“Best Choice Among the Few”

Hilton Garden Inn St. Augustine Beach
Jacksonville, Florida
“Best Choice Among the Few”
Reviewed 11 January 2013

As noted from previous reviews, there were few choices in town and this is probably the best one. The hotel was nice, clean, beds are comfy. and plenty of parking The front desk clerks were all very polite and helpful. Even though it is located across the street from the beach side, it was only a five-minute walk to the dunes. Right next door is the Sunset Grill where we stayed for NYE and had a prime view of the fireworks display. I liked the hotel and the laid back town.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Alabama
Reviewed 9 January 2013

My family stayed in this hotel for two nights in late December. This is a case of paying for "location"....( there is a relatively limited number of hotels in the beachfront area of St Augustine )....although this hotel is actually across the street from the ocean. The hotel room itself was nice enough, but I would have to disagree with the reviews that raved about the mattresses. The first night I had a terrible nights' sleep, despite attempting to adjust the softness. The second night, swapped to the other bed in the room, and while it was a bit better, the amount of "adjustment" available , at least in these two mattresses, was minimal. The second evening, I did mention my disappointment in the comfort level to the front desk clerk, who DID offer to send someone from maintenance to see if he could adjust the bed with any more luck than I'd had...but as my family was already settled in for bed it seemed like rather more trouble than it would be worth for that last night. Maybe we just had mattresses that had been "adjusted" one time too many.
For the money, breakfast included would have been nice as well. This hotel, while not terrible, by any means, was just not worth the rate charged. .Had we not prepaid ( nonrefundable ) through a travel site for both nights, we would have definitely moved on after the first evening. This is our second visit to St. Augustine; frankly, the beach is okay, but in the future, I would choose to stay in the historic district instead.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Trisha D, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn St. Augustine Beach, responded to this review, 11 January 2013
Thank you for your review of your recent stay, I apologize for the discomfort and disappointment. We strive to offer personalized experiences for each of our guests and actively looking for ways keep costs low while providing enhanced services for comfort and convenience. I appreciate your review as it provides feedback that I need to re-evaluate guest needs and make the necessary adjustments to our offerings. We hope you will reconsider giving us another chance.
Florida
Reviewed 8 January 2013

Me, my wife, and 4yr old boy stayed here one night, 01/04/13, in room 213. Check-in was at 4pm, but they allowed us in at 1pm. Location is on the beach side of St Augustine, as opposed to the historical area. I was impressed with the cleanliness. Hall carpet, and room carpet were stain-free. Elevator was in great shape. Shower was very nice. I've actually stayed at a cheaper Red Roof I would stay here again. Service was great. I spoke to one cleaning lady in passing, she was very friendly. My only complaints (and this is really nitpicking): Our room door was somewhat hard to open, the spigot in the bathroom was also difficult...kind of clunky, and the pillows go from nice and poofy, then slowly flattened out. Great job Hilton-St Augustine! :)

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 6 January 2013

We have been going to St Augustine Beach for several years every month or so to visit our daughter. We have tried several hotels on the beach. Garden Inn was the best so far. The employees were friendly and the room was clean, smelled fresh and the bed was fantastic (Sleep number) with a comforter that was both comfortable and not too hot. If you bring up the hotels on the beach, you will find it is moderately priced. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: The hotel has an elevator. The third floor at least gives a peek-a-boo view of the ocean.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SlowNnice
Palmetto, Florida
Reviewed 2 January 2013

Maybe an older place but it is very well kept and the room showed little wear. The bed was fabulously comfortable and there were plenty of large fluffy towels on check-in to last our two day stay. The rooms gets nice and dark and the only issue we experienced whatsoever was that too much light comes in around the door. The breakfast is reasonably priced and a good value if you are hungry for a bit more than coffee and a pastry.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RoLoHa
Punta Gorda, Florida
Reviewed 31 December 2012 via mobile

Staff goes out of their way to be helpful, courteous, and works hard to resolve any issues. They make this place above average.

Room and common areas were neat and clean, fixtures and furniture were above average hotel quality.

The coffee at the guest stand was bitter and the food from the made to order breakfast was pretty much unacceptable. We were near the end of the service and there were no glasses for cold drinks, no table service, no clean tables, etc. the one server was busting his tail, but flat out unable to keep up. Not a good use of resources as three people stood behind the front desk enjoying an animated conversation.

I would stay here again being aware of the issues.

Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Pinkfloyd7
Trisha D, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn St. Augustine Beach, responded to this review, 4 January 2013
I want to personally thank you for sharing your stay with us. I'm so pleased you found our staff friendly and accommodating and will your compliments on. I understand guest room presentation was a concern; it is for us as well. Reviews such as yours give us insight as to what we need to do to improve. I do hope that the next time your travels bring you to the area you will stay with us and provide feedback about your improved experience; we would love to have you. Thank you!

Kind regards,
Trisha M Dombrowski
Athens, Georgia
Reviewed 29 December 2012

To be honest, the choice of hotels on St Augustine beach is rather limited, but this seemed as good as any, and the location was what we needed. We got a good rate, but first impressions were not that good. The lift (the only one) was not working, though not for the first time the staff were really helpful in getting our luggage onto the top floor. The room was large and reasonably well equipped, though the coffee-maker was incomplete and the heating was noisy and the controls not intuitive. The beds were comfortable enough. I liked the shower, but again the bathroom was just getting a bit tatty. For the prices charged, I really felt that it should be better. The staff were great, on the whole, and just about made up for the deficiencies of the building itself.

Room Tip: The suite seemed to be very good value, if you can get one.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family