“Sweet little hideaway”

Ranked #1 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
London, UK
“Sweet little hideaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2005

I am amazed that anyone could fail to like this place - it's one of the sweetest, friendliest and most relaxed little hotels I've ever stayed in and, to top it all, astonishingly good value. A real slice of old-fashioned Florida, sitting right on the beach, such as I didn't think existed any more, and as I walked north up St. Pete's Beach, past all the high-rise, corporate monoliths defacing the seafront, I was all the more grateful to be staying here. The rooms are huge, spotless and have everything one could want, the owners are wonderfully friendly and the other guests, who seemingly run a continuous tea-party in the yard, are a lovely bunch of folk who quite melted my English reserve. If you're looking for a bit of character and friendly, relaxed atmosphere, I'd say this place gets 10/10.

• Stayed February 2005, travelled on business
6 Thank Crowsbill

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2005

Loved it. I'm confused about the other reviews I'm seeing and wondering of they are talking about a different place! Went there for July 4th, 2004 for a friend's wedding. The rooms were quaint but charming. The owner was pleasant, as were the amenities. You won't hear anything negative about this place from me - I'll stay again anytime!

• Stayed July 2004
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2004

The first two times we stayed at Pass-a-grille, we stayed here. The first time was bearable, but the second time, our room stank like cigarette smoke (not a mild smell-- a STRONG one), and we only had a tiny window to try to air out the room.

The owners were friendly enough, and there's a grill and patio eating area that is nice. But the "continental breakfast" is minimal, and we eventually found Sabal Palms Inn just a block down the street, which has the same great location, spotless rooms, and a great deal more amenities (hot tub, bikes, beach chairs) for a similar (if not smaller) price. The next time we needed a Pass-a-Grille weekend, we switched, and haven't been back to Inn On The Beach since.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2004

My husband and I planned to stay her for 3 nights for our 17th wedding anniversary. I asked alot of questions over the phone and was leery because of the not great reviews. The lady told me she thought we would love it but if not they only bill your credit card for one night and we didn't have to stay if we didn't like it. The dining room, living room and kitchen were nice. The bed was uncomfortable and the pillows smelled musty. There is a street light that shines right in the bedroom patio door through the vertical blinds. There isn't much water pressure or much hot water. It wasn't terrible but not really worth $170 a night. When we tried to check out the next day the owner was very ugly and said they had a 2 night minimum and we would have to pay it. When I told him the name of the person I talked to he was very angry and said he didn't know why the *** she told me that. He reluctantly let us check out but we have an uneasy feeling due to the fact that he has our Visa #. We ended up at the Holiday Inn at Treasure Island which was very nice.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2004

The location is wonderful right across from the beach, and parking is right out in front. But the beds were uncomfortable and squeaked loudly with the smallest shift in your body position. The place is in terrible need of proper maintenance. Toilet leaked, several loose floor tiles, T.V. broken (and not replaced during our stay). The A/C was a noisey old window unit type. Towels were replaced when placed outside your door, but bedding is only replaced once a week and no room cleaning is done during your stay.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2003

The accomodation was charming and the stay itself was very pleasant. We stayed for two nights in June 2002.

The Inn keeps trying to charge us for an extra night. Every time we refute the billing they submit it again. It's been going on for six months now. I recommend you go elsewhere but if you insist pay in CASH. Don't let them anywhere near your visa.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
INNonBeach, Manaager at Inn on the Beach, responded to this review, 6 February 2007
Thanks for the opportunity to respond to reviews posted on your site. I have been the manager of Inn on the Beach in St Pete Beach since May 2004, and would like to say that this review is not representative of a guest's current experience at our property. My number one priority is guest satisfaction, and to treat everyone with respect. We have many loyal guests who return frequently, which has to be a testament to their positive experiences here.
Most of our rooms have been remodeled/redecorated in the last 2 years, including mattress replacement where needed!
I would welcome your comments and ideas regarding how we can make our reviews on your site more reflective of the current quality, rather than years past.
Sheila McChesney