I have mixed feelings about this place. The location right on the Gulf is perfect. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. There is free wi-fi, HBO, parking, fitness room, beach towels, etc. Every room has a balcony and a view (ocean, bay, or combo). The decor has been updated (hotel was built in 1971), but there is still some evidence of its age (cracks in ceiling).
We arrived much earlier than our 4 pm check-in time, but got a room right away. Our room was facing north but had views of both the ocean and the intracoastal. Room had the usual amenities and nice TV, refrigerator, microwave, and coffee pot.
Hotel has a fitness center (no, we didn't even look at it), nice pool with good lounge chairs, the Spinners revolving restaurant on top floor (reservations a must; and it's $$$$), a nice breakfast buffet on main floor ($12) with inside or outside dining, and a nice outside Bongos bar/cafe with lots of tables and chairs (some in the sand and some on the boardwalk). Food in Bongo's is good but over-priced (It's a resort after all), and the drinks ($8+) have very little alcohol.
We had a problem with our mattress being very lumpy and complained the next morning. Almost immediately they replaced it with a nice new mattress.
Maid service was slow (mid-afternoon), and I did complain upon check-out that maid hadn't done any cleaning, just changed the linens. The service manager agreed and comped our second night.
If you sign up for the Grand Plaza Beach Club membership (free), you get 10% off your room, food, and drinks. We called the hotel directly to book our reservations and negotiated a slightly better rate than first quoted and got up-graded to top floor, nicer room.
This is a noisy place as it is next door to the Sirata Resort and Tradewinds, and the loud music and revelry goes on till 1:30am. (Yes, I took my ear plugs with me!)
The beach is wonderful here. Renting a "cabana" (lounge chairs and umbrella) is $25, and you'll need this if you plan to be on the beach for more than an hour.
Watch out for sting rays (April-October) and sea lice (miniscule larva of jelly fish). Shelling is not good here , just lots of penny-sized ones and broken pieces.
You can rent a paddle board, jet ski, and go para-sailing here. We chose to swim, eat, nap, eat, and drink and eat. A nice get-away for a couple of days and only an hour from our home. Next time, no thanks.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel is located directly on the beach and Gulf of Mexico. The Resort features a wide selection of luxurious guestrooms with furnished private balconies and all the best full service resort amenities for the leisure or business travelers. Featuring 4 Restaurants - Spinners Rooftop Revolving Bistro & Lounge, Level 11 Rooftop Lounge, Bongos Beach Bar & Grill, and the Palm Room Restaurant. 3 Lounges, Heated Swimming Pool. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TravelUp, Ebookers, Priceline, LoveHolidays, Hotels.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel & Conference Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel Saint Pete Beach
- Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel And Conference Center
- Grand Plaza Beachfront Hotel
- Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel & Conference Center St. Pete Beach, Florida