“Wonderful Beach Trip with my Family!!!”
Review of Buccaneer Inn

Buccaneer Inn
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We had a wonderful time. Everything was clean and staff was friendly. Loved being right there on the beach. My whole family loved it. Can't waiting go back. We stayed for 3 nights and went fishing right outside our room. Walked right down to the water.

Room Tip: Everything was Wonderful!!!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 29 July 2014

I stayed here recently for a family get together. We had 7 rooms in our party. Non of them were together. The location couldn't have been any better for our purposes. We were able to walk to the beach or play in the pool. We had several children in our party so the convenience of a pool & the beach nearby were perfect. The rooms were decent. The cleaning services were so-so. They didn't replace our towels or clean the room very well. We had to go to the front desk for more towels. The air conditioner worked awesome!! I rated it 4 stars because of the location but needs improvement on the cleaning services. Needs some updating as well. Water leaked from the outside of the AC units & 1 of our rooms had a busted up door at the bottom. You couldn't see in the room but just didn't look nice. Kitchenettes were helpful & worked great. No grilling allowed on the property though.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Hubby and I rented a king bedroom suite - which is in a separate building that we named the tower. The room was large and has a great view! This is an older hotel with an older decor but it has a fridge. Room was clean and maids were available (or not) every day until about 4. Two weird things (no biggie) was that you had to pay a quarter to get a little bucket of ice. We didn't know and our maid gave us the first quarter (very nice of her). Nice pool - great staff! This is a beautiful island that isn't overrun with tourists. We will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: The double bed rooms are really dated! The king bedroom suite was more updated.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I have stayed there many times and just talked to reservations and it was the worse experience ever. I finally gave up...she was totally confused. Where are the people that know what the heck is going on.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Julie S
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Our experience at the Buccaneer Inn (St. George Island, FL) was exactly what we thought it would be even after reading all the negative reviews too. Not wanting to pay a high cost of a one week stay and looking for a place right on the beach, we are totally satisfied with this Inn. The room was bigger than most cheaper hotel rooms. Of course, we got the room with the King size bed by the parking lot which was fine for us and cost less too. The Kitchenette was well equipped. You might want to bring a good cutting knife if you plan to cook, which we did. The room service was excellent, friendly and continually made sure that we had what we needed for each day. On the 4th of July, the fireworks was wonderful! Right on the beach close to the Inn also. One of the only negative is that there is no wi-fi in the rooms. They have a special internet room to get online. (Although, we were able to hop on someone else’s internet in our room). Hope you enjoy your stay as much as we did! One good advice for shopping for food: The Family Dollar Store in Apalachicola, which is just before crossing over the bridge to the Island, is the best place (cost wise) for buying water, juices and snacks. If you plan to shop for food, you might want to stop at the Walmart before arriving close to the vacation area. They have a Piggy Wiggly in Apalachicola, but of course, you are going to pay more than a ‘average Piggy Wiggly’.

Room Tip: The King size bed was very comfortable. Cost less to get a room on the parking lot side. The room wa...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Sue R
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I agree with other reviewers that this hotel needs an update. But for the price we paid we got a clean, decent place to sleep, eat and bathe and spent most of our time on the beach! I would have liked a microwave instead of the electric stove they provided, but if you want to cook in the room you have all the things you need to do it. I suspect if they spent money on upgrades they could not keep the prices as low as they are and I appreciated the savings. If you want fancy, rent a house. If you want affordable with a great location, stay here.

I do agree with the issue with smokers. There was a container just outside our door for disposal and we had to move it far away as I am very sensitive to smoke. Perhaps those could be put in an area where the smokers are allowed to congregate together and not pollute the air for the rest of us.

Room Tip: Reserve early and get a room facing the beach. We tried but none were open during our stay and we h...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank tlcottrell
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for our anniversary because we love the island (it's where we got engaged and married). The other times we've stayed on the island, it was with a larger group and we stayed in houses. Since it was just 2 of us on this trip and we weren't familiar with any rentals other than houses for larger groups, we decided to give The Buccaneer Inn a shot. We were very disappointed. Since the island is always clean, quiet, and family-oriented, we expected The Buccaneer Inn to follow in line with that. Instead, it was more suitable for high school kids to stay on spring break. The bed had a huge indent in the middle so when we laid down in it together, we both rolled in to the middle. Yes we were on a trip for our anniversary so being close wasn't necessarily a bad thing but being swished down into the trench together wasn't the most comfortable way to snuggle. I say down on the end of the bed once to put on my shoes and the top end of the bed flipped up and I slid into the floor. It wasn't a tragic accident but it was off-putting to not be AE to sit on the bed without going for a a ride. The bathroom was tiny and not too easy to move around in. We didn't spend time at the pool so I can't comment on it but we did walk by it to go to the beach so I know there is one beach side. On our way to the beach, we had to weave in an out of people sitting outside their rooms in chairs smoking. I realize the smokers had to step outside to smoke but we aren't smokers so having to walk through an obstacle course of smokers wasn't my ideal way to spend my leisurely walk at the beach. And there were so may people sitting outside their rooms smoking all at one time, it was like it was a smoking convention at The Buccaneer Inn. I have nothing against smokers but since I don't smoke, I don't enjoy having no option but to walk through the smoke to get to the beach. I couldn't hold my breath long enough to make it to the end of the sea of smoke. And it want just the smoke that bothered us. We literally had to zig zag around people on the walkway outside the room doors to get to the beach. And of course, no one apologized for blocking the entire sidewalk. We typically don't find much to complain about when we visit restaurants, hotels, shopping malls, etc but this particular ave made it difficult to find anything good to say about it. I don't recommend it to anyone unless like the "spring break" atmosphere.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
#4 of 5 in Apalachicola
Coombs House Inn
Coombs House Inn
#1 of 3 in Apalachicola

Been to Buccaneer Inn? Share your experiences!