“Excellent value in a fantastic location”

Sirata Beach Resort
Ranked #12 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Reviewed 25 April 2011

This was our first visit to St. Pete Beach and hopefully will not be our last. I was nervous about some of the negative reviews of Sirata here, but it seemed to be the best fit for what we wanted -- a suite accommodation with a separate living room for our daughter, right on the beach, in a resort-like setting.

PROS:

* LOCATION! Fantastic beachfront property! Sirata is situated on a very deep expanse of the beautiful beach. There are plenty of beach cabanas available at an additional cost (ours was included in a $20 daily "resort saver" package which also covered wi-fi and parking). I took a walk down to the "majestic" Don Cesar resort and was pleased to note that Sirata's beachfront area is more spacious than theirs. Also, due to the outrageous rental car rates during the week of our stay, we opted to go without a car. We used Bat's Taxi out of St. Pete Beach for airport transport to and from Tampa; each leg was about $65. Once at Sirata, we relied on taxis and the bus for getting around; great restaurants and convenient shops (Publix Grocery, CVS, Beach Mart) are close by.

* VALUE! Our king suite was well under $200/night. It had a full-sized fridge and microwave. We didn't do any cooking, but we could make popcorn and had snacks and beverages for the beach and the room. This saved a lot of money on drinks we would have otherwise purchased at the hotel. I had considered the Tradewinds properties, but the same accommodation type was almost twice the price (and I think the quality would be comparable). So with the money we saved on accommodations, we felt free to spend some money on fun experiences. For example, my husband and daughter rented Wave Runners three days in a row (we went to the rental place that was located just south of the place that was closest to Sirata's beach and saved $18 each time -- it was $45 for a 30-min. Wave Runner rental vs. $63 at the one near Sirata).

* The staff was very friendly and accommodating. (More on this in the "CONS" section.)

CONS:

* Our room was located in a noisy part of the resort. It was in Building 4, and our room overlooked Harry's Bar, the north pool, and a grassy recreation area with some lawn-type games. (We did, however, have a decent view of the gulf.) People were out late (well past 11 pm) making lots of noise. However, we did have the opportunity to move to Building 1 (the main tower) in a much quieter and nicer king suite. It faced the street but was up on a high floor and had a view of the Bay. This accommodation type was an Executive Suite and did not have a door separating the bedroom from the living room. My daughter decided she could live with the noise because she liked having the pool and ocean view. But I was pleased with how courteous the front desk was in letting us look at the other room option, and they made it clear it would be no problem for us to move. We just didn't take them up on the offer (though I personally would have preferred it). Bldg. 1 appears to be the 'nicest' on the property, with the freshest rooms (and might be quieter than the other buildings) -- they might all be suites in this building, however. By the way, our living room TV set got replaced during our stay with a flat screen.

* The pool scene was kind of nutty ... but that was fine for me, because I was there for the amazingly beautiful Gulf of Mexico! But the first day, my daughter wanted to use the pool, and I really didn't like it. The three pools are small, and during our stay, the center pool was frequented by groups of loud adults who drank beer after beer from their own cooler and chain-smoked. Their ashtrays were set up on the pool ledge. It was gross. Also, there were a number of babies/toddlers in the pool who were clearly not toilet-trained. But there was no monitoring by hotel personnel, so nothing would have prevented a situation where one of these babies might have had a BM in the pool. However, that little bit of information was what got my daughter to want to go to the beach (and stay there for the rest of the trip!).

* The pull-out sofa in the living room was not fit for sleeping! The mattress was curled up like a thin little pancake on top of the tortuous metal frame. Luckily our daughter is small enough that we were able to put linens on the sofa cushions and make her bed from there. But if you have more than one person (or a full-sized person) needing to use the sofa sleeper in the suite, this could be a problem. We checked out the sleeper in the Executive Suite in the Bldg. One room, and while it was in better shape, it still wasn't something that looked like it would provide a good night's sleep.

* Our restaurant experiences were limited to dinner at Harry's Bar the first night (basic, OK pub fare) and the Compass Grille for breakfast (bad service, freezing cold air conditioning, terrible coffee). But there are so many options within walking distance or a short cab ride, you don't need to limit yourself to the resort's restaurants.

I would definitely recommend Sirata with the disclaimer that it's a 3-star property and not at all fancy. This amounts to clean, comfortable digs in a FANTASTIC location!

Room Tip: Bldg. 1 has the nicest rooms.
5  Thank gem21

Reviewed 25 April 2011

My family recently spent five days at the Sirata Resort Hotel in St. Pete. We were surprised that the two rooms we reserved were upgraded to Executive Suites in order to keep us together. This gave us so much room to spread out. The hotel location was great and right on the beautiful St. Pete Beach. We especially liked Rum Runners Bar and Grill. The food and service was excellent. We found the hotel clean and well maintained. I can see the hotel has been busy upgrading the rooms. We had a flat screen TV and a comfortable bed with new sheets. The sofa in the living area needs replacing, but we have no complaints. The Sirata is definitely up there with the best hotels to stay at on St. Pete Beach.

Room Tip: Bay side room is pretty and quiet.
2  Thank sammydavis
Reviewed 25 April 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Sirata during Easter weekend. We booked a beach front king room, which was on the second floor of building 2. The room itself was a typical size hotel room. My only real complaint was the size of the bathroom and shower...both tiny. We really didn't mind it too much though.

The view from our balcony was awesome. We walked down a short flight of steps and were right on the beach. It was super handy when we needed to come in from the beach to use the facilities or refresh the cooler. On the beach, there are several rows of cabanas and we figured out that you need to get out there EARLY to get one on the front row near the water....around 9-10 a.m.

The first night we arrived, we had drinks at Rum Runners. The drinks were fine, but the service was very slow. The next morning, we had breakfast at the Compass Grille and the food and service were both excellent (Delbert was our attentive server!). Paris served us drinks at Harry's beach bar the same day and she makes a mighty fine Mai Tai. We ate a nice dinner at the Blue Fugu Japanese steakhouse nearby. It took a little while to be seated but the food and service were excellent once we started dinner. We drove down to Treasure Island and ate our best meal of the trip at Middle Grounds. It is a little pricey (around 100 for steak/grouper plus a bottle of wine) but we both thought it was worth it. They do have an early dinner special if you can make it before 6:30. About two blocks from the hotel there is a little diner called Skidders. Good breakfast food and service there.

We had a rental car, but the resort is within walking distance to several restaurants, a liquor store and a beach mart.

We didn't use the pools at the resort, but they looked nice with lots of seating. There are plenty of towels so don't worry about bringing any.

I guess the best thing about this resort was the location. It is right on a big beautiful clean beach. You just can't beat that! Our bill was exactly as we expected when we checked out...no surprises or hidden fees. The hotel staff we met were all helpful and friendly. We would definitely stay again!

Room Tip: Beachfront rooms on the 2nd or 3rd floors
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank FlashRiley
Reviewed 24 April 2011

I wanted to take the time to write a review as our holiday could have been so different if it had not been for the wonderful staff at the Sirata, in particular Stephanie (Guest Services Manager).

This was our third trip to the Sirata over a 5-6 year period and as previously we booked a twin centre holiday for three families (9 of us in total staying in 3 rooms). For the second time we booked our holiday with Travel City Direct and all the way along we have had problems with Travel City who we will never use again. When we used them for our last holiday we must just have been incredibly lucky but we had anticipated an even smoother holiday as Travel City are now part of the Virgin group!!!!

We left our first hotel on Universal Drive, Orlando and all headed for the idyllic St Pete's Beach to spend seven nights there. We arrived at lunchtime on the Saturday to find that Travel City had emailed the reservations for our three rooms to completely the wrong email address so the first the Sirata knew of us staying was when we all arrived in Reception. The staff were all lovely but we dealt mostly with Dennis and Stephanie who explained that they were fully booked with no room availability at all - they even contacted a no-show to see if they were definitely coming but when they could not accommodate us off their own back they secured us rooms at another hotel. Stephanie spent a considerable time then getting a hold of Travel City (didn't happen), a Virgin rep (who did eventually get all of our reservations over) and with other hotels until she had found us somewhere to stay.

I was given use of their telephone, allowed to charge my phone in reception, all of us were given use of ALL of the Sirata's many facilities and Stephanie went out of her way to update us when she managed to get any responses. We are still, a week later, waiting for Travel City Direct to come back with answers and even an apology for wasting a considerable amount of time and our precious holiday.

We then returned to the Sirata a day later and as soon as it was humanly possible we were allocated three adjoining rooms with a lovely view over the pool and the ocean. As always I found our room to be clean, a minor problem with the hand basin was fixed within 30 minutes of my phoning the front desk, the maid came in daily and honestly we couldn't have asked for more.

There were no problems with getting a bed around any of their three pools, towels were readily available, some of the party used the hotel's gym (I managed to conveniently be sleeping when they knocked :D ) and we also used room service, the onsite shop and the bar and restaurants - finding the same friendly accomodating service in all.

I know this is long winded but people quite often list negative points so wanted to say a huge thank you from the Coopers, Clarkes and Colemans for a fantastic service. Looking forward to the next time already.

Room Tip: The amazing sunset from the beach :D
  • Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank Crunchie-Lover
Reviewed 21 April 2011

We moved here from the Grand Plaza next door which was just too small for us. Luckily a room was available for the last 4 nights of our 6 night trip. We were happy with the very large King Suite with a Bay view, but would request a beach view room with two queen beds next time (we were SO GRATEFUL to be there and really liked this room though). Fold out couch was fine for the kids and it was nice to have two TVs.

Decor is a bit outdated and the place is a bit tired, but still so much better than where we were. So nice to have a real kitchenette with real dishes. Room was always cleaned promptly and well by Elena.

Loved the three pools, two hot tubs, two beach bars, and all the fun games there are for us: corn hole, ring game, ping pong, pool, two game rooms. Our kids (10 and 12) loved it because there was so much to do. The cabana guys were great, the towel service worked well, and it was so nice to have hammocks to relax in.

Staff (especially the front desk) was welcoming and pleasant. Bell staff was great, but hard to find when we arrived early (it was check out time, so I know they were busy). People who work there actually say "hi" when you walk by. Very nice.

Ate at Compass Grille for breakfast, which was very good. Excellent greeter and waiter (Megan). Jarrod at Rum Runners was super nice and enthusiastic. Some of the lady bartenders were not so friendly though.

Because it is a large complex with large ballrooms, there can be lots of groups using the place. A sorority party happened one night, but we never heard it because we were on the 7th floor. Jimmy Buffet's crew stayed there, and we never heard them but sure heard their three GIANT buses as they hogged the parking lot. Very cool that the Surfrider foundation had a gathering there, and they actually had small but decent waves one morning while there.

The only real gripe I have is the amount of smokers at this place. No smoking inside at all, it's not permitted---but at the pools it is a free for all. Is it just a fact of Florida? I cannot believe how many people still smoke---what a colossal waste of money and health? Would it be possible to designate a smoking area at each pool? That way those of us who wanted to stay away could. Weird too that the smoking level went WAY down after the weekend was over and Monday came along. Hmm.

I would recommend this place to families with younger kids (mine are 10 and 12) but keep in mind it is NOT fancy, but gets the job done. If you can get a high room you will have less noise. The elevators were FAST.

We will likely be back to the Sirata.

Room Tip: Use your AAA card!
2  Thank mprice1963
Reviewed 21 April 2011

The rooms we stayed in were double beds and hard as a rock meaning I needed 2 aleeve and a massage, The Resort fee is a joke I could see if it was a 4 ***** at least, The hotel is a long way from the ocean if I opened my window I would hear cars and trucks going by not waves crashing into the shore. I was expecting more for thr $$$ so I will not go back

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank trg1700
Reviewed 19 April 2011

We stayed 4 nights at the Sirata Resort. The previous 4 nights were spent at Disney, so we were really looking for some R&R. I booked online and requested the highest possible ocean view...and that is exactly what I got. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would have no problems recommending St-Pete Beach.
Here are some interesting comments:
1. The rooms and furniture are outdated. That would be my worst criticism. But it was still very clean. No odours as well.
2. The beach was amazing. We had an incredible view from our balcony.
3. My kids enjoyed the pools and there was no lack of chairs.
4. We paid the 20$/day package for wi-fi, parking and the beach cabanas which I highly recommend. The beach cabanas are a big plus!
5. Noise levels were acceptable...but not the quietest of hotels...
I would recommend this hotel, but I think if we came back I would like to stay at another hotel just to compare....The Tradewinds Island Grand seemed to have better amenities but I will not comment until I actually stay at the hotel....
7/10 would be my score.