“Superb.”

GreenLeadersGold level
Toronto, Canada
“Superb.”
Reviewed 15 November 2011

Just superb. From the staff to the room to the location on the beach to the amenities (pool, mini golf etc.), this place is just superb. I was blown away by the cleanliness and size of the room I had booked. It was just me on a last minute trip to St Pete and I got a remarkable last minute deal for this place, and I couldn't have been happier. Wish i had had more time to stay another night or two.

Stay here!!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Torontofreewalk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (566)
  • Polish first
Onaway, Michigan
Reviewed 15 November 2011

Clean, good value. Stayed here with my daughter. We were comfortable, had everything we needed. Close to restaurants, stores, the beach. We enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: I had a suite, which was small but modern, clean, and affordable.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank bevOnaway_Michigan
jacksonville, fl
Reviewed 6 November 2011

OK, let me start this review with a disclaimer without trying to sound snotty. We are used to staying at places much nicer than this. So, I think this review may be more a reflection of that than the place itself. In other words, if you go in with the right expectations, you probably won't be disappointed. We stayed in a room with a balcony that faces the gulf on the lower level during the last week in October, 2011. Based on the overwhelming number of positive reviews we expected a bit more.

1. Location - A. Great location on the beach. literally a few minutes walk to walgreens. A grocery store and ice cream shop are within walking distance as well. Just a few minutes from the adorable pass-a-grille. Sunsets were beautiful from the pool area

2. Amenities in room - B+. Nice big fridge and wall mounted TV that swiveled. The "kitchen" was small. REAL small. No oven and just a couple of burners. But the dishes and silverware were well stocked which was nice. There is a coffee maker but NO coffee in the room for those diehards that can't seem to function without that first cup in the morning. Bring some with you. There is, however, coffee in a room off the office.

3. Bathroom - B. The bathroom is small, as other reviewers have mentioned. But how much time do you spend in there, really. The shower was great. There is also a full length mirror just outside the bathroom which was nice.

4. Furniture in room - B-. The bed was ok and there were plenty of pillows. The kitchen table was a decent size with 3 chairs. The couch, however, was awful. It felt like I was sitting on lawn furniture padding on top of plywood. Every time I sat the cushion slipped out from underneath me. I picked up the cushion and sure enough - plywood. It was extremely uncomfortable.

5. Smell - C. The place smelled old and musty. After a few minutes your nose adapts but walking in the room for the first time it assaults your senses. Near the end of our 5 night stay my husband's nose started acting up and we blamed the air in the room.

6. Happy hour! - C. Why have happy hour in a stuffy, dank, crowded room near the office when you have a beautiful pool with a beautiful view and a covered seating area?? I didn't understand this at all unless the intent was to discourage patrons. We went only once.

7. Free cabanas - D. These clamshell cabanas are just outside the pool area. They cannot be moved and during our stay, couldn't be used because all the seat cushions had been removed. Perhaps they were being repaired, the front desk seemed surprised to hear they weren't there and had no explanation. More than that, they are positioned so that there is no protection from the sun. There are, however, lots of chairs, mats, boogie boards etc that are free for patrons to use just outside the pool. They were a bit on the rusty side, but I was grateful that they were there nonetheless.

8. The pool - A. The area was clean and maintained daily. The kids really enjoyed the life size set and the shuffleboard. There is plenty of covered round tables outside. The grills got a good workout from other patrons and made the area smell very good!

Overall, for the location and the price, it's a great place. But we probably won't be back. Would be recommend to a friend? Yes we would, but with caveats and a clear understanding of what to expect. thanks for listening.

Room Tip: gulf side view was very nice and I heard the rooms closer to the street were noisy.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jodisims
Plaza-Resorts_Owner, General Manager at Plaza Beach Hotel - Beachfront Resort, responded to this review, 1 December 2011
Thank you so much for your very, very detailed review. I am very happy that you took the time to grade everything in detail. I am also glad that you were honest about your disclaimer about staying in nicer places. There are without doubt nicer places than our boutique resorts. I personally worked for two Five-star, Five-diamond resorts, prior to taking over the business from my parents. But the Five-Star, Five Diamond resorts are not who we are, and that’s not the expectation I want to set for anyone. So I apologize if your expectations were set high because of the all the positive reviews.

I believe we get a lot of positive reviews because we deliver on what we promise. I am on property daily, as is my entire family, to ensure this is true. We don’t promise, valet parking, shoe shine service, marble floors, 24-rooms service, turn-down service at $400.00-$600.00 dollars per night. We offer a resort style vacation, with updated accommodations, great service, clean rooms, and great amenities at the best possible price to make it affordable for all to enjoy a great beach vacation. Our three resorts are boutique resorts, not large scale resorts, however we offer many of the same amenities and other amenities exclusive to our resorts such as the ability to “Stay at One Resort and Play at All three Resorts” This offers guest the best of three properties including, Two Large Heated Pools, Beach Cabana’s, Fishing off our private fishing piers, Fishing pole rental, Boat slips, Boat parking, Pet friendly rooms at the Bay Palms Waterfront Resort, Shuffleboard, Chess Board, Corn-hole, Free Happy Hour, Free Beach Towels, Fitness Center, Business Center, Free Wifi, and a helpful Multilingual staff that genuinely cares about your comfort and stay.

So you can see, in many ways we are a resort, there is a common misperception that resorts have to be very large, and that’s not true. Our style of resorts are not for everyone, I appreciate your honestly about mentioning that you probably won’t be back, but would recommend it to others. I understand that. Though, I hope that maybe we’ll see each other again.
I still quickly want to just touch on a few points so that everyone can better understand our resorts more and why we do certain things the way we do.

Amenities, it was mentioned that we do not have ovens, that is true and we don’t advertise anywhere saying we do. Also it was mentioned that we have coffee makers, but no coffee, that is true as well. When we did offer coffee people complained that it wasn’t their brand, so we took the coffee away from the rooms. We do offer complimentary coffee in the room next to the office as well as complimentary coffee packets on request for guest wanting to make coffee in their room.

Furniture, it was mentioned that we put plywood under the sofa cushions, which is true. The plywood is cut to size, trimmed and painted to fit the sofa under cushions. This helps the couches from sagging and makes it easier for guest to get off the sofa. If the plywood is uncomfortable, simply take it out and put it in the closet or corner of your room during your stay.

Smell, I have no idea what it could have been, I know which room you stayed in and I will send maintenance there to take a look, however it’s been three weeks since you have checked-out with us and no one has mentioned anything, but we’ll still check it out. I don’t know what it could be; all the rooms have just been completely renovated.

Happy Hour, you mentioned “stuffy, dank, crowded room near the office” this is the same reason we got rid of the coffee packets in the rooms, as I mentioned earlier, people complaining. It’s FREE remember, so enjoy it. Yes, I agree a poolside setting would be nicer, but the weather is unpredictable, especially in the summer, with all the rain. And then, it’s too hot for some guest, and then it’s too cold for other guest, than it’s too windy for some guest, so the easiest and safest place to have it is in the room next door to the office. It’s maintains a consist temperature, there are seats to sit down, and it’s close to the front office if anyone needs anything.

Free Cabana’s, the week you were here the seat cushions were being repaired and reupholster, and I forgot to tell the front office. I apologize for that and for you not being able to use the cabana’s for those days.

Again, thank you for all your comments, the good, the not so good and the recommendations. And I really hope that you do consider us again, now that you know exactly what to expect.

Robert Czyszczon
Plaza Beach Resorts
Family Owned and Operated Since 1988
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 2 November 2011

This is what you get when a family takes its business to a high level. Very clean, friendly and on the beach is al that you may ask. Perfect to relax.

Room Tip: Any room is good
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Alberto B
Lino Lakes, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed 1 November 2011

My favorite small resort on the Gulf coast - have been there NUMEROUS times and love it every time. We even got married there this visit because I love their beach so much. My children love it too - great place for families to relax and enjoy the beautiful pool area and beach.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Kim M
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 30 October 2011

We stayed five days, four nights, for a delayed honeymoon, birthday, vacation -- all-around getaway. We really weren't sure what to expect, as neither of us had ever been to St. Pete Beach, or Florida, for that matter. We searched online for a reasonably-priced location, with our only requirement: "on the beach." Plaza Beach IS on the beach -- on the Gulf of Mexico side of St. Pete Beach.

"Lu" checked us in very late on Monday. We weren't expecting two beds, and when we checked with her on this, she offered another room in another property (they own 3 properties total) we decided we would stay put. We are glad we did.

We met some wonderful guests, including folks who have been enjoying the resort since 1973! Wow! We walked along the beach, sat on the beach, swam in the pool, cooked in our room, and took free van and shuttle (golf cart) rides up and down Gulf Blvd.

We had one questionable incident involving the maintenance guy, the housekeeper, and the easy chair. However, Robert Czyszczon, Manager and owners' son, made things right and we felt great after speaking with him.

There were NO BUGS in the bed, the bathroom, or kitchen area :-)

No carpeting is a BIG PLUS, as we tracked lots of sand in from the beach, even after rinsing...

The Happy Hour from 4pm to 5pm was fun and there was in fact FREE beer and wine. The other guests were lots of fun and very friendly.

There was also free coffee at 8am til 11am? but we were already out and about by then. They also give coupons upon checking in to some of the local restaurants, and the restaurants honor the coupons.

We would definitely go back!

Room Tip: Rooms 116 and 117 are on the first floor and face the pool and the Gulf. Room 216 and 217 are the sa...
Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ChefwDrB
United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2011

Spent 4 nights here at the start of October (Superior Gulf View room) and had an excellent time. There was a nice atmosphere from the moment we arrived. The building is not the most modern but it has been maintained very well, the rooms are spotless and had everything you could want. The pool area was nice and access to the beach was very easy. My only slightly negative comment is that I would have liked the bed to be a bit more comfortable, its probably just a personal preference thing but I didn't sleep that great.

When I come back to SPB this is where I will be staying.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple