“Save your money and go somewhere else”

Sirata Beach Resort
Ranked #13 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
“Save your money and go somewhere else”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Prior to leaving for our vacation we discovered our room was not a balcony room. One of the girl tried to get this changed and when we got there it was changed but we were put up in an obstructed view room and had to wait till the next day to get moved. This really puts a damper on the vacation. There is basically no early check in so don't waste your time. The towels are terrible especially for sunburn. The front desk manager could give a rats behind on what you think feel or need. The bars food were sub par and drinks were outrageous. We have stayed in St Pete prior several times and we will not ever go back to the Sirata. They ask you to check out towels at one area and not at the other so there really is nobody keeping track. The facility is a maze until you get use to it. The only thing I really liked were the beds - which were pretty comfortable and the linens were great. My husband did end up with a rash....not sure what this was about. Overall we will spend our money elsewhere the next time we go.

Room Tip: Becareful some of the floors are located under or over their banquet rooms and if there is a wedding...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Laura L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,091)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We went back to the Sirata, booked way early for this trip.

4th of July firework on the beach given by the Hotels in the area was a lot of fun to see. Then after the fireworks show was over, went up on the balcony and looked over the bay (not the ocean side) and there were fireworks all along the bay as far as you can see. Amazing!

Harry Bar and the Rum Runner bar and grill were the best ever. Hats off to the staff who worked the Holiday! Try the Quesada with spinach.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Sirata is a solid choice for staying on St Pete Beach. The beach is beautiful. The Compass Grille was very good and accommodating. The staff was very friendly. The room was clean and spacious. The ammenities were very nice - three pools, two hot tubs and two poolside bars. All in all, we were satisfied. If 3 1/2 owls were an option, that is what I would have rated it, but alas. Now, there were a few things which prevented me awarding it 4 and 5. First, they should designate smoking areas. I can't tell you how many times I saw a parent sitting right on the edge of the pool with a bunch of kids in it smoking a cigarette. I know this may not be practical and normally being tolerant of smoking, it made a bad impression on me. Seemed like the smokers were everywhere you wouldn't think they should be, including sitting outside their rooms on the walkways, etc. Second, they need to be more "on point" for late-night partiers. Again, I am normally pretty tolerant on this, but on the night of July 4th after fireworks should have been done for the night, someone started up at 12:30 AM. It went on for about 15 minutes and I finally called security. They said someone had just called and they were going to take care of it. My feeling is they should have been all over that when it started. It sounded like they were right outside our room. The next night there were at least 4 people right outside our room talking and laughing near midnight. They stopped soon enough, but again, not very respectful. Lastly, upon check in, paying for a slight upgrade of "courtyard studio", they tried to give us a studio on the first floor of building 3 overlooking the parking lot. After complaining, they moved our room to the 3rd floor, same building facing the same direction, but overlooking the Center Pool. It was better. The grounds of the property were clean. The in-room coffee was terrible. The value was average. Not bad, but not great.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank blynx07
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

When we first checked in on our ocean 1 front reservation. Our room was on the first floor over looking the weeds. Not Exactly an ocean view. The room was old and horrible with an AC unit that was so loud we couldn't even talk. We then complained and was moved to the 2nd floor with an actual ocean view. AC units still sick. .9 day vacation. .we complained about the AC unit working sometimes..but no one came..parking is bad.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Chad F
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

This was great! We have stayed here twice in the last 4 years. Both experiences were really good. 8 nights and not one issue.
However, the initial room, 1131 wasn't quality beach front in my opinion. This is because you can't see the beach from that room.

Stayed July 2014
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

For the third year in a row, my kids and I stayed at the Sirata on St. Pete Beach. The hotel staff is friendly (especially Alessa, our housekeeper) and efficient, the room clean and modern, and the grounds and facility in perfect condition. There is live music at Harry's by the pool all afternoon and evening and Harry's food is good too. The towel service and beach staff is always great as well. We always have a good time at the Sirata and this year was no exception. We'll be back next summer!

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Jessica M
Curtis A, Manager at Sirata Beach Resort, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Jessica M,
Thank you so much for your outstanding feedback and ratings. We were happy to read you thought the hotel and property was in perfect condition, the staff is efficient, friendly and of course Harry’s is a big hit with great food and live music. We take great pride in presenting a spotless and friendly environment. Thank you for noticing. We look forward to seeing you on our return visit.
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I needed to update this review after our first night. However, the hotel's internet wasn't working during the last days of our stay, so I had to wait until we returned home to update this review.

Good: On the beach, which is why we booked it. The hammocks are awesome. We got an Express Deal on PL. Curt Anderson, the Manager who responds to all these TripAdvisor reviews, followed up with us directly in an attempt, unfortunately not a resolution, to address the countless issues we encountered during our disastrous Sirata stay. Though I wasn't able to connect with him directly, I appreciated the attempt to rectify the issues. He left us voicemails on two different days (see below).

Bad: It's LOUD. It seems that every room may be loud? See below. We requested a quiet room and a wedding reception rocked above our heads on Night #1 and below us on Night #2.

Ugly: I'm a light sleeper. I make no qualms about it. It's how I was made, the cards I was dealt. I deal with it by informing the desk clerks upon check-in. They typically assist by placing us in relatively quiet areas of the hotel. I did my usual spiel upon check-in at the Sirata. I informed the less than friendly desk clerk, who seemed exhausted or was just having a bad day, that I am a light sleeper and we hoped for a quiet room. He confirmed that he placed us in a quiet area. The interaction with him was weird and things felt off for sure.

Night #1, Room 1705: Upon returning to our room, we understood why the vibe had been weird earlier in the day. At 11pm a full-on DJ yelling on the mic and high heels in full force right above my head was apparently the quietest room in the resort.

We call down to the front desk and the guy we speak with is surprised that we were booked to this room since we specifically requested a quiet room. He also stated there were many other rooms available when we checked in and shared that the clerk who checked us in would be off tomorrow. Why would you book someone who requests a quiet room in the row of rooms under the dance floor? Guess it wasn't his problem anymore, since he was off.

The manager who could change things was off for the night and the hotel was booked that night and the next. He stated that the wedding that would take place the next night would go on even later.

Upon having no recourse, I submitted my first review and found a review from the week before complaining about the dance floor noise in the exact same row of rooms. Unfortunately I booked the hotel before that review was made. Hopefully, I'm helping out some fellow light sleepers by informing you not to book 1703, 1704, 1705 or 1706 (7th floor). Yes, you face the road, which is quieter than Rum Runners, but you've got the DJ on the 1s and 2s to rock you to sleep...or not so much.

I wore ear plugs that blocked out the loud air conditioning noise, but merely muffled the wedding reception. Noise went on after midnight and then we were awakened in the 7am hour by furniture being moved above our heads. My partner is blessed as a sound sleeper. That noise even awakened him!

Day and Night #2: I ended up having to sleep half the day away since I didn't get sleep the night before. After enjoying half a day at the beach, we returned to the room around 9pm to a message from Curt Anderson apologizing for the noise. Upon calling the manager on duty as instructed by the voicemail, he apologized for the noise and stated that he understood a TripAdvisor review was submitted, so they were trying to address our concerns. By then, it was nearly 10pm and we started hearing the DJ above getting louder. The manager on duty suggested we move to Room 1436, which he assured us was in a really quiet area of the hotel. I mistakenly trusted what I was being told.

We packed up all of our items and moved to the new room. I unpacked and then guess what? The wedding band below our room started CRANKING their tunes. It was even louder than the DJ from Room 1705. I could literally not believe it. You know that moment when things get so absurd they are laughable? Well, this was that moment for me. My partner was not pleased at all! You know full well that I'm going to include this in my trip review, WHY oh WHY do you put us in a room DIRECTLY over the other wedding taking place in the hotel? Customer service here needs a overhaul. Pretty sure it's Hotel Impossible Anthony Melchiorri time.

We attempt to log on to the internet and the internet isn't working. As there are two connections named "Sirata", my partner called down to ask if it was a different log in for this portion of the hotel. The front desk attendant said he didn't know and then asks, "hey, you guys were the ones complaining about the noise, how is it in your new room?" My partner explained this was even louder than the other room. His response was, "well, that's what you get when we are a booked hotel." My partner was infuriated. Thankfully, I convinced him to hang up the phone and just call it a wash.

Day and Night #3: We again ventured to the beach and intentionally stalled a return to our hotel room, since we weren't sure if a third night of weddings was planned. We returned to another message from Curt again apologizing for the noise and offering compensation. His shift was over by the time we'd returned to the room, so I didn't phone down to the front desk.

Thankfully no weddings took place on Sunday night. However, I went to throw something in the trash under the sink in the kitchen and I was greeted by a friendly roach, as mentioned in so many reviews below. We'd only been in the room for one night and didn't have any food in the trash. We had a pizza box in there. I suggest that you not have any food at all if you choose to stay at this hotel. Throw your trash elsewhere. This is the first hotel in the area in which I've encountered bugs. It's the hotel and the LACK of aggressive pest control, not the area.

Day #4: We were leaving for an early flight in the morning, I told the front desk clerk upon check out that we appreciated Curt following up with us, but had again missed his call the day before. We were not charged for our three days of parking upon check out, so perhaps that was the compensation being proposed? Nothing was relayed to us upon check out, so I'm not really sure.

Overall, this was truly a complete disaster of a stay, perhaps one of the worst stays I've had anywhere in the world. There are many other places to spend your money. Particularly if you are paying full price for a room here, I'd think twice about your purchase. If you are a partier, a heavy sleeper or don't mind roaches, this may be the place for you.

Room Tip: Avoid Rooms 1703, 1704, 1705 or 1706 (7th floor) and the block of rooms around 1436, unless you are...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple