“Sweet find!”

Ascend Collection Castillo Real
Venice, Florida
“Sweet find!”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

A friend recommended this little jewel and I'm so glad she did! Wow! The hotel is very clean and more like a boutique hotel. The lobby is decorated in an elegant Spanish motif as is the rest of the property. There was a walk in marble shower in my room with unique accessories and a balcony overlooking the pool. (Room 210). There is a restaurant on the premises with a very good breakfast and I heard from my friend that the dinner is good as well. You have to pre purchase discounted breakfast vouchers at the front desk. There is a pool and a nice HOT hot tub to enjoy. The beach is VERY close, just down a short street. There is a good seafood restaurant just a block up the street, easy walk. If you pre-purchase the trolley tickets, ask the desk to call the terminal the morning you expect to be picked up and make sure they know to PICK you up! Otherwise, you could be "patiently" waiting forever like we did! In hindsight, I wish we had of driven to town, paid $10.00 to park in the downtown parking garage, walked across the street and purchased the trolley tickets. Then we would not have had to spend $20.00 for the cab back to the hotel and we wouldn't have waited forever on the cab. Also, expect your car to get covered in reclaimed water from the sprinklers at the hotel parking lot. Nowhere to get away from it....not a big deal, just messed up my freshly washed car. I did hear from another guest that he paid $88.00 for the same room style that I paid $134.00. He got a coupon from one of those coupon maps from a Florida Welcome Center out on the Interstate, but you can't use it for a reservation. It's what I would call a walk in coupon that is only good if there is availability. I would definitely recommend this hotel, especially if you are expecting to have time to enjoy the beach.

Room Tip: We were happy with 210. Quiet, clean, no issues
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Janice S
Rachel D, General Manager at Ascend Collection Castillo Real, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Janice S,
We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We also would like to thank your friend for recommending us to you. I am sorry that you had an issue with the trolley. I do know that if you have tickets for the Old Town Trolley (the green and orange one), we have scheduled shuttle service from our hotel to the welcome center/stop #1, 6 minutes after the hour from 9-4. I apologize for the spots on your car from our ground water. It is the same regular ground water that everyone uses in our area for lawns, but I'll look into it. I am happy to know that these little items did not hamper you from having a good time. We hope to see you again soon and Thank you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 23 April 2014

The decor was beautiful, the rooms quality, but the carpeting made our feet dirty. It is within easy walking distance to the beach. It had a fair amount of parking. The pool is not heated and was a big disappointment to our children.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Rachel D, General Manager at Ascend Collection Castillo Real, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
JZak2014,
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your family trip to St. Augustine. I apologize for your carpet, that is very unusual for our property. We do hope you will try us again when it is a bit warmer and you would be better able to take advantage of our wonderful pool area. Thank you for your business.
Lilburn, Georgia
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Very nice hotel. Stayed 3 nights, first night we were on the second floor overlooking the pool area. The hallway was open to the lobby/restaurant and kind of noisy. We upgraded to a 4th floor corner room. Very spacious room. Huge walk in shower with 6 spray heads! Very quiet and we had a huge balcony from which you had a view of the ocean and surrounding area. Had breakfast at La Cocina one morning of our stay. It was very good. Hotel staff was very accomodating.

Room Tip: 4th floor corner room was very large, lots of windows, huge balcony, you could see the ocean.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Amie W,
I am so glad we were able to improve your stay by helping you move to accommodations that better suited your needs. Those rooms are my favorite as well. I will pass on your comments regarding the restaurant to the owner. Thank you for your business and we hope to welcome you back again soon.
Annandale, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I liked the fact that this was a short walk to the beach and only about a ten minute drive to St Augustine. The employees were friendly and helpful. Our room was clean with plenty of towels. There was a decent beach wear shop close to the hotel if you needed anything. The restaurant inside the hotel was nice but expensive. Would stay again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Marge K,
We are happy to hear that our location worked well for you. Thank you for your kind words and we hope you will think of us if you are visiting our area again.
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
Reviewed 15 April 2014

It was about 8pm when we arrived after driving from Key West. Long day went for dinner and came back to room. Thought we would try the dry sauna but it didn't work so we reported it to front desk, it was fixed the next night. Steam room smelled pretty musty so we didn't try that. We were so tired we just crashed. I was awoken very early and numerous times by elevator beeping and every word or sound made in the room that had an adjoining door to ours I could hear it like they were in our room! I finally gave up on sleeping and got up to take a shower and noticed a dirty plastic utensil had been left under the bathroom sink. I reported all this the next morning the hotel was full so there was nothing that could be done. The room was good sized and décor was average but if you are a light sleeper make sure not to have an adjoining room or be near an elevator. Was a short drive to all the sites and beach was right there.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mimi1971
Rachel D, General Manager at Ascend Collection Castillo Real, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
mimi1971,

I am so sorry that your stay was "just ok". We always strive to exceed our guests expectations and we obviously failed for you. We do hope that you will give us another chance to win you over in the future. We can definitely try to get you a room away from the elevator and/or in a quieter location within the hotel and also one without a connecting door. Thank you for your feedback so that we can improve ourselves for the future.
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Nice hotel. Not a chain which I like. Rooms very spacious. Love having the fridge and microwave, and laundry facilities. Too bad breakfast only starts at 8 a.m. which is too late for me. I stay here every time I'm in St. Augustine.

Room Tip: I like the 4th floor as you can get cell reception there. Lower rooms don't always get receptio...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Inglishprincess
Rachel D, General Manager at Ascend Collection Castillo Real, responded to this review, 13 April 2014
Inglishprincess,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We appreciate your repeat business and are so happy that you stay with us each time you are in town. We look forward to the next time we can welcome you.
Weston, Florida
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Room was spacious, nicely decorated and clean. Bed was comfortable. Not directly on the beach but only steps away. Short drive to the downtown area and historic district. You can purchase breakfast. It was just ok... Limited choices. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: I would not pay extra for an ocean view. Condo between hotel and beach. View will be obstructed.
Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Rachel D, General Manager at Ascend Collection Castillo Real, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Picabo228,
We are glad to hear that we met your expectations and that you would stay with us again. I am sorry to hear that the breakfast was just "ok". Usually our restaurant is wonderful. Thank you for your business.