“Great Fishing”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Bob Sikes Cut

More attraction details
Owner description: This channel, which separates St. George Island from Little St. George Island, is known for being a great spot to catch flounder.
Linden, MI
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Great Fishing”
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I have been coming to St. George Island for a couple of winters, stay on the Plantation so I can get to the cut. First year casted frozen shrimp out into the cut. Lost a few rigs on the rocks but ended up catching a couple of nice Reds, big fish, lots of fight and tasty.

Past couple of years I watched a couple of guys catching Sheephead out on the rocks every time I was out. I tried to watch what they were doing and copy. This year I finally figured out the "secret". I got a 14 foot crappy rod with a medium to light reel. The 14 foot rod is the key. It allowed me to sit on the rocks and flip the bait out past the edge of the rocks and hold it there. With the bait hanging just outside the rocks it did not get hung up very often. This is a real problem with shorter rods. I could hold the bait right next to the rock, playing the current, and get to where the Sheephead were feeding. I have been doing real well this year, actually having Sheephead fish dinners--very tasty.

The bait I like to use is "Ghost Shrimp". I figured out how to get them when two years ago went to Port Aransas, TX and fished there. I bought a PVC pump that sucks them from the sand at low tide. Super easy here but have to get low tide, look for the little holes when the waves pulls back out. The pumps sucks them up and then spit them out to collect. The sheephead love them. Although, I have used frozen shrimp when my supply of ghost shrimp runs out. I get bites with frozen shrimp as well.

The sheephead are light biters. I tend to hang the bait out there and bob it just a little. When I feel ANY resistance I set the hook. They are good fighters and at first it feels like a snag but then the line starts to move. A net with an extension on the handle makes the job of landing easier.

Be careful on the rocks, they can be a challenge. But, all in all it is not necessary to walk out onto the jetty very far. I started to wear a fishing life vest after hearing a story from one of the regular fisherman that slipped one time and fell into the water. With the rocks it could be a very bad fall into the water. Better to be careful than dead !!!

Visited January 2014
20 Thank GrandpaGary

Stillwater, Minnesota
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Interesting Area”
Reviewed 26 December 2013

While true that you need Plantation access to reach her by car/foot, if you can get there - it's a rather interesting place. There's a small carpark, followed by a nice public footpath that takes you out to the Gulf coast near the cut, then a short walk to the cut itself. The beach and rocks are quite lovely. We were there in the winter, so no boat traffic. I would think it would be tough waters to boat through with the current.

Visited December 2013
4 Thank DogAgility
Titusville
1,088 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1,301 helpful votes
“Reach by kayak”
Reviewed 12 December 2013

We have sea kayaks and worked our way along the shore on a calm water day. If windy, this might
not have been as much fun. Boat traffic through the Cut varies withe the time of day, but not a problem. No way to reach this area by automobile, but there are ways around the gate. check with the locals as they know where and how to access the "forbidden fruit".

Visited January 2013
6 Thank James H
Virginia
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Neat Cut”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Pretty neat manmade cut at the end of St. George Island. Do need plantation access to get to the cut. Lots of rocks for climbing and wide beach at end of island. Watch the boats come in.

Visited November 2013
2 Thank D R
Cookeville, Tennessee
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Someone was bought off!”
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I agree with others that it is TOTALLY WRONG that this feature which was created with public funds has been isolated from that public. It is a great fishing spot, but you can't get there except by boat. I have read documentation that the Plantation developers were allowed by Franklin County to close off the end of the Island ONLY under the condition that access by fishermen to the cut was maintained at all times. Apparently someone has paid off the appropriate individuals to get them to ignore, and now deny, that agreement. The businesses on St. George loose a lot of money from potential visitors to the cut, especially fishermen, as a result of this situation.

Visited August 2013