“My Stay ......deceptive and filthy” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Isle Oceanfront Resort

and 1 more site!
Holiday Isle Oceanfront Resort
St. Augustine, Florida
“My Stay ......deceptive and filthy”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed for a couple of days and decided that was long enough. The room was not clean and smell musty. The balcony railings were rusty. The balcony door was hard to open. The carpet was very dirty, damp and worn. I don't recommend this as the place to stay.

Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
marielena s, Front Office Manager at Holiday Isle Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear Guest,

I am sorry on your recent visit we failed to meet your expectations. I would like to further discuss your stay. At your earliest convenience please email meat mscibelli@holidayisleoceanfront.com. I hope in the future you will try is again and we can see if we can exceed your expectations. Our wonderful private beach access is always a plus in the summer months.

Marielena Scibelli

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
Live Oak, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

First let me just say, I am not one to usually leave reviews or say bad things about places. To each his own is how I see it. But this hotel and it's web site was a complete lie. The website shows a beautiful hotel with beautifully clean rooms. Let me tell you this couldn't be further from the truth! The staff are very friendly and co-operative. I can't say anything bad about the ones I encountered. When we started to our room, we couldn't believe how the hallway smelled and looked. I thought because it's right on the beach that perhaps a lot of wet people coming in and out it's got to be hard to keep clean so I over looked that. When we had to take the elevator to the third floor, it was slow and sluggish and smelled like mildew. You can tell by the dirt on the bottom of the walls and in the corners of every place you looked had not been thoroughly cleaned in a long while. We still over looked that part. But when I opened the door to our room, I seen the walls that were filthy, the bath tub was severely stained, the floors were sticky and you could hear them sticking to our shoes! The walls had feet marks on them and were literally black around the edges, with dust and dirt and filth. The balcony door was rusted shut. We had to pry it open and the cob webs at the top of the door were horrid. I'm not exaggerating! I have pictures to prove it. It was unbelievable. We had been charged $374 for 2 days in this filth!!! I don't think so. I started crying. We immediately went searching for another hotel, and when we found one for the same price and it was a 4 star hotel, we came back and checked out and got a full refund.
Again the staff at the front desk were very friendly and apologetic. All I told them was that we were very dissatisfied with the hotel and it's presence and whoever does their website needs to do a revision on it because it was deceiving.
My advise to anyone reviewing rooms, please look at the customers reviews! They will tell the truth. Some folks may not have had this experience but I can promise you we will never book at this hotel again. This was a weekend get a way for my husband and I because he had been working for 9 solid months 12 hrs/ day 7 days a week with only a few days off. We wanted it to be special. This could have ruined our stay. Thank goodness we found another hotel that was 100 times better, much classier and very clean.

Cleanliness
2 Thank Janice S
Dear Guest,

Let me first start off by saying I am glad our staff did a superb job with you during your stay as we feel our customer service skill is also very important role in our hotel. I am happy to report we did have our elevators serviced this weekend and hopefully they will not feel as sluggish, thank you very much for bringing it to our attention. I am sorry our rooms failed to meet your expectations on you recent stay as I will be discussing issues with housekeeping manager so a future guest does not have the same experience you did. I hope you will consider staying with us again in the future and please when you do please contact me directly at mscibelli@holidayisleoceanfront.com and I would love the chance to go above and beyond for your next stay.

Travellers are raving about these Saint Augustine Beach hotels

Stanley, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

My family (a party of 9) has stayed at this hotel since 2002 (when it was actually a chain hotel). We've always enjoyed our stays. The last time were down (2011), it had changed hands and was no longer a part of the chain and there were a few rough patches, but we chalked that up to it being a new hotel and trying to find its "groove". This time, there's no room for excuses. We stayed for a week and only got maid service ONCE. Twice they just came by and dropped off towels since we were in the room, I'm not sure what happened the rest of the time. The one day we got maid service, my room only got new towels (although no new hand towels, even though they took the one I had, and no wash cloths), the beds made, and the trash dumped. My sister's family's room (we were connecting) got the bathroom cleaned and new towels. Very poor on maid service.

The wait staff in the restaurant was the bright spot of the hotel. They were very friendly and we genuinely enjoyed dining there just to talk to them.

Unfortunately, we were there the same time as a large convention (well, half the time we were there--we arrived on Tuesday, they arrived on Friday--we all checked out on Sunday). While most of the convention-goers were fine, there were a vocal few who were VERY rude to our family. They complained that there were children in the pool (um, hello? It's a family hotel?) at 10am and said children had the audacity to get water in their drinks (then go drink by the bar!). (I should mention these adults were sitting with their feet in the water of the pool, holding their drinks--our kids weren't doing any more splashing than any other kid would do while trying to swim.) Moral of this point--make sure you aren't there the same time as the Parrothead Convention.

The gentleman who rents chairs for the beach is wonderful. He's always friendly with our family (and remembers us even though we're only down there every 2-3 years). He's definitely worth patronizing while there.

All in all, we won't be staying at this hotel anymore. The gentleman who rents chairs does so at a few hotels and next time we travel we will be staying at one of those.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank comet9443
Hawthorne, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

We always stayed at a hotel in St. Augustine fro over 30 Years...... We decided to visit Holiday Isle in St. Augustine...... Fantastic choice....... It was all in all perfect...... Everyone there was so very nice.........Loved it planning on next get a way.......

Room Tip: Corner Suites with pool side and some ocean.........
Green Features: Super friendly staff....... All in all it was perfect for me and my husband......
      Rooms
2 Thank christin93
marielena s, Front Office Manager at Holiday Isle Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Guest,

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us at the Holiday Isle Oceanfront! Our team tries daily to accommodate each guest and make them leave feeling like they are family. We look forward to your next stay with us and don't forget to think of us for your next family event or wedding we do offer great banquets and event meeting space as well!!!

Atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stayed here for 3 days and it was wonderful. YES the property is old and could use some renovations but when you are going to be on the beach all day who can complain! The pool area did look larger in the pictures but it was a nice atmosphere with great music playing. Room was what as pictured. There are 2 grocery stores just down the street which was so convenient. Beach was nice and clean with the a lifeguard stand. If your looking to stay on the beach then this place can't be beat.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank stephstock
Dear Guest,

Thank You for your recent stay with us at the Holiday Isle Oceanfront! We really do care about our guest! I am so glad you enjoyed our private beach access and our wonderful Tiki Bar poolside! Next time check on the shuttle service we have that can get you downtown for some of the historic sites its fast and convenient way to see the attractions.

Clearwater, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stay at this hotel every year for an event, and while they are very nice and try to be helpful, there are a couple of things they need to improve upon (besides the obvious upkeep and maintenance on an old oceanfront hotel).

The most glaring problem was not enough servers or cooks in their restaurant. Although she was trying her best to keep up, the only server working on a Friday night was slammed with customers. Some gave her a hard time and complained loudly (wasn't her fault it was taking so long) and some people walked out because they tired of waiting. Same thing happened in the bar in the next room - people left because there was no one to wait on them - even though there was live music in the bar. Management knew this event was happening (arrangements made months ago) and yet they didn't plan appropriately.

The beach is very nice and its very convenient (although a bit pricey) to have someone renting out umbrellas and chairs on the beach so you don't have to drag your own out there.

All in all it was a nice stay but they really need to learn how to schedule their staff to avoid situations like in their restaurant and bar.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
2 Thank HarriMiller
Dear Guest,

I am so glad you come back each year with your group as we love having you! I do appreciate your insight on the restaurant and will be sharing your thoughts with the team. I know each member of our team is dedicated to making everyone's stay great so we will continue to strive for that great customer service! We do have some newly renovated rooms and hopefully by your next trip the rest will all be complete! We look forward t your next event with us and thank you again.

Evansville, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Spent 3 wonderful days in St. Augustine. I chose this hotel due to its location right on the beach and for its pricing bundled with airfare and rental car. The service was great. We needed extra towels a couple of times due to playing in the sand and also taking showers. Towels arrived in less than 5 minutes. The location was exactly what I was searching for. I wanted something I could walk out back of the hotels stairway and have beach access. They have a pool and tiki bar along with music each night. Great atmosphere but I question the mentality of paying a little extra for location on the beach and then spending your time in the pool. I can spend time in a pool back in my home town. I can't go to the beach and lay out in the sand or play in the waves. The street in which this hotel is located also has many great local restaurants. It was out goal to not eat at a chain restaurant the 3 days we were there. Once again, I could do that back home. These restaurants were great as well. The hotel itself looks a little weary, but all in all it was a great stay. Would come back again.

Room Tip: Not many rooms with a view so if you are wanting that amenity you need to check into this before you...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Chris M
Dear Guest,

Thank You for your recent stay at the Holiday Isle Oceanfront! I am so glad we were able to be your hotel of choice. The private beach access does give our hotel that extra perk most do not offer. During your next stay try our wonderful weekend breakfast buffet the Omelet Station is incredible! We also have a Restaurant Times you can get from any front desk agent with many non-chain restaurants nearby! I look forward to your next stay with us and please email me at mscibelli@holidayisleoceanfront.com and we will try to get you that oceanfront balcony room for your next stay!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Augustine Beach
La Fiesta Ocean Inn & Suites
La Fiesta Ocean Inn & Suites
#1 of 10 in Saint Augustine Beach
BEST WESTERN St. Augustine Beach Inn
BEST WESTERN St. Augustine Beach...
#3 of 10 in Saint Augustine Beach
St Augustine Island Inn
St Augustine Island Inn
#49 of 79 in St. Augustine
Hilton Garden Inn St. Augustine Beach
Hilton Garden Inn St. Augustine ...
#4 of 10 in Saint Augustine Beach

Been to Holiday Isle Oceanfront Resort? Share your experiences!