“Never again!”

Sirata Beach Resort
Ranked #13 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We recently stayed at the Sirata with our kids and another couple and their kids. Upon my friends' arrival at 5 p.m. they were told their room was not ready. Two hours later they were able to check in and did receive a few free entrée vouchers to be used at the resort. When we checked in later that evening we found our room to be quite outdated and not very clean. The next morning, we ate breakfast at the Compass Grille, where we received mediocre service. Perhaps it was because we had children with us but we could all sense that the water was ready to see us leave. That afternoon our friends left their room to return to an overrun toilet and flooded floors. Maintenance attempted to clean up the mess but it was quite disgusting knowing what they were walking on. The next morning, we attempted breakfast again at the Compass Grille with a different waiter- same thing . He didn't get the order right and didn't offer to correct it. My husband, who did not want breakfast, joined us at the table after we ordered and was greeted so rudely by the waiter with no "hello" but instead told him that breakfast was over and he could not place an order. Upon signing my receipt, he stood over me as if he was pressuring me to leave a tip. When we returned to the room, we began to pack and as I pulled back the covers to make sure nothing was left behind I spotted a dead bug on the sheets- this then explained the five welts on my back I had noticed that morning. I would not stay here again. One positive- the location and a bellboy named John who was very polite and courteous.

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank briarosteen
Curtis A, Manager at Sirata Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Dear briarosteen,
Thank you for your constructive feedback. We appreciate your detailed comments. On a positive note we were happy to read you enjoyed our location and the services of John our bellman. You can rest assured the negative issue you encountered at the Compass Grille was an isolated one. We have shared your comments with our management team to ensure this is addressed with the staff. We strive to ensure comfortable accommodations and quality Food and Beverage experiences, I am sorry we let you down. We appreciate your feedback and do you will give us another chance.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,350)

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Another great hotel on the beach. Loved listening to the beach sounds. Ballroom was huge. Had a great delicious dinner. All the staff were friendly. Would recommend this hotel to all visiting Saint Pete Beach.

• Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed at the Sirata for one Saturday night in July for a girls' weekend getaway. Four of us shared a studio-type room. I'm not sure if it's marketed as a studio because I didn't reserve it, but it had a bedroom and a good sized living room with kitchenette. There is a full size refrigerator. We had one queen bed and one pullout couch. It was set up nicely with the bathroom between the two (toilet and shower were separate from the sink area). It was kind of nice so that while we were getting ready, we could chat. Beware that also means there is little privacy, if that's a concern. Nice pool and hot tub area, but closes at 11. That was kind of a bummer for us, but I understand. The room's balcony is not actually a balcony at all. The sliding glass door opens to railings, so while the view is great, you cannot sit outside with a drink or anything. Oh, and the A/C unit is set to automatically shut off when the sliding glass door is open, so your entire party better all be in agreement. The location on the beach is ideal. It is truly beautiful, very clean, and a great atmosphere. The small bar in the middle (can't remember the name) has the BEST lava flows I have ever tasted!!! Seriously, they are even better that the "real" thing in Hawaii! The cabanas are very reasonable priced for the day. We also ate breakfast at the on site restaurant and it was good. Within walking distance is Crabby Bill's. Delicious seafood! Only other thing I would say is that I would stay again if I was on a girls' weekend or another quick trip, but I wouldn't stay a week just because of no balcony (I know, I'm spoiled) and not having a full kitchen. Other than that, the place was awesome and the beach even better!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank joecaraboys
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We had booked a week at Sirata based on the beautiful pictures online…our room looked nothing like the pics. We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite that had a beautiful view of the beach & pools…that's where the niceties ended. The carpet was so gross I was afraid to walk on it barefoot. The sink in the vanity had cracked glazing all around the drain because it was so old. The stove had food in it from the previous person & there wasn't a coffee pot available. It took us multiple tries to yank the sliding glass door open to go onto the balcony because the door was not working properly. And the bed was so squeaky I was anxious about rolling over at night that I would wake my husband up. And all this is just about the room.
The worst part about the layout of the hotel is that the door to your room is on an outside walkway (not an interior hallway) that overlooks the parking lot for Sirata & another hotel next door. So anyone walking through the parking lot and yelling for friends, etc all night just echoes up to the room. The door to the room opens from the walkway straight into your "bedroom" & there's a window along the walkway wall. So when people are walking outside of your room at all hours of the night, it feels & sounds as if they're about 3 feet from your bed…because they ARE! The best part (NOT) was the family that came home at midnight with lots of small kids that ran screaming down the walkway past our door to theirs & then the drunks yelling right outside our door for their friends to wait up at 4:30 AM!
Stay here if you're on Spring Break & looking for a typical run-down beach strip motel that's in dire need of a good cleaning & maintenance. We could only take it for 2 nights (the 2nd night we only stayed because we'd spent the whole day trying to find another place to move to for the rest of our stay). After we moved to Madiera Bay Resorts (for about $75 less per night), the entire feel of our trip improved & we had a wonderful rest of our week. BTW--Madeira Bay Resorts was a 2 bedroom, 2 bath with a FULL kitchen for $75 less per night…& no additional fee for parking! I was really annoyed that we wasted 2 nights staying at Sirata after we found a place so much nicer.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank clintdi

Dear Clintdi,
We are saddened to read that your recent experience at The Sirata Beach Resort was a disappointment and sincerely apologize for the issues you encountered. We are family oriented property owned by the same family for over 50 years. We do on occasion have some rambunctious guests with children. You can rest assured we have shared your review with the appropriate management so we may make the necessary improvements. Thank you for your feedback and we do hope you will reconsider visiting us again.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

My wife and I along with our two children, ages 11 and 13, spent 5 days at the Sirata. Here is what we found:
The Good: The sunsets are gorgeous, the beach was excellent and the gulf water was like a bath. The resort was very clean and the staff very friendly and always willing to help. The food at the restaurants were OK,nothing spectacular but you get what you pay for and it hit the spot when needed. More on that later. Love the little blue pails filled with Rum Punch at the beach!!!
The OK: Your choice of restaurants in the area is failrly limited unless you want to hop in the car and travel a fair distance. The Sirata's onsite restaurants were OK but found to be a bit pricey for what you get. There are some good restaurants within some of the other resorts which are quite good. Give those a try. Bongo's on the beach was a great place, the food was good and eating right on the beach was great. Crabby Bill's was awesome as well.
The Bad: The week 5 days we were there, it looked like the carpet was never vacuumed. there was always sand and dirt on the floor. I attempted to speak with the maid but she spoke no english and I dont speak spanish so there was a break down. The sheets are not replaced, the bed is just remade with the same sheets. This was disturbing to us since after the first day, there were very small ant type critters roaming around the walls, on the floor, on the head board of the beds. One night I grabbed one off the side of my head so it would not go in my ear.

All in all we went there for a beach, a sunset and relaxation which we did get. Our room was in building one on the 6th floor and it had a full balcony overlooking the garden and the beach which was nice at a days end.

Room Tip: Do some research for restaurants before you go and call the resort to make sure you get a full balco...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Mike L
Reviewed 5 August 2014

While planning a surprise 30th Party for my wife, I ran into some dilemmas. One of which is she loves the beach. The other was having a barn/cow themed party on the beach. I was given the name of an event coordinator at the Sirata named Amanda. We talked about everything and decided to book their Tiki Hut behind RumRunners. The contract was easy and Amanda had open lines of communication throughout the entire two months prior to the event. We managed to create a Barn style Tiki Hut complete with hay bales, cow print decor and excellent center pieces. It was PERFECT. On the Day of the event, Mark (the Manager of RumRunners) made sure that our every need was taken care of and checked on us throughout the evening. The server Nate, was incredible. He somehow managed to remember every one of my guests names and what they drank, along with helping with every possible need. Nate did an amazing job and I am so very thankful for the 3 of them!!!!
As for the resort, It is my favorite on the local beaches. Our room sat on the beach with the back patio leading straight into the sand. The bars and food are great and one of my favorite bartenders Dominic, is at RumRunners. With a great selection of frozen concoctions to please anyones pallet. The Front desk staff, to include Mrs. Polly have always got a smile on their face and willing to accommodate your every need.
In short, I highly recommend this resort to anyone looking to get away with a worry free stay!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mike F
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We just spent 4 nights at the Sirata with their all inclusive option. With four children ranging from 14-22yrs, this was a very great option! There was way more food than we could eat and everything was FABULOUS! Chris in the Compasse Grill exceeded our expectations. We tried all three restaurants and didn't have any food that we didn't like. The all inclusive option doesn't seem to be used very much, as the staff had to be educated, but was still friendly and accommodating. This could be made simpler by offering a wristband for those 21 and over and another for under 21. The rooms were sufficient, they served their purpose, as we didn't spend much time in them other than sleeping. The staff was great! We would definitely return and use this option again. We never left the hotel!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family