“Great Hotel.. beach not so good”

Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #14 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
São Paulo
“Great Hotel.. beach not so good”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

The Staff was very friendly, they helped us out. They have prepared the room with the crib, before we arrived. the Restaurant have amazing food and service. The beach had a lot of sea shels... not so good to walk around with the baby tough.

Room Tip: U can almost always see the beach! great space and service!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jubinha

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (803)
Tampa, FL
Reviewed 5 May 2014

I guess I'll start with bad just to get that out of the way. Visit was May 2 2014 weekend; had three rooms for family to stay near by since I'm a local.

1) Outside bar management type person named Jake; am not a fan, kind of ruined our Friday night beach bar experience. There are other bars near by, so easy to walk elsewhere if necessary. Saturday/Sunday was much better.

2) The refrigerators in the rooms are the keep your drinks cold type, so they might get down to high 40's if you're lucky. We had milk for our little one that would not have been safe to keep in the fridge for two days, so we ended up keeping it on ice in a cooler we bought. Fortunately hotel ice machine cranked it out day and night no issues.

3) If you're in a corner room that has had a Murphy bed installed, here's an important tip. By default, the A/C units either blast right into the side of the couch or straight up into the ceiling. The end result is that at night, the A/C will not cool the room enough if you're like me and like it nice and cold when you sleep. Fortunately a maintenance person told me the workaround. Just yank the couch out of the way of the A/C and put the vent back on to point outward instead of upward. It will make the A/C cycle a lot less frequently since it's not just building up cold air in one corner of the room. That solved the problem for our second night but the first one was a bit warm.

4) The A/C units in two of the three rooms I had family in had mold in them... not enough to ask them to address it immediately, but enough to know it's a problem that needs attention. I found the mold because I was swapping the vent around to fix the above issue.

Okay, that's all the bad, not much eh? Good stuff:

1) The house keeping person for Saturday on our floor was named Junior. He was incredibly attentive. We got to talking to him since I had a lot of demanding family occupying three rooms on the floor; very interesting person. I only mentioned the fridge issue to him and next thing you know a maintenance person is there five minutes later.

2) Sunday, checkout time is 11am. Two of our three rooms we were late to get out of by an hour, hotel didn't charge us or even say anything about it. They definitely could have, but did not; great service.

3) I love the tile floors. If you stay at beach hotels a lot, which I did before moving down there, and still do via relatives, the ones with carpet are really disgusting. The hotel was full the weekend we were there and I never heard anyone clomping around above us so I don't think the tile contributes to any noise issues.

4) The Spinners restaurant on the top floor is great. See the reviews for it separately for more info, but definitely far above average for beach resort food.

5) There are two beach bars and both are normally fantastic. Had an issue with one of the managers I mentioned earlier, but all day Saturday, Saturday night, and all day Sunday until we left everything was perfect. You can get service on the actual sand if you want.

6) Unlike the rest of St Pete Beach, this hotel has a parking garage. Some of the competitors have really atrocious parking setups that flank the sides of the resort, or they just try to cram way too many cars in; Grand Plaza's parking is great. Oh, keep in mind that if you're handicapped, for whatever reason, people think it's okay to park in the loading area between the two handicapped spots on each side in the lower garage. So if you require that space to get in and out of your car, I'm not really sure what to recommend; you may want to intentionally park half way into the loading space to ensure no one can park there; only other option would be to have someone pull the car out for you so you can get in, or have the hotel tow the person who shouldn't be there, but it's tight quarters down there so not even sure if that's possible.

7) Buffet breakfast at the Palm Room is pretty decent for the $11 cost. It's not Vegas or the $50 Oystercatchers brunch across the bay, but certainly able to get your value out of the $11. They do have mimosas for $6/ea; not bottomless unfortunately. :-)

Room Tip: If you desire a view, you want floor 3 or higher. Corner rooms with the Murphy Beds are actually le...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my family.
We all love this hotel and stay here every year. It is the perfect location for our needs and on such a beautiful beach where we seen dolphins!
The hotel pool is great! Very big and has a good deep end which the kids like!
The food is delicious and very quick service, also the staff are lovely which means a lot!
I would recommend staying here as you won't find any better for the convenience and price.

• Stayed December 2013
Reviewed 5 May 2014

Very pleasant staff and nice clean rooms . Much has been remodeled with new bathrooms. Very clean. Food at in house restaurants much better than average hotel food. Rooms are clean and all look out on radiant views although we usually stay where we can see the ocean or a part view of ocean. Lots to do around the hotel area. Other good food outside of hotel property offer diners seafood, steaks and other things. Shopping is close by. It is an easy trip to st Pete, Tampa and not to far to Orlando or Sarasota.

• Stayed April 2014
Mercer, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We just flew back into PA from our stay at the Grand Plaza Hotel so I thought it would be a good time to reflect while it is fresh in my mind.. Going from 80 degree weather back to the upper 40's.. boo!

It was my husband and myself who traveled and used this hotel. It was my idea to get away for my 35th birthday! We stayed April 26th - May 1st on the 9th floor with partial beach/ocean view.

We went to Florida blind as we had never vacationed there. Our friends highly recommended Treasure Island, but we opted to try St Pete. I spent hours upon hours looking at different hotels and I am 120% glad to have chosen Grand Plaza Hotel. We did drive up and down the coast after visiting Caladesi Island and I must say... we WILL return to Grand plaza Hotel.

I had a few 'stipulations' as I searched and every one of them was met at Grand Plaza. I wanted the beach to be 'close'. Not like most places in Treasure Island. I studied the map and location tons to see and make sure since we had never even been to Florida. It literally couldn't have been any better. You walk out of the hotel and there you are. We rented the cabanas each day we beached it. I did not want to mess with buying and umbrella and chairs since we flew in. Nor would I want the troubles of any of that ... it's vacation :)

It was a must that I had a balcony.. because of my last minute decisions.. we had partial beach/ocean view and I must say I was satisfied with that. Beach front is always best, but our view was great.

Now... we were on the side of the bar and the music was LOUD.. if you don't like that kind of thing.. I'd highly recommend asking for a room away from that. I loved it as I sat on the balcony since my husband went to bed before me. I could listen to the music and not be at the bar area.

When you walk into the hotel, it is gorgeous. It is very inviting. The staff was extremely friendly, but not overly friendly.. I love friendly people, but in some places it's 'overbearing'. It really was nice.

The bathroom had a lot left to be desired.. There wasn't a lot of sink space.. I learned to work out of the drawer where I had all of my makeup.. daily necessities.. etc. The toilet did not always flush well..

AC unit was kind of loud. It did not bother my husband or I.

Our room was great.. very spacious. We had a king bed that was super comfy BUT the pillows were so tiny and too puffy for me. I suppose I could have asked for more and/or a flat pillow.

The pool was great. and the pool towels were AWESOME. I wish I had asked before we bought towels across the road.. it would have saved me $30 for those.. it was nice to just have a fresh towel and when you were done with it, leave it in the bin.

Bongos was great.. maybe a little pricey for what we got.. Fish N Chips was way over priced I believe. It was super fast and our waiter Beau was very friendly. After a long day at Caladesi Island we were looking for somewhere to have a quick meal.

We used room service for one of our morning breakfasts and it was very good! Quick and delicious.

We saw 4 weddings while we were staying at the hotel. It was beautiful to watch. Sometimes the elevators had a bit of a wait, but it was usually around the wedding times.

It is within walking distance of most anything you would need. Great location!! Free parking was another stipulation I had set.. Craziness for a hotel to charge you when you are staying with them.. so I was beyond relieved to see Grand Plaza was free.

We did not try the Spinners Restaurant as we ran out of vacation time.

I believe this is an incredible hotel to stay at. If this is your first time to St Pete, I highly recommend it.. Or if you are looking for a nice place to stay to switch up your vacation. We will 100% be back. Most definite for my 36th birthday, but I do hope a lot sooner.

I hope this review helped :) I took well over 400 photos this vacation, but will share just a few :)

P.S. I live for the site of a sunset... DO NOT MISS a single sunset if you are the same. We saw every single one.. the last night we were at the beach = no sunset.. don't miss them...

Room Tip: If you don't like loud music be sure to ask for a room away from the bar.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank beachyin14
Tunnelton, West Virginia
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I stayed at the Grand Plaza Hotel 2 nights (April 20-22) with my daughter and her friend and it was an amazing experience. The staff were professional and courteous with each interaction. Some changes needed to be made to rooms so they gave us a free upgrade to the penthouse! It was awesome! The views were amazing. Rooms clean and comfy. Beach was not crowded. The live music from Bongo's restaurant while lying on the beach was really nice. Spinners restaurant is a must do. Recommend going around sunset time. Will definitely stay there again and recommend to others.

Room Tip: Of note - they will match prices that you find online (like orbitz, priceline, etc) if you ask as lo...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank donnags4135
Lewiston, Michigan
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Stayed 2 nights at the Grand Plaza. The Lobby was very nice and inviting. The staff was very nice. The Beach was great! Bongos Beach Bar and Grill was great! Our room however was a bit of a disappointment. We were assigned a handicapped room, which we are not and is not normally an issue, but the bathroom did not seem functional if in fact you were handicapped. There was limited space to put any of your toiletries. The towel railing interfered with the sink so I don't know how a wheelchair would fit below the sink. The mirror was situated too high if you were in a wheelchair and was not directly above the sink. My husband was stretching his neck to see in the mirror while he was shaving. The worst situation however was the raised toilet seat which was not centered properly and shifted sometimes when you sat on it. Someone could easily fall off. This seems like a dangerous situation. I think they were really trying because the room was directly across from the elevator, there were hand railings in the bathroom and wheelchair access to the shower but there are still issues that should be addressed. I would likely stay here again but make sure to get a non handicapped room.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple