“Nice Location OK Hotel”

Sirata Beach Resort
Ranked #13 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Reviewed 19 August 2014

It's an older resort hotel. The place has the apperance of being clean but if you look closer it really isn't. Our coffer pot was dirty and the room could have been cleaner. Our room was small but had a nice view. The food at the restaurant was average and costly. The pools were nice. As to the area there really isn't much to do. Very little shopping and not very many places to eat. I would not recommend St Pete Beach as a good vacation spot. Clearwater Beach is a better vacation area by far or even Treasure Island which is not to far from St Pete Beach would be a better choice to book a vacation hotel stay.

Room Tip: Book a hotel on Clearwater Beach instead.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tellingasiseeit
There are newer reviews for Sirata Beach Resort

Reviewed 19 August 2014

We loved the resort...Originally we had a beachfront room booked but changed to a suite...The suite was awesome and had all the space we were looking for....We were happy that they charged us the original room price...Internet service was on the slow side, but other than that we were happy with stay....

Reviewed 19 August 2014

So having read the positives and more than we cared to read of negatives we proceeded, as our first choice was booked out, to Sirata. First impressions always count and when we entered the building we were staying in the outdated furniture and décor was gobsmacking. We were shown to our room and I was stunned. This hotel is really a version of a motel which badly needs updating. We complained that the rrom, whilst we choose it, was not as represented and not of the standard we expected. We were upgraded to a queen suite for a negotiated extra fee and were happy enough to proceed with our vacation there as the alternative was to loose our payment (already paid through travel company) and pay high rates for a new hotel. The facilities, as it turned out, were good enough but really they need to paint this place for a start. There is a part of the hotel for conferences which seemed nicer and different (we had to use this access route when the lift was broken) and the king rooms had a nice situation but we werent prepared to add extra bigger costs to upgrade to these. The food was ok in the restaurants and the staff are very pleasant but we found ourselves migrating to the other nicer hotel amenities and restaurants and also the eateries in surrounding area. It was so so hot as we were there beginning August and the sea is very warm but quite safe...the pools at all hotels are tiny so standing room only when the hotels are full! The beach beds with canopies are a must and the only way you can survive on the beach for the day. This is a very different beach vacation compared to beach holidays in Europe....glad we tried it but wont be back soon

Room Tip: everyone is different and when im on vacation I like my luxury when paying for it so if you are the...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Octavia809
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This resort is located on a beautiful beach within walking distance to just about everything. The downside is that it is a little run down in terms of the rooms and there were just too many kids and loud drunk people for our taste.

We chose this resort as a recommendation from a friend. In hindsight, we should have consulted TripAdvisor to do a little more research but lesson learned. I'll try to do a somewhat balanced review knowing that we are biased because of what we prefer in a resort.

The resort:
Honeymooners and people looking for a nice, quiet, relaxing vacation at an upscale resort BEWARE. This is a very family oriented resort that is past its prime. There is not ONE place where you will be able to escape and have some adult downtime or peace and quiet. We couldn't even find refuge in the hot tubs!

One thing this resort might consider if they are so inclined is to have just ONE of the pools be designated "adults only". There are three pools, perhaps the smallest one could be a place of refuge from all of the screeching and crying. Again, we are not exactly "kid people" so if you are, this won't bother you at all. Just trying to set the tone.

The resort itself is situated on a very lovely beach. If you are a swimmer, it's probably a great beach when there aren't thunderstorms creating a lot of chop (I am a strong swimmer and struggled the days were were there). No sandbars or barriers really so if the wind is blowing, you will likely have a "red flag" day on the beach. There is only one pool that is remotely large enough to swim laps but it was filled with kids (no swim lanes) until 11p! So if you are trying to get some exercise as a swimmer, Good luck!

Harry's Beach Bar is the BEST! Wonderful food, great view and just a very nice atmosphere. The Rum Runner was what you would expect from a beach bar. The food was OK and sort of overpriced and the atmosphere was a little chaotic. Of note was the gym. Though there were only two treadmills, they were top of the line and the fitness room had GREAT air conditioning. We went to the Sirata in August so doing any sort of running outside was impossible. Loved the gym! Loved Harry's!

The first night we were there, Saturday, there was the promise of a live band. The weather sort of cancelled that out (rain and thunderstorms) but we never saw another band for the entire week we were there. This would not be unusual apart from the fact that almost EVERY other bar, grill, tiki hut and resort had live music of some form. We love live entertainment so this would have been a big plus. We had to go elsewhere for that.

Parking is an issue. On typical check in and check out days, you will struggle to find parking near your building. That said, the Sirata does police parking so that you don't get stray cars filling up the lot. Just know that if you leave and come back, you might have to hoof it back to your building. The good news is there are elevators so if you have a lot of luggage it helps. They are SMALL and OLD so be prepared.

The rooms are old. They are clean but outdated and dark. We stayed in one of the rooms with a kitchenette so we could cook breakfast every morning to save some money. The little kitchenette is very useful. Sirata should consider putting some salt and pepper in these rooms and a spatula - I had to buy one. When we first got to our room a musty smell overwhelmed us when we opened the door. Very disconcerting but again, it's Florida in the summer, at the beach. I am sure there isn't much to be done about that apart from redecorating and getting rid of what has to be carpet that's 10 years old. We soon warmed up to the room, however, after a couple of cheap breakfasts. The shower water pressure is a trickle at best. You will not get the Shower Massage experience but at least the water is nice and hot. The net of it is, the carpet is dark and outdated (if you care); the bathroom could use a facelift and slightly better shower/amenities but the resort is clean and we didn't have the experience of insects like some reviewers have described.

The people who go to this resort tended to be more mid-West folks trying for a real summer or locals on a summer vacation. That means a lot of fairly loud drunk people in the pools and restaurants and completely uncontrolled kids. Again, not our thing but if this doesn't bother you, then you'll be fine. I think what we were looking for and what the Sirata is just wasn't a good match.

Bottom line, if you are looking for an upscale, quiet place to relax, choose another place - like the Beachcomber down the street. We spent an evening there and LOVED it! If we go back to St. Pete Beach, we will likely go to the Beachcomber - great pool, not very crowded, wonderful beach front restaurant with live music and a very chill atmosphere. We could actually hear each other speak!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the farthest side of the resort if you want to sleep in. The screeching at the...
1  Thank elivela67
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

This was my 2nd stay, here at the Sirata. The 1st was back in 2006 with my father. This time, my boyfriend and I (~20s~) enjoyed 5 nights here. Our room was in building #3 & was accommodating: stove top, microwave, safe, fridge, 2 comfy beds. The front desk staff was approachable & knowledgeable. We had a request to find a restaurant with "conch fritters & gator tail" & hardly before I could finish, the man at concierge knew just the place! Impressive!
I noticed that on some of their flyers/paperwork, it had been verified as a "green hotel." I'm not sure how they attained that. The nearest recycling container was a good 5~10 minute hoof over to the Plaza's container on the beach. Also, daily paper delivery is nice...but no where properly dispose of them =( I understand the towel & linen efforts for conservation, but that's just about every hotel around.
For the value of the money I paid, I would consider staying here again! But I would love to see more "Green" efforts!!! That would turn the -consideration- into a -most definitely.-

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Arie_Valerio
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I am writing this review from my traditional oceanfront room that I have stayed in for 2 days. The room is overall very clean. All furniture seems new. The king size bed mattress is a little harder than I am used to but that is a minor issue. The room has a unstocked mini fridge which I prefer rather than a mini bar. This way I can stock it with whatever I choose. This particular room has a balcony with typical balcony chairs and a little table. There is a wall AC unit that does a decent job. I like it really cold so it cant keep up with that but it is still comfortable in the room. The bathroom is on the smaller size with just a shower, no bathtub,

We arrived at the resort around 2pm and our room was ready when we got here. There have been previous reviews which mention that parking can be an issue and it can. We got a spot but a little bit away from the room. Check in was smooth with no issues. The resort is pretty big so navigating your way around can be a little confusing.

There are a few restaurants/bars on the property. We went to Rum Runners and Harrys. Both were nice and great views. They are outdoors so it is hot and muggy. If they had some fans that might make it a little better. Food was average. Nothing special but nothing bad either.

Lots of weddings and other functions always going on. From our room you could not hear anything from the adjacent rooms but you can hear the doors closing and people talking in the hallway. I am using the free wifi and have not had any issues with speed or connectivity.

The beach is awesome and is really what people come here for. The hotel is old but updated many times. If you're looking for a luxury place such as the Ritz or Four Seasons this is not it but it is a clean, fun well run property. We will be back!

3  Thank lsarge442
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I booked this hotel through a Southwest Vacations package. I called the day before we left to confirm our room and ask when we could check-in. They said 4:00 pm. Told them would be there around 1:00 and if could provide a room earlier, we would appreciate it. They agreed.
When we arrived, it was crazy busy. Person manning the parking lot was letting everyone in so we drove in and attempted to check-in. They said it would be about an hour and would call us. Three hours later at 4:00, we went to our room.
The room was on the corner of the building. It was incredibly small. It didn't really seem like a hotel room but more like a large closet. It smelled, was very dark and dirty. There were stains on the walls and the tile in the bathroom was black. The beds were so close to the t.v. cabinet at the end of the beds. Just no room at all. The bathroom was right off the room, not in a hallway as you come in the door or anywhere else; just right there. The toilet and shower were in a separate room from the sink and it was so small, the door barely closed.
There are three pool but they are small and everyone was allowed inside (even though they had signs everywhere that the pools are for hotel guests only, nobody was checking and we saw people coming in off the streets and just walking in). There were so many people in the pools and it was very hot so the pools were not cool at all. We sat on some lawn chairs surrounded by people smoking and drinking.
All that said, the worst part was the customer service. I called the front desk when we went back to room and asked for another room. I explained why it was uncomfortable. They said they didn't have anything. I asked if I could 'bump up' to another room. I would pay more if needed but couldn't stay in that room. They said there wasn't anything. They did not say, we are sorry? Can we do anything to make it better? If another rooms becomes available we'll call you? Can we come see what your concerned about? NOTHING! So we left.
We take one vacation per year and it's short. Staying in a dark, dirty small room on a busy corner of the hotel is incredibly dissappointing. But the worst part is knowing they don't care. When we checked out, I told them why and they didn't say anything then either. They were short and just said okay.
I coudn't understand their response and thought maybe because we booked through Southwest Vacations, that's why they were so dismissive. But I don't know. We did get a good price for the vacation but it wasn't worth it.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank BRizzo2014
Curtis A, Manager at Sirata Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear BRizzo2014,
Thank you for sharing your candid comments. We are so sorry you did not have a great stay with us. Southwest Vacations is one of our premier partners. Your association with them was not a factor in your room selection. The day you checked in was a sold out day for us and you were right it was very busy. We try diligently to check in guest before our 4pm check in time, but this sometimes is not possible. There is no excuse for how we responded to your request for a different room. We did not have the option to upgrade you or move you, but please accept our apologies for not being more sensitive to the situation. We train our staff to be friendly and responsive. I am sorry we let you down. Thank you for choosing the Sirata Beach Resort and do hope you will consider visiting us again.