“Good value”

Hilton Garden Inn St. Augustine Beach
Ottawa
“Good value”
Reviewed 29 March 2009

Not the greatest hotel I've ever stayed at, but nothing wrong with the place either.

Lobby, fitness center, pool, and our two rooms were clean. One morning, the cleaning lady left her cleaning gloves on the bathroom counter - no big deal.

Good selection for buffet breakfast, and a really good value at $9 compared to other places you might have breakfast (Denny's, Perkins, etc.).

And to the person who complained that the drapes don't close - they do close. You just tried to close the "show" drapes, not the real ones. If you'd tried harder, you'd have noticed that the real drapes are actually behind the sheers. This is the design at probably half of the 50 hotels I stay at per year, so not common to this hotel.

The number of channels that they get is a bit low, which is maybe my only legitimate complaint about the place. Since it rained during the first half of our week-long stay, it would have been nice to be more entertained indoors, but no big deal.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank NJJP

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
vixiepoo
Reviewed 25 March 2009

The hotel was ok. Parking lot was secure. Great location, right across the street from the beach. Met some real nice people... but the staff was total creeptown! Creepy man maids everywhere. It was weird. and there was vomit on the floor the entire week we were there that had never been cleaned. It smelled the first few nights but it eventually subsided. I mean I could hardly smell it when we walked by to check out. When going down for my morning coffee I was ice grilled by front desk ladies to make sure I wasn't mackin on breakfast, since it apparently wasn't included.
Overall the hotel was nice but I might look around for a better hotel first.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 23 March 2009

We were very happy with the Hilton Garden Inn. This was our second stay and we're glad we came back. It's about a block from the beach, in a central part of St. Augustine Beach. The lobby is comfortable and spacious, with a 24-hour convenience station that sells snacks, toiletries, beer & wine, juice, water, etc.

The rooms were clean and well furnished, with a coffee maker, fridge, microwave, and comfortable beds. Bathrooms were clean, with Neutrogena toiletries. They have connecting rooms available, which was important to us as a family with young children.

There is a "business center" -- a room with 2 computers with internet access, printer, and copier. The fitness room is small but clean and up to date, with new treadmills and elliptical machine, medicine balls, and space for stretching.

The breakfast is $9 per person, which seems pricey when you are used to free breakfast. However, they have more than the usual "continental" fare, with made-to-order omelettes, pancakes, etc. The staff was friendly and helpful.

Overall, a good stay -- we'll be back next time we're in St. Augustine.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank StartsOn95
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 17 March 2009

My stay was a trial run for a 2 month extended stay in the area for business. Being close to Spring Break it has been difficult finding local extended stay options.

My first experience with the hotel was with their sales department who gave me the run around and did not perform on promises they had made. I booked a room for my boss a couple weeks earlier for a meeting, and they had not given us the discounted rate agreed upon - they did not rectify the situation. I overlooked it thinking this is Hilton Garden Inn and not a precursor for what was to come.

At check-in, my reservation was also incorrect despite 5+ phone calls to the sales team and General Manager prior to arrival. The desk clerk was hospitable and did not give me a hard time about correcting the rate. I was however downgraded to a 2 double bed room on the first floor. I did get my bottled drinking water though-see below for why.

Room is average and I would say very below average for a Hilton Garden Inn. There is a slight mildew smell in the hotel. I assumed it was 'beach' smell until I saw the bathroom. Bathroom had mildew growing for some time in the corners of the tub along with a fungus growing on the ceiling. Water runs a bit brown and you can see the staining in the tub. Toilet ran slow too with what I hope was water stains.

New towels were in the room - unfortunately they were so new that they left lint all over you after you showered. But you can't complain about new towels.... Room was ok - standard with a microwave and mini-fridge.

I understand it is the busy season at the beach so I expected families and possibly roudy neighbors. No one was being obnoxius at the hotel however I could hear every word of my neighbors conversation with their child next door - not muffled, every word! Thank goodness I didn't have loud neighbors!

As others have said, breakfast is $8.95. Don't expect a free breakfast - that is pretty standard at this branch of hotel.

Beach access is just across the street - love the beach but will have to find another place that delivers on affordability and cleanliness.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Explorer_Gene
florida
Reviewed 4 March 2009

My husband & I stayed at the hotel for an anniversary getaway weekend. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay! The rooms are very nice! I had arranged ahead of our arrival to have a fruit & cheese tray delivered to our room. The hotel is in a fantastic location! You can walk to many attractions including the fort and St. Georges Street. Our room overlooked the harbor and the Bridge of Lions. The front desk help was very pleasant. The valets were friendly and attentive. Joe even offered us some great ideas for dining. The breakfast buffet was delicious.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travelgrlFlorida
Florida
Reviewed 16 February 2009

My wife and I were both suprised that Hilton let their name be on this hotel. It definately did not live up standard that our past Hilton experiences have given us.

The Bad:
-It was not worth the 150 a night that we paid. I would say this is hotel is marginally better than a HoJo/Days Inn.

-The hotel layout is awful. Only 1 guest entrance that happens to be right next to the maid's stations. Don't go here looking for an ocean view (of course we knew this going in, but apparently from the other reviews, everyone does not). 1 elevator services the entire hotel so there can be a pretty good hike depending on where your room is

-The draps do not close. yes you heard right - they do not close. terrible design, there is mesh drape that closes, but not the solid. So, I hope you're not planning on sleeping in!

-Breakfast not included (take that into consideration when pricing)

-The bedding was in bad shape for being a relatively new hotel. the comfortor had literal clumps of stuffing throughout.

-paint peeling off the wall in our room

The Good

-The bathroom was extremely clean

... and thats about it.

• Liked — clean bathroom
  • Disliked — hotel design
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank frogmandf
Miami, FL
Reviewed 29 December 2008

We stayed just for 1 night on this hotel, and it almost ruins all our plans to visit the wonderful Saint Augustine city.
Between the good things we can say that the price of 227.00 for a run for 6 people is fair, if everything would be perfect in the room. Also the hotel looks pretty new and it is next to everything, next to the beach and you can reach the downtown in a few minutes.
I think is the lack of personnel that creates little inconveniences in the hotel:
1. - Dust in a lot of areas. Even in the tables of the lobby area.
2. - 2 of our pillow cases had a bad smell; we don’t think they replaced them.
3. - They didn’t replace one of the sheets in one of the beds. At the time we realized of that (very late at night), we didn’t have energy to ask for replacement.
4. - My daughter use the Jacuzzi and when the jets were turned on, some black stuff came spewing out of the holes. Totally gross!
5. - The hotel don’t have any attractive, not even a lobby bar or a mini-bar in the room.
6. - No silverware in the kitchen. You suppose to bring everything if you want to cook something inside the room.

We won't be back there

• Liked — Hotel New and Good Location.
  • Disliked — Cleanliness and lack of attractives
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank RamonReig