During our two week holiday to Orlando with our friends and their three grown up daughters and five grandchildren we decided to treat our friend as it was her birthday whilst away. Her husband had already stated he wanted to visit St Pete's for the day so we booked a couple of nights here , (just for the really grown ups) all the booking was done on the net from the UK and was easy, we also called the hotel top arrange champagne for the birthday. (we got Cava rather than champagne but I prefer Cava so I didn't care).
we arrived around lunch time there was ample, patrolled car parking. We had booked the room from 1600hrs but with 5 mins we were allowed to go into our rooms, I think they only delayed us so that the Cava could be put in the rooms. We asked for and were given adjoining rooms. Even had a connecting door!.
1st impression was that the hotel was airy , cool and clean with lifts to all floors, the outside scenic lift to the restaurant was closed for repairs so didn't get to ride it. the lifts get busy at breakfast time.
the rooms were spotless and the beds massive, at least queen size. the only drawback was the quite noisy air conditioning unit, very efficient but noisy. The rooms equipped with TV fridge and brewing facilities.
The pool area was clean but limited sun bed availability, not surprising as any more beds would completely clutter the pool area but as the hotel was on the beach you could go to the beach and chose pool or sea for your cooling dip. Bongo bar that is connected to the hotel is directly on the beach and serves snacks , beers and cocktails, and the prices are average for the area/location. $4 for a beer. $10 for a substantial snack. friendly staff. There are several live musicians throughout the day. Stephen the evening time bar man is a proper barman, I really appreciate when you are recognised the following night and he remembers your order. on the first night we were advised to be at Bongos for 830pm to watch the sunset, we did; and got our complementary sunset shooters but the clouds rolled in and spoiled the magic.
we had breakfast both days, I had steak n eggs first day , didn't really enjoy (too heavy) so had the buffet the following day and stuffed myself on pancakes. I think the breakfast cost $10-11.
you can hire double cabanas on the beach for $25. or $15 after 2pm. they are useful as I got too much sun on the second day and sheltered under the cabana. the hotel provides towels that can be taken on the beach. I don't know who owns the cabanas ? the beach was clean and the sea was lovely and warm.
on the first evening we visited a nearby crab restaurant which was reasonably priced but on the second evening we used the roof top revolving restaurant, we made our reservation quite easily from the UK . the setting was superb as we watched the sunset.
A meal for four with cocktails, bottle of wine and coffees and cognac to finish came to just over $230. which was cheaper than we paid in a Disney self service two nights earlier.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel is located directly on the beach and Gulf of Mexico. The Resort features a wide selection of luxurious guestrooms with furnished private balconies and all the best full service resort amenities for the leisure or business travelers. Featuring 4 Restaurants - Spinners Rooftop Revolving Bistro & Lounge, Level 11 Rooftop Lounge, Bongos Beach Bar & Grill, and the Palm Room Restaurant. 3 Lounges, Heated Swimming Pool. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Alpha Holidays Limited, Booking.com, bedfinder AG, LoveHolidays, TravelUp, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Agoda, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel & Conference Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel Saint Pete Beach
- Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel And Conference Center
- Grand Plaza Beachfront Hotel
- Grand Plaza Beachfront Resort Hotel & Conference Center St. Pete Beach, Florida