“Great location, Good value and on the beach!”

Holiday Isle Oceanfront Resort
Reesekittymoe
“Great location, Good value and on the beach!”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

After reading all the bad, I went with an open mind.
We booked the night before, looked for somewhere on the beach- Hard to find! Found this was the only hotel available and had a pool/some sea view. We stayed on the second floor , room #203, had a balcony, good air conditioning and a nice little bathroom. The bed was a king, I love it, especially as we have a queen at home and have to compete with 3 other animals for space. Pillows were a little on the small side, bring your own is always an option. We had a coffee pot and fridge.
The room itself was clean and options for putting away all your clothes or to hang them was there. This was not an above average hotel, but it was in a great location and the staff were all pleasant and upbeat, thank you to Sam ,And it was clean, no dust bunnies under the bed. I would stay here again, it is a pet friendly resort and anywhere you can bring your animal is a plus to me.
Could the hotel use some upgrades, absolutely! the stair wells needed some love, new paint and possibly new lighting. The elevators were always running slow towards the pool end, but patience, YOU ARE ON VACATION! Where are you rushing to?
We did not use the pool, we wanted the beach experience, but I can tell you it was clean and had music playing in the background and not too loud, so was inviting for all family members.
The pool bar, had a fun server Jeremy who was knowledgeable about the area. The bar could do with some upgrades as well. But he was well stocked up on all liquor and beer, plus items for the kids.
As you walk out onto the beach you can rent umbrellas and chairs for the day and any suntan lotion you forgot.
All in all a very relaxing hotel with a great location.

Room Tip: Any room for a view, pool side 3rd to 5th floor for the ocean view.
Green Features: I was not paying attention to this, but did see a recycling trash can.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Reesekittymoe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We made reservations at this hotel because it is one of only two hotels in the area that are pet-friendly. This one is beach-side, and the other one is not. So we decided to make our reservations here. Their website is very nice. However upon arriving, it was apparent that what we saw on their website was not reality. As mentioned earlier, we brought our small dog. The pet rooms are in a hall together. We entered a hallway which had badly worn and stained carpet. Upon arriving in our room , we were not impressed. There was a roach in the floor, which told us the room had not been cleaned before our arrival. The sheet on the bed was "stained" from the previous guests. The bed skirt was also dirty. We called the desk, who sent someone to clean the room. When my wife pointed out what needed to be addressed, the staff person didn't seem to think it was a big deal. Another thing was that their website states you can only bring smaller dogs. However, there were two dogs in the room next door that were clearly bigger than what is supposed to be allowed. The bathroom was dirty and outdated. The only thing I can say in defense of this hotel is that when I went to the front desk to tell them that we were leaving and cancelling our reservations, they did not give us a hard time about it. Just told us there would be no charge and let us leave. I hope that they do as they said they would and not charge us. We ended up going to the other hotel down the street that is also pet-friendly and staying there. But we were very lucky that they had an opening. Although that hotel is across the street from the beach, at least it was clean and very reasonable in price. If you are looking to bring your pet on vacation to St. Augustine, do not be tempted to stay at the Holiday Isle. You might not be as lucky as we were in finding somewhere else to stay.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
2 Thank Brad B

Travellers are raving about these Saint Augustine Beach hotels

Louisville KY
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

Reading the most recent reviews I wonder if those people were actually staying in this hotel. We had a clean room, nice balcony (partial ocean view), comfortable bed, loved the location, and helpful staff. Really the only complaint I had was the hallways and elevators were very hot. After a day at the beach or sightseeing in St Augustine, it was good to get in the room and crank up the air. Would stay again.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank lyonsdm
pa
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We reserved a room for 2 nights. After one night we checked out and went elsewhere. Our room had a dead roach in by the air conditioner. A leftover hair brush on next to the dresser on the floor. It is run down, dirty dated and need of a renovation very badly and an exterminator. It was a dirty place, and I don't advise anyone to stay there. I feel I deserve a credit for the night I spent there. How they are always booked is beyond my understanding and they ought to be ashamed to charge $200 a night for such a dump. The location is good and I would suppose that is the reason why. it is located right on the beach, with a nice pool. We went down the street to another wonderful hotel for a few dollars more.

Room Tip: Room 218 has roaches. Avoid!!
1 Thank dianne24
Deltona, Florida
Reviewed 15 July 2014

What a huge disappointment! First of all, the photos on the website are misleading. Check in is at 4. I arrived at 4:30 to find 2 people working the counter, of which there were issues with people checking in. I waited in line for 25 minutes (yes, I timed it) before the Manager came out of his office to help.

Get through that, arrive at room & wonder if this was a prank. Room was filthy. Candy wrappers on floor by leaking A/C, hair in bathtub, stains on bedding. Not to mention the outdated decor, brightly painted rooms with peeling wallpaper, chipped paint & mold.

During the night I happened to look up & saw a bug on the ceiling over my bed. Decided to sit over on chair, reached over to grab a cup on tray with ice bucket & tray had sand on it from previous occupants.

Kids running & yelling down hallway was obnoxious. I felt the dogs there ruled.....I had to walk off the sidewalk or stand against a wall so the dogs could go by. Parking lot has many big holes - be careful.

At checkout I mentioned (to the Manager) that I saw 3 bugs throughout the night either on the ceiling or wall. He asked me what kind of bugs they were! Seriously? I'm a Banker, not an Exterminator.

Overall, I felt ripped off with the high rates I was charged.

Caye Caulker, Belize
Reviewed 14 July 2014

The resort was very nice and was great for the number of people that we had there. If I were in that area again I woulf stay there again! The staff was very helpfull to all of our needs and were verry friendly to us all.

Room Tip: Stay on the ground floor with a view of the pool.
Green Features: I do not have any thoughts about this at this time.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank John D
atlanta
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We spent the 4th July weekend, the rooms where on the 5th floor with a great view, very clean odor free, pillows Am so glad I brought mines ,theirs were so small my dad end up with neck pain! very cheap kind , plenty of towels , buffet for $10.00 not much but the omelets were good
I was told balcony with no view when i booked online surprised we had a beautiful view , actually was better I guess their "view" was looking at the pool { noisy) our rooms on the side building I still could see the city and ocean , instead of people in a little pool,
an advise DO NOT GET INTO THE POOL!, it seems with so many people in there I never smell "Pool Chlorine " instead a musty smell when you walk by, , tiki bar the best , quite at night not crowded beach, the access is was OK but a bit disappointed with Handicap accommodations
I have 12 year old child with cerebral palsy , one of his last wishes was to see the ocean
when I called I was told handicap access would be no problem , well everything was fine until I climbed the stairs with my son in my Arms quite a walk, is no wheelchair ramp! I was not able to find a handicap wheelchair in Atlanta I waited 5 months in waiting list, I was hoping the hotel would have some but they didn't, so like i said I carried my child in my arms over the long steps, then down then some how we all push his stroller trough the heavy sand I felt sad because I couldn't get him near the water, the umbrellas a bit pricey $30. a day ,
the hotel even thou is Old and not well maintain is clean very friendly. I do understand they tried to call places to see if they could find a handicap beach stroller but not having handicap ramp to go to the beach is Sad, maybe they should do something when families have children with special needs visit them . we spent 3 days my son only could visit 1 day :( ,
Our reason to go over there: less crowd beach and quite but did not work for Us, sorry guys , it was hard for my son only to see the ocean from the balcony:(

Room Tip: 5th floors rooms 521 best view
Green Features: an advise DO NOT GET INTO THE POOL!, it seems with so many people in there I never smell "Pool Chlorine " instead a musty smell when you walk by, , tiki bar the best ,