Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel & Conference Center
Ranked #15 of 32 Hotels in St. Pete Beach
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We originally booked a bay view room, but we decided to upgrade to an ocean view when we got there- it was so worth it. I woke up early everyday and sat on our balcony and watched the waves and the sun come up, I loved it! We also loved the bar on the beach. We had a few drinks at night and listened to the live music. It was great. The only thing we would have liked that wasn't there was a hot tub.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,798)

Reviewed 12 July 2014

I went back and forth deciding on hotel locations, read tons of reviews, and finally decided to book this hotel. I am so, so glad that I did. This was a perfect hotel choice for beach lovers!

We traveled with our family of four (my husband, myself, and our two kids ages 6 and 7), and our best friends who are also a family of four (husband, wife, and their two kids ages 6 and 9). I booked the rooms at a discounted rate through Hotelopia and had no problems at check in. We had standard rooms on the 5th floor that actually adjoined - the hotel was completely full and the front desk explained they were sold out for the next five days. We received free upgraded rooms, I am not sure why, but no complaints from me! The hotel has free parking and not all of the hotels on St.Pete's Beach do, so that was a plus as well.

Accommodations:
Our 2 rooms were adjoining and on the 5th floor. A higher level floor is a better choice if you want a view of anything. Our room was a partial city/ocean view. I enjoyed the ocean views (even though they were supposedly only partial) and spent time on the balcony. There was plenty of room for our family and we did not feel cramped. One thing I liked was that there was a couch that had a hidden murphy bed behind it. It made the room feel a bit like a jr. suite. We took the bed down at night when we put the girls to bed and put the bed back up in the morning for more space in the room. The bathroom is a on the small side, but it was adequate. The beds were comfortable. The floors are tiled which is a great choice for a beach hotel. Everything was very clean and well maintained. The room had a mini fridge, coffee maker, and standard toiletries. The balcony was adequately furnished and spacious. One elevator was out during our stay, but we used the stairs and that was fine. Check out was easy.

Beach:
The beach was amazing! The sand is a powder with bitty shells mixed into it. We swam in the ocean, did some beachcombing/shell collecting, and there were even dolphins in front of the swim area. They were putting on a real show fighting for fish against the down swooping birds. I have never seen dolphins in the wild so this was a real treat for me. There are beach umbrella/lounge chaises that can be rented, but we did not bother. The beach was not crowded, it was a very short walk from the hotel back door (2 minutes if that), and very clean. The front desk has pool/beach towels if you ask for them.

Pool:
The pool was clean, comfortable, and sported gorgeous ocean views. The pool area filled up early and so there was some difficulty getting chairs by the pool. After a short time we were able to get enough lounge chairs by moving a few together (the staff did not mind). I am not sure if this is typical, but there were a few pool noodle float toys that the kids really enjoyed.

Food:
There are several restaurants on site which made meal time easy for my family. We ate at the buffet breakfast each morning (they have outside seating by the pool/beach or inside seating with air conditioning). The breakfast buffet was 100% worth it. They had so many choices and it was extremely affordable.

For lunch and dinner we tried Bongos. I loved the atmosphere and the feel of the restaurant (plus the ocean views as Bongos is right on the sandy beach), but the lunch and dinner menu are the same which left a lot to be desired. The food was not good (either time), the service was even worse, and the prices were sky high (we spent well over $100 for our family of 4 on lunch with food like burgers and tacos). We did not try Spinners. I would go to Bongos again because it is convenient, but only for drinks or snacks and the great beach atmosphere. The service and food were very bad. We tried a Greek place in town and the food/service was so much better.

Overall, I would definitely go back and stay again. The location cannot be beat!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Jennifer G
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel again this past May and once again we were very satisfied. The hotel is right on the beach and within walking distance of restaurants, grocery store, drugstore, liquor store and beach bars. Their own beach bar, Bongos, has entertainment every night and great food. The revolving restaurant, Spinners, on top of the hotel has amazing views night or day! Highly recommend this hotel...I think we may even go back a 3rd year :) The free beach rides are a great idea!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MaizieMarley
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Very much average. Good location on the beach, rather tacky hotel. We had booked through a travel agent & had a voucher for the breakfast. Reception & management insisted this was just a 'suggestion' of breakfast and tried to charge us for breakfast, instead we opted to eat out & sought a refund through our travel agent.
Everything about this hotel is okay for a night or two, but wouldn't stay there any longer. The branding of the hotel was odd, and everything seemed a bit tacky.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stephen S is amazing and does the most for his customers.... very friendly and very attentive..... has made amazing drinks and hope he is here next year when we come back.. hope he can be the bartender for our wedding which will be here. Thank u to him personally. ..

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank cwells373
Reviewed 8 July 2014

My family of four recently returned from out first trip to St. Pete and the Grand Plaza Hotel. We had a 4 night vacation that was very restful and pleasant. Prior to making reservations, I read reviews for all comparable hotels on the beach in St. Pete. All of which had their share of pros and cons. In the end, I decided to try the Grand Plaza. Though many reviews commented on issues with housekeeping, I did not find that to be true at all. Our room was very clean with no signs of negligent housekeeping. I have to praise the customer service at the hotel. From the time we checked in until the day we checked out, every employee was pleasant and most helpful! Some of the reviews also commented that the food at the hotel restaurants was mediocre or less. I do not agree with that at all! We ate at all three restaurants during out stay and were pleased each time. They were a little pricey, but exactly what I would expect for hotel restaurants. I must say that our dining experience at Spinners was exceptional! The food, service, and view were all beyond our expectations! The pool area is a little small, but very well kept and comfortable. We saw several weddings on the grounds during our stay. They were beautiful! Although some of the reviews I previously read complained of the noise level late at night from wedding receptions and live entertainment at Bongos, we did not experience either. Our room was a direct ocean front room on the fifth floor. We were directly above the pool and had NO issues with noise throughout our stay. The one and only complaint I have about our stay stems from my own error in judgement. With 2 older children, my husband and myself, I should have insisted on booking a suite. The regular room is very small to accommodate 4 people for four nights. The bathroom is also minimal space. I think both would be fine for 2 people or maybe even 3, but we were very cramped. However, we did not let the size of the room interfere with our vacation. We enjoyed it just the same! As far as the beach and the view, both are beautiful beyond words! I spent most of the time in awe of my surroundings! With no additional resort fees, parking fees, wi-fi fees, etc, I feel that this hotel is a good value for the location.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Nicole P
Reviewed 8 July 2014

My husband and I love St Pete's. Over the last few years we've stayed in apartments a short drive away from the actual beach, but we decided to go back beach-side this time. I have to say, it's changed quite a lot since our previous visit. It's much more commercialised with water slides, jet skis etc and it's extremely busy - more like being at a Spanish family resort. It's not our little piece of paradise any more which is a shame.

Good points......the hotel itself is really lovely. There were lots of staff around and all of them were very friendly and always went out of their way to help. Check-in was easy and quick. Our room was modern, clean, spacious, light and airy. Probably the best hotel room I've ever stayed in around that area. We were on the Sirata Hotel side and we had an amazing view of the beach/ocean.

The location is perfect for the beach and close to bars, shops and restaurants. The air con in the room was excellent and definitely needed as it was soooooo hot. Bathroom was nice with a good shower and bath. There was a safe and a fridge that worked fine.

Bongo's beach bar is a great place to go for food and drinks. Staff are really nice and attentive. Don't sit here too long at the weekends if you go to get over a relationship break up, because all you'll see is one wedding after another!!

Now to the not so good points. The hotel has around 9 floors and there are two lifts which take forever to come when it's busy. The corridors and the lift don't have air-con, so it's a bit uncomfortable and sticky if you have to wait around for a long time. The hotel was really noisy at night over the weekend. The place reminded me of Blackpool (in the UK) because there were so many loud, drunken people around in the corridors and in the lift (which I've never experienced before in St Pete's) and unfortunately we had a party of them staying in the room next door!! One guy in particular was soooooooo loud and he came in at 2.30am to carry on the party. We didn't bother asking for a room move because there were so many party people around we'd probably just have ended up next to another rowdy lot. The pool is way too small for the size of the hotel and all the sunbeds were taken very early in the morning.

I would say, don't stay here if you want a relaxing, calm beach holiday away from it all. But do stay here if you want a party atmosphere with lots of hustle and bustle.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple