and you were able to enjoy the beach during peaceful times. We hope, if you are ever this way again, that we can further accommodate you.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

I was there over the weekend with my 7 and 10 year old children. My first impression...beautiful hotel! We arrived too early to check in, but I was told they'd call us when our room was ready, and they did!! I asked a ton of questions about sightseeing and was given all the right answers! Our trip into town was based on their recommendations and was perfect advice! The weather was too cold to swim, but the hot tub was just right after our day into town! The restaurant was very accommodating as well, whipping us up a salad to go in no time, during a very busy dining service. I was very impressed from start to finish and would highly recommend this hotel to anyone! The only reasons I didn't give 5 stars is because we wanted an upper floor, but we didn't realize all the upper floor rooms were much more expensive than the lower floor rooms. Also, being on the first floor and near the elevator, as well as it being spring break time, it got very loud during our first night there.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Andi L,
We appreciate you taking the time to review your recent stay at the Castillo Real. It is great to hear that the Front Desk was able to give you such customized recommendations for you and your family. I will let the La Cocina Restaurant know how much you appreciate them. We do hope that you return again soon, maybe in the summer when it's warmer. Thank you for your business.

Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed the resort hotel experience so much that we added a day. Reasonable rates, as comfortable as home and the staff was amazing. Wish it were closer to old town, but not enough to move to a different hotel. I will return and recommend.

• Stayed: March 2014

M-Echoreo,
Reading your review made me smile. Thank you so much for your kind words. I am happy to know that my staff was so amazing and you felt like you were getting a good deal. We can't wait to welcome you back again soon. Thank you for your business.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

While the location ws well out of town it was quiet nad the room was very nice. Although we had difficulty with the air conditioning the staff did everything to make it right. They were friendly and cooperative. I would stay here again

1  Thank doctorj6

doctorj6,
I am sorry for your experience with our A/C. I am glad that the staff did everything that they could to accommodate the situation. We do look forward you serving you again and helping to make wonderful memories that will last a lifetime.