Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #14 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Average!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

Very much average. Good location on the beach, rather tacky hotel. We had booked through a travel agent & had a voucher for the breakfast. Reception & management insisted this was just a 'suggestion' of breakfast and tried to charge us for breakfast, instead we opted to eat out & sought a refund through our travel agent.
Everything about this hotel is okay for a night or two, but wouldn't stay there any longer. The branding of the hotel was odd, and everything seemed a bit tacky.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (783)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stephen S is amazing and does the most for his customers.... very friendly and very attentive..... has made amazing drinks and hope he is here next year when we come back.. hope he can be the bartender for our wedding which will be here. Thank u to him personally. ..

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank cwells373
Hamlet, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

My family of four recently returned from out first trip to St. Pete and the Grand Plaza Hotel. We had a 4 night vacation that was very restful and pleasant. Prior to making reservations, I read reviews for all comparable hotels on the beach in St. Pete. All of which had their share of pros and cons. In the end, I decided to try the Grand Plaza. Though many reviews commented on issues with housekeeping, I did not find that to be true at all. Our room was very clean with no signs of negligent housekeeping. I have to praise the customer service at the hotel. From the time we checked in until the day we checked out, every employee was pleasant and most helpful! Some of the reviews also commented that the food at the hotel restaurants was mediocre or less. I do not agree with that at all! We ate at all three restaurants during out stay and were pleased each time. They were a little pricey, but exactly what I would expect for hotel restaurants. I must say that our dining experience at Spinners was exceptional! The food, service, and view were all beyond our expectations! The pool area is a little small, but very well kept and comfortable. We saw several weddings on the grounds during our stay. They were beautiful! Although some of the reviews I previously read complained of the noise level late at night from wedding receptions and live entertainment at Bongos, we did not experience either. Our room was a direct ocean front room on the fifth floor. We were directly above the pool and had NO issues with noise throughout our stay. The one and only complaint I have about our stay stems from my own error in judgement. With 2 older children, my husband and myself, I should have insisted on booking a suite. The regular room is very small to accommodate 4 people for four nights. The bathroom is also minimal space. I think both would be fine for 2 people or maybe even 3, but we were very cramped. However, we did not let the size of the room interfere with our vacation. We enjoyed it just the same! As far as the beach and the view, both are beautiful beyond words! I spent most of the time in awe of my surroundings! With no additional resort fees, parking fees, wi-fi fees, etc, I feel that this hotel is a good value for the location.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Nicole P
Carlisle, Uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

My husband and I love St Pete's. Over the last few years we've stayed in apartments a short drive away from the actual beach, but we decided to go back beach-side this time. I have to say, it's changed quite a lot since our previous visit. It's much more commercialised with water slides, jet skis etc and it's extremely busy - more like being at a Spanish family resort. It's not our little piece of paradise any more which is a shame.

Good points......the hotel itself is really lovely. There were lots of staff around and all of them were very friendly and always went out of their way to help. Check-in was easy and quick. Our room was modern, clean, spacious, light and airy. Probably the best hotel room I've ever stayed in around that area. We were on the Sirata Hotel side and we had an amazing view of the beach/ocean.

The location is perfect for the beach and close to bars, shops and restaurants. The air con in the room was excellent and definitely needed as it was soooooo hot. Bathroom was nice with a good shower and bath. There was a safe and a fridge that worked fine.

Bongo's beach bar is a great place to go for food and drinks. Staff are really nice and attentive. Don't sit here too long at the weekends if you go to get over a relationship break up, because all you'll see is one wedding after another!!

Now to the not so good points. The hotel has around 9 floors and there are two lifts which take forever to come when it's busy. The corridors and the lift don't have air-con, so it's a bit uncomfortable and sticky if you have to wait around for a long time. The hotel was really noisy at night over the weekend. The place reminded me of Blackpool (in the UK) because there were so many loud, drunken people around in the corridors and in the lift (which I've never experienced before in St Pete's) and unfortunately we had a party of them staying in the room next door!! One guy in particular was soooooooo loud and he came in at 2.30am to carry on the party. We didn't bother asking for a room move because there were so many party people around we'd probably just have ended up next to another rowdy lot. The pool is way too small for the size of the hotel and all the sunbeds were taken very early in the morning.

I would say, don't stay here if you want a relaxing, calm beach holiday away from it all. But do stay here if you want a party atmosphere with lots of hustle and bustle.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank FloridaJac
Cary, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

Talk about pleasantly surprised...my wife and I were really pleased to have stayed there 6/29 to 7/5. We have never seen such excellent customer service top to bottom. Even when the reception desk was slammed everyone was more than happy to help out, answer questions and try to assist in any way. It's an older building that has been kept up really well which is obvious. Having restaurants on site that serve good food, reasonably priced, is a big plus. The rooftop restaurant setting has views that are simply spectacular and all tables are on a slow rotation so you get a 360 panorama that takes about 30 minutes. FYI the raspberry cheesecake is to die for!

The weather was windy all week which was fine since it was July in Florida. It is true that the sand does not get hot and burn your feet. There are beach cabanas for rent for $25 all day and $15 from 2 to 5. We passed. For us it was more enjoyable to walk up and down the beach.

There is a liquor store across the street (if you're so inclined) and a Publix market in a strip center about a quarter mile away. Next door is Crabby Bill's seafood which we tried and would not go back or recommend.

Rooms have a decent fridge, safe and microwave included. No resort fees either. We were on the west side with a partial ocean view room and the view was great. If we go back to St. Pete Beach, this is where we'll stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lovebluewater
Cape Coral, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

There are only a couple of things that could make this place better. One is a hot tub. I usually pick hotels with hot tubs on purpose because I have a back injury but I chose this one (which does not have a hot tub) because I got a good deal through my employer. The other thing would be to make the hallways not as hot. Our room was 60 degrees when we first went up there but the hallway was hotter than it is outside. Also our mini fridge was not really cold at all but I didn't have anything to put in there so I didn't complain. Bathroom could use a little more cleaning around the fixtures.

Other than that it was great. Bath water got boiling hot which was awesome. Generally clean, tv, microwave, AC worked perfectly though it was a little loud. We were happy.

Room Tip: Pick a higher floor and preferably on the side not facing the Sirata because it's really loud th...