“Very much enjoyed my stay and the beautiful beach”

Sirata Beach Resort
Ranked #12 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Reviewed 5 June 2009

I was at the Sirata for 3 nights in early May. It was a wonderful experience. I booked a standard room but lucked out with an ocean view one. The grounds are very clean as is the beach. It is not so crowded you can't move, and if you are looking for peace and quiet this is a good place. Any music that was playing up by the bar was drowned out completely down at the beach.

You can rent a cabana for a day for $15 and I found this to be a fantastic investment. The only downside is they closed at 6pm so after that, no more cabana.

The rooms were very clean, I thought. Food was average. The food at the beachside bar was fairly terrible but the main restaurant was alright. The water was very clean. I overheard some locals saying that that was the best beach in the area, much better than Clearwater Beach.

Overall I enjoyed my stay very much.

Some tips:

This is a good place to come if all you want to do is hang out in/near the resort. There are some places within walking distance to go to, like restaurants, pharmacy, etc...but nothing special. I didn't rent a car while there and didn't need one.

This is not a good place if you are looking for an active nightlife. That part was a little disappointing.

I probably also would not recommend this resort for solo travelers simply because it is completely overrun with families and couples. And weddings take place all down the beach on weekend. My (now ex) friend was moping around in the hotel room talking to her boyfriend the whole time, and left me by myself 80% of the time...and I found that I was basically the only solo person there. So that was discouraging. I think it would be hard for a solo traveler to find people to talk to here.

All in all, good experience and nice hotel. Beautiful beach!!! Sunsets were gorgeous! I walked along the shore every evening.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank sweethearttx
Write a ReviewReviews (4,403)

Reviewed 4 June 2009

Location: It is at a good location if you are looking for staying at the beach, and it offers a good price compared to some of the other hotels that are located at the beach. We had a room on the 2nd floor (so called pool view), but unfortunately had to look pretty hard to see that pool. Actually had to leave the room and go for a walk before we saw it. Pool is very small, and full of people for that reason. A big mix of splashing kids and people drinking beer in the pool at the same time. No my view of enjoying some peace and quite by the pool. There is a beach bar, which is fine. Has an ok menu in food and drinks. Towels are free as longs as you show your "guest card", these you can bring with you to the beach or just laying by the pool. Renting the beds on the beach will set you back $15.
Rooms: Not the best I have seen, signs of aging, The room was fairly clean, but hardly any space to store anything. The bathroom was less inviting. Noisy shower and not built for tall people, not even for people above 6' really. As far as the room goes it was fairly humid, even with the AC running it couldn't remove the humidity. Which in results can make the room a bit smelly.
Parking: Yes, for a fee.
Staff was on a mixed level, whiles some were very helpful others didn't really seem to be happy to be there at all.

Conclusion: I would not go back as it didn't give me a complete feeling of joy. On the other hand, it depends what types of hotels you are used to from before. If you have been in Hilton, Sheraton, Marriot etc that also are 4 stars, this is quite below compared to it. It says that this hotel is a 4 star, but I think 3 would do. Otherwise it is probably good value for money, as it is fairly cheap compared to other beach hotels and other 4 star hotels in the area. If you are on a tight budget it is probably ok, if not I would rather put some extra money into another hotel.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 June 2009

Beautiful resort without all the stuffiness. Real people that care and are not just looking for the mighty $$$$$. If you do not have fun shame on you.

1  Thank winocat
Reviewed 31 May 2009

I went to the sirata may 16 through may 21. Be aware that there appears no one at least checking the pools and hot tubs at night. So you might accidently see something going on in them that you don't want too.Early on monday, a large group of 40 teens with backpacks came to the pool area. Initally, there wre over 13 -15 kids in the hot tub, They were loud and rude, making it immpossible to stay in the pool area. I did find out that they were not patrons staying in the sirata. but a church group and I was told by the front desk that I would have to bear with it.
The housekeeping staff actually flipped a bottom sheet over on the bed so they didn't have to change it. I also had to call for toilet paper. The next day I acutally refused housekeeping and cleaned the room myself. Two days later, put the sign on the door to please change linens/clean room when I came back to room, nothing was done, the housekeeper put a do not disturb sign in my door. I did get upset then. They did come and clean then speaking in spanish not realizing that i am fluent in spanish. Hmmmmm. "THIS LADY IS NOT NICE" .I can not repeat the rest. I actually had two nights with a clean bed to sleep in. Also becareful of the closet doors they come off the track very easily I am glad I was stong enough to catch mine. I keep thinking that an elderly person or a child could really get hurt. i just got bruises on my chest. Also, be careful taking food back to room, cheese cake had a moth in the container. Also found the toilets to be dirty, I did take the time to call and spoke with Jonathan at the fron desk, he assured me that he would get back to me. It has been a week. Also not that I cared, but it costs 15.00 per day for parking and the cabana and to be able to use the internet. I stayed in room 4437 facing Harry's bar. So... there goes my vacation for the next 8 months. I hope this review saves someone's vacation.

• Stayed: May 2009
Reviewed 29 May 2009

We've just returned from a week at the Sirata and generally it was a reasonable stay. We arrived late at 8pm (after a long flight from the UK and a dreadful drive from Sandford in a thunderstorm). The lady on reception was helpful, We'd booked a standard room and she gave us one with a beach view.

The room was ok, although it smelled rather musty. The beds were extremely comfortable and the linens were crisp and clean (and fitted perfectly). The bathroom was indeed small and although the shower was fine, the water pressure in the basin taps was pathetic. We had to call maintenance twice to fix the toilet. The A/C was incredibly noisy and we found we had to turn it off to get any sleep.

The resort's position is perfect...near to all the bars and restaurants. Rum Runners and Harry's bar were relaxing, if rather expensive. We didn't like the Compass Grille. The food was so-so and it was rather dingy.

For breakfast we went next door to the Grand Plaza for their all-you-can-eat buffet. For $9.95 including coffee and fresh orange it was good value and had a gorgeous view of the beach. In the evening there's a choice of dining from the very informal, family type eateries like Crabby Bills to the more upmarket Snappers/Madfish. Silas Dent's is OK, but it does trade on its 'theme' and is quite expensive if you tack on all the extras.

Rum Runners/Harry's/BongoBongos(at the Grand Plaza) serve beachside food which is tasty (it all comes from the hotels' main kitchens and is the same as you get in their restaurants).

The beach cabanas are a bit pricey at $15 a day, but since we were out and about most of the time, we snagged them on a couple of days after 3pm for $7. The beach is wonderful with plenty of local wildlife...herons and egrets, dolphins and pelicans. There's a slight chance that stingrays are lurking, so we had to shuffle our feet.

There are plenty of places to visit in St Pete. One morning we went to Boyd Hill Nature Preserve...an amazing place with lots of wildlife, including the resident alligators! St Petersburg itself is a bit of a let-down. We thought the Pier was supremely tacky and wouldn't recommend it. We did take a Trolley ride but to be honest, it takes too long to get anywhere and it's far easier to drive.

It was a quick drive to Busch Gardens and we spent a great day up close and personal with lots of animals and hanging upside down on various roller-coasters. Sheik-Ra is the 200ft dive coaster and is brilliant!

Apparently, after a long drought, Florida has had way more than average rain, but we were very lucky and during the the few rainstorms that did happen we were in a restaurant or bar!

I think the Sirata is a good choice if you don't intend to spend much time in your room. It seemed comparable to the other 3* properties. We checked out a day early to minimise the long drive back to Orlando and stayed one night at the Royal Pacific Resort at Universal (what a difference!)

For some reason, the Sirata didn't charge us for parking,

2  Thank SunFreak
Reviewed 27 May 2009

What a wonderful place to stay. We stayed three nights over Memorial Day '09, and found it to be a little slice of heaven on earth. Everyone friendly, service for room service was great. We had no problems at all. Sunsets are not to be missed :&) Drinks at Harry's bar are the best, they know how to make a drink.

2  Thank wrongwayagain55
Reviewed 27 May 2009

Although the Sirata appeared to be one of the nicest resorts in the area from the exterior appearance, we would not stay here again. The beach front location was nice (even though the beach had lots of shells), but the hotel rooms are in desperate need of a make-over. It appears as though the bed linens have been updated, but it's time to gut those bathrooms. We found this hotel to be over-priced and, unfortunately, past its glory days. The whole St Pete Beach area isn't what we expected...head to Naples, Florida instead for a nicer beach and experience.