“Great place to stay!”

Ascend Collection Castillo Real
Reviewed 17 August 2014

My family of 2 adults and 2 teenage girls stayed there for 3 nights in July. We reserved a room that was larger than a regular room, but was not a suite. The rooms were very clean and had a refrigerator and a microwave. The shower was huge! The beds were very comfortable and we had free wi-fi and free parking. It was a short walk to St. Augustine beach and there was a shuttle to the old city every morning, which allowed my husband to take the car and drive out to World Golf Village and Royal St. Augustine to play golf, while the rest of the family toured the historic city. The staff was very friendly and welcoming. We will stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a larger than average room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Audrey B
Rachel D, General Manager at Ascend Collection Castillo Real, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Audrey B,
Thank you for letting everyone know what a Great place to stay we are. We appreciate your business and are happy that you enjoyed your time here. If you are ever through our beautiful city again, please keep us in mind.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

This is an extremely attractive hotel, great value for your budget, and, within walking distance of a beautiful beach. The room I shared with my husband and teenage son was a good size, and I especially liked the bathroom alcove. The walk-in tiled shower was big, a nice touch after some of the other bathrooms we had on this family road trip. We had a balcony room overlooking the pool, on the second floor. I would recommend the 4th floor,as I think the view would be better. Everything was very clean. The desk clerk let us know that if we wanted to have breakfast in the hotel, we could get vouchers at the desk that evening, and we would get a discount. We did do that one morning. The restaurant is decorated in a Spanish style, and breakfast was good. If I am ever in this area again, I would definitely stay. Very close ( 15 minute drive) to the city of St. Augustine, and there are other restaurants very close by.

Room Tip: Ac was very quiet, but I would try to get a room on the 4th floor.
1  Thank bookladyHardwick

bookladyHardwick,
Thank you for taking the time to review you recent stay with us. I am glad that you found us to be a good value and that you enjoyed your time here. We do hope that if you visit St. Augustine again, you will keep us in mind.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

My daughter and I stayed here for 2 nights and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The room was very clean, the toiletries are quality products and the beds were probably the most comfortable that I've ever come across in a hotel. The location is great, too. Just a short walk up to the beautiful St. Augustine Beach. We had breakfast both mornings in the restaurant and it was very relaxing and delicious. They play soothing music and it has a very high end feel to it.

The only downside is that Wi-Fi was spotty. We had a very difficult time staying connected in the room. If they could add more routers to the rooms that would definitely be a plus.

2  Thank CvilleMom21228

CvilleMom21228,
We are so pleased to know how much you enjoyed your time with us. We are actually in the process, as we speak, of upgrading our WiFi. I am glad to know that you were able to rest and relax while you were here. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Definitely on my list of good places to stay. We had a balcony room facing the pool which was great. Beds were nice as well roomy. Loved the mini toiletries available to use. Room had a microwave, mini fridge as well hair dryer... yay! Staff very nice!!! Only bad thing was that they did not have a place by the pool to get a drink, would have loved that. Pool was just perfect as well the hot tub that was nice to use in the evening. Only downfall for me is that it was a good walk to the beach. If and when we go back I would make sure to request a room on the 4th floor to get more of a view. We did find a great little place on the same side of the street past the parking that sold ice cream. Pier was close by if you want to fish. Many place to eat other than the restaurant on site if you want to walk but we like to explore so went by car most of the time.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Rachel D, General Manager at Ascend Collection Castillo Real, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

IcefrostOFlorida,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We are happy to know that you found us to be a great place and a great value. We appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

The reviews on this Hotel are not accurate & here is why
1. I found a long strand of hair on my bed sheet when I went to go to bed on my first night. (I had to sleep on a chair in the room. The hotel staffs attitude the next morning was its my fault because I didn’t wake my wife up from sleeping at 1 am in the morning to complain about it so the hotel staff could change the sheets). I was watching TV late and my wife had already gone to bed.
2. The next morning we had breakfast, I ordered eggs and in my dish (hair again!!) NO it wasn’t my hair because I am bald!!!!
3. I love children but the hotel only has a small pool so if you have 15 to 20 children ranging in ages from infant to 12 years of age swimming at the same time we all know what kids do in pools !! They urinate. So if you don’t mind swimming in urine then this place would be for you!!
4. Bottom line is the ratings that people are giving this property and all of the hoopla that the reviews are stating are not accurate. This is a bare bones Hotel at best.
5. FYI NO bar in the hotel, if you want a late night drink good Luck, get in your car and find a place.
6. If you want to buy an Ice cream or gum or anything get in your car and find a store!! No gift shop on the property.

Bottom line: Run away & don’t look back there are many hotels in St Augustine that are far better.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank joseph r

joseph r,

I apologize that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us. I am also sorry that you do not feel the other 400+ reviews are accurate. We do try to please all of our guests, but as humans we do sometimes make mistakes. We are a family friendly resort, and as such children are more than welcome. Our pool is balanced daily with chemicals mandated by the state health department that make it safe for all. You really will not find a hotel at the beach area in St. Augustine, in the Summer, that does not have a pool full of kids. St. Augustine itself is a very family friendly destination and we welcome children to have a safe and fun time with us. The restaurant does sell beer and wine, but as we do not have a liquor license we cannot have a bar and we do not advertise that we do have one. There is an ice cream shop 1 block from the hotel that we send guests to all of the time for a fun summer treat.
As stated above we do try to wow all of our guests and every once in a while we miss our mark. We are human and we apologize for any mistakes we may have made.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed at this property during our summer vacation (with my wife and 2 kids). In general the accommodation was very comfortable, had a mini bar and a microwave oven. Bath amenities were also good. The hotel is just a few steps from the beach and parking is free of charge. There are 2 points they need to fix though. The air conditioning in our unit was extremely loud (air flow noise). As the temperature was very high, the A/C would go on and off several times during the night. It was virtually impossible not to wake up every time it turned on and was on because of the noise it made. Also, the shower is not so good as the water pressure is very low.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Claudio A,
We are happy to know that you enjoyed your time with us this summer. We would love to know what room # you were in so that we can address the problems for you and all future guests. That you for your business and we hope you think of us if you visit our beautiful city again.

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

We booked this place as a second honeymoon and this place did not disappoint. From the customer service to the room, pool, and restaurant everything was perfect. Thank you for a new wonderful place to vacation. No smoking anywhere.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Rachel D, General Manager at Ascend Collection Castillo Real, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

Abner W,
Thank you! We are so happy that you enjoyed your second honeymoon with us. We hope to be able to welcome you back again and again. We hope to be your go to spot in St. Augustine or anytime that you need a romantic getaway.